MPC's Pilgrim Observer (doing something different while stuck on the kitbash)

Thanks! Eventually there will be some conduits and equipment boxes added to the trusses.
The important thing is to use a truss size which lays clear of the retracted rotating habitat arms.
And even though this truss is a hair taller than the kit parts it still clears the retracted modules by at least 1/16 inch, maybe even as much as 2mm.

48808877023_1801edcd4a_c.jpg

48809372042_70582caa68_c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hmm, do I want to go shopping in crowded noisy stores on Thanksgiving evening or stay home and quietly paint model parts?

Interesting that the 3D printed Apollo RCS set ordered in September had rather better post-production cleaning than set ordered at beginning of November.

49140170132_c565599335_c.jpg

49139482523_27733a6d00_c.jpg

49139482488_c8d99eaffd_c.jpg

• 2 years later...

Your work on this kit is awesome 👌, I applaud 👏 your work.

I can tell we are both mega fans of Space! 

I  thinking of ideas to based off of yours, NASA ideas, Apollo Application, other blogs, freelance.... 

I just want to have fun.

I found a plastic X38 (NASA prototype for a lifeboat for the ISS a Lifting Body that had the same shape as the proposed HL20, the X20A, and the Soviet Rentry Test Vehicle that was photographed in the Indian Ocean by the Royal Australian Air Force..... I am adding it as a taxi as it looks like it belongs.

I am thinking about using the discarded braces from the hydroponic lab and and other arm that are replaced w/ brass to make lander legs.... the lander is going to be based on the Spacelab module from a shuttle.... the SSME's will go with lander.... 

I have a matchbox model of a Mars rover I will likely glue or screw to the base and thread an LED through....

53 minutes ago, Rocketdude1979 said:

I made drawings of "plans" showed my 10 year old, he didn't believe "Daddy drew them"....

Hey there! That's funny 😆 And cool.

Go for it.

Would love to see your build take shape.

Almost all hobby projects have sat dormant for the last several months on account of health things but a little bit of progress has made on the 3 rotating modules.

When I build the rotating arms w/brass, I am going to ♻️ repurpose the plastic braces as lander legs and I am going to use a Spacelab "habitat" as a Mars habitat/base/lander with as part of it. 

It will get some maybe N-Scale Model RR ladder stock and railing. 

I may use other Model RR details for items like for fuel tanks....if they look the part! So glad I thought of this! 

Then will borrow etched doors and an 📡 from kit to dress lander.

This X38 "Toy" is going to get a rear docking tunnel to provide clearance between engine bells/fins and station, would be nice if this had a node so as to make docking more controlled....

At least Tunnel protruding out will provide degree of protection lowering chance of engine damage +/or station hull damage from fins. 

20220526_211411.jpg

20220526_211220.jpg

I purchased the brass super detail kit for my Pilgrim Observer.

I don't like to waste pieces. The Work Bee/Pod will get Brass replacements....

What to do with the kit's? 

I think 🤔 of the first Manned Skylab Mission when flying arround the damaged Skylab Workshop.....

They attempted to wrestle the remaining solar wing free from the side via Kerwin+Wietz doing a stand up EVA while the CSM was only doing station keeping via thrusters and the crew and Skylab were pulling and pushing on each other, and Apollo was constantly either drafting or almost colliding....

My idea is to protect the Apollo M w/ Manipulators that can hold the CSM- in as a stable platform w/o docking to allow to act as a sort of "super-EVA work Bee" 

The shuttle rms used "grip posts" 

If these hands are to be  effective for spacecraft use "docking", there needs to be limited grip strength so as to not shear parts of the spacecraft as well as grip points/posts.

I found an online post about the Apollo Soyuz Test Project....it was going to potentially have a small RMS to "Play with but it was just a paper study....

That is my idea for Hands...

20220526_210809.jpg

In many of the online debates, nobody can seem to agree on the scale of the model.

One of the debates comes down to the CSM.... 

I have seen concept drawings of a CSM w/a shorty service module as it wouldn't be needed for Earth Orbital missions during Apollo Applications....

If this is an expanded CSM or Other Capsule with wider Base (heatshield) to allow crew of 8-12 then perhaps the Service Module is scaled down in length but has appropriate amounts of fuel due to wider circumference vs 3 man CSM. (Think of Saturn V S-II vs S-IVB Stage)

I have a million pill bottles arround, perhaps one matches SM....

I may lengthen SM of CSM.

Pill Bottles could be useful for added modules.... how to make non- Pharmaceutical....

On 8/14/2019 at 5:55 PM, southwestforests said:

With parts from the 40% off kit mentioned above, the habitation and engineering sections are being lengthened and getting the look I want.

☺️

Using a model scale of 1/200 the 1.8 inch extensions give 3 additional decks of 0.6 inch on the model.

That 0.6 inch times 200 (for the 1/200 scale) makes each deck 120 inches, aka 10 feet, high.

Which allows for headroom and the deck structure itself.

I know I want some storage compartments in the engineering section.

And a docking port for the workbee or a capsule.

So, 

Now the question is ...

Do I want any portholes in those decks?
And what should the exterior finish of the extensions be?
Tiles?
Metal?
Foam?
Insulation blankets?
Mixed?

🤔

48539439177_1454b1c528_z.jpg

🤔 Habitation section looks like toilet tank float. 🧐🤣

I have decided backing in to dock using the lifting body taxi will be dicey with 📡 and telescopes on top of the Command/observation area on one side and the rotating arms on the other. Docking other craft may be equally taxing, remember Mir? 

The rear extented section you built could have manned Mars landers docked back there for the trip. (Especially if large).

If partly assembled inorbit, A Pilgrim Observer Mars Lander/habitat could be based off of the Well understood M2 Lifting Body shape.  There could be a pair docked on either side of the rear engineering site you have built. 

The Apollo Taxi can bring crew from the transit habitat to and from the lifting body. 

Here are line drawings of M2 lifting body,

My 💡 idea, gleaned from other forums and inspired by your extension giving idea on where to dock "Aero-braking lifting-body Mars Lander 😀" (made from each half of the Pilgrim Observer  Shroud.....NOTE  the M2 shape is essentially half a cone, so inside each Shroud you can get an aero brake and Lander. 

Prior mentioned Mars Lander will likely be redesigned for a Phobos/Demos or Asteroid of opportunity 🤔 mission.

Going to try an unmanned Venus probe attached to truss....

382-FigureC-1-1.png

20 hours ago, Rocketdude1979 said:

Pill Bottles could be useful for added modules.... how to make non- Pharmaceutical....

Colin Cantwell's concept study model for Star Wars X-wing used pill bottles for the engines; outside was painted white, interior remained unpainted, revealing that amber/brown hue of plastic bottle.

Interesting ideas here. 🙂

Edited by southwestforests

My idea 💡 is to try buying 2nd kit.

Build one Observer Folded and for/extra Parts.

Launch 1 is the Nerva-Mars-Venus Transit Habitat. 

Launch 2 are a pair of Aero-brake lifting body that to avoid negative fuel cost will Coast to Mars and do a gravity/Aero-braking maneuver into orbit. They are Mars Habitats that can land like an M2 shaped lifting Body....

Apollo- Style Taxi will provide crew transfer to and from landers and P.O. main ship.

Dish Detergent lid to make atmospheric probes for Venus flyby....

I want this to be scientifically good to help my son get a science fair/Scout Merit badge.

• 1 year later...