I just uploaded paint charts in 1/48 (@150 dpi).

Links to the drawings are here: https://zactomodels.com/su-33_drawings/ (also note that I've reduced the price to $47 on the Su-33 kits I'm selling! Best price you'll find anywhere!)

I spent a lot of time researching the camo schemes and documented them to the best of my ability.

It frustrates me when I see kits that include multiple decal options but only show one camo scheme, especially on a plane where there is so much variation.

There are also a bunch of small details that differ from one plane to another. Little details like the thin gray edge stripe under the cockpit is different on each of these schemes. Details like the gray forward section on the Bort 80 IRST. The bare metal tips on Bort 68s wingtip pylons. Etc.

Also note the bare metal panel on the lower left fuselage just below the wing flap. I think I've only seen one build that included this.

Note that I don't call out color recommendations on the charts or my web page. I've seen a lot of discussion and debate about which paint brands are most accurate and haven't seen a definitive answer. If I were building one I'd grab something close and make my own color adjustments.

The main marking locations should be close. The markings were based on the decals that were being developed for the 1/48 kit before Kinetic took over and finished the project. The markings on the drawings are not necessarily accurate (especially the colors). Cross Delta ended up doing the decals for the Kinetic kit and I don't know how accurate they are either. I recommend Begemot Decals. They offer a sheet with early schemes (48-007 which includes Bort 80 above) as well as one for current schemes (48-051 Su-33 in Syria) which could be used to do the other schemes above.

The stencils and stencil location on these drawings is questionable (wasn't carefully researched), so check your references. Again, I'd recommend Begemot. They have an Su-27 stencil package (48-009) that includes decals and instructions for the Su-33. It includes 3 pages of stencils for airframes, pylons and weapons.

Hope that you like the drawings and find them helpful on your builds.

If you don't have the kit yet, grab one at this price while they last (prices will likely be going up a lot in the near future...).

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman
Corrected link

Wow, these are great! I only wish they had been available earlier. I am nearing the end of my build of Bort 80.  Yes, I got the bare metal panels on the lower left fuselage :thumbsup:. I had to double check a bunch of photos as that feature is not present on all Su-33s. I used Begemot's decals. Though good, the stencil data is not always correct for the Su-33 (remember, it is a set for the Su-27 family). Many of the stencils are oversized. Still, they are the best available. Your pics would have really helped me when doing the masking for the camo. None of the masking sets available came close to Bort 80's scheme, even though a couple of them were supposed to me taken from Bort 80.

Question, where is this "thin grey edge stripe" that you say is under the cockpit? I can't figure out what you are referring too.

In any case, thanks for these. Others doing the Su-33 will benefit immensely from these illustrations.

Mark

Thanks Mark!  :cheers:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Question, where is this "thin grey edge stripe" that you say is under the cockpit? I can't figure out what you are referring too.

Here is the stripe I was referring to. It can differ on the right side as well.

Stripe_zpsyoxnijgm.jpg

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Yes, I got the bare metal panels on the lower left fuselage :thumbsup:. I had to double check a bunch of photos as that feature is not present on all Su-33s.

Good on you for catching it!

Could those that you found without the bare metal panel have been prototypes? It seems to be bare on all production models I've seen.

2 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Thanks Mark!  :cheers:

Here is the stripe I was referring to. It can differ on the right side as well.

Stripe_zpsyoxnijgm.jpg

Good on you for catching it!

Could those that you found without the bare metal panel have been prototypes? It seems to be bare on all production models I've seen.

Thanks for clarifying that. I had it done already. Plus, part of that "stripe" is bare metal under where the boarding ladder attaches (looks like you got that).

As far as the bare metal panel, I went back through my photos and darned if they all showed the bare metal area. It is difficult to see on some photos and maybe that confused me.

One thing you missed though. There is a thin grey strip on the leading edges of the canards. :naughty:

image0009

34 minutes ago, Mstor said:

One thing you missed though. There is a thin grey strip on the leading edges of the canards. :naughty:

I though I had included that so checked my files. :bandhead2: I discovered that I had duplicate files in a different folder (but missed the canard detail).:bandhead2:  Unfortunately I used the older files so I'm not certain what changes, if any (none I hope!), were made. I'll compare the them later and if necessary update and re-post them. I might even include the canard edge :doh:

Drawings revised and uploaded (I didn't change the thumbnail pics).

18 hours ago, Zactoman said:

:bandhead2: I discovered that I had duplicate files in a different folder (but missed the canard detail).

Unfortunately the newer files did have lots of changes, some significant, some of which I ended up doing twice and some that I missed. Revising these turned into quite a bit of work...
Kind of embarrassing but consider that I started this project 5 years ago and just picked it back up a few days ago.

Here are some of the changes to the updated pics:

Adjusted camo and flag positioning on Bort 80.

Small adjustments to camo on 86 right side near flag and gun port.

Cleaned up some overspray on 68 right side. Adjusted camo on fwd fus in top view. Removed bare metal panel behind gun.

Spine blade antenna - 80 and 68 have fiberglass colored antenna with white base. 86 has med blue antenna with dark metal (gray?) base.

Wing leading edge dielectic nubs - 68 and 86 have gray dome. 80 has dome portion (removed?) flattened.

86 had tail ladder decal removed and tiger re-positioned.

Yellow decal under left canopy was re-positioned on two airframes. Radiation circle added to all 3 radomes.

There were a few other small details and most importantly I added the gray strip on the canard leading edges. :rolleyes:

So, if you've already downloaded them I'd delete and re-download if you're concerned about the small details.

I hope to see some of these built soon!

Thanks Zactoman! I just noticed that I missed the wing leading edge nubs being flattened on Bort 80. Fortunately, that is something that is easy to fix. :thumbsup:

Mark

Edited by Mstor
1 hour ago, Eli Raphael said:

I bought one of the first kit release back then. 

The ones that you are selling are the same ones that was first offered?

Here's Zactoman's original post about the kits. As noted, they are the newer version without the problems of the first kits released.

Can confirm.  I ordered the kit last Wednesday and got it on Friday (lightning fast shipping).  After looking through everything, I was only able to find one small and inconsequential sink mark.  From what I've read, seems like the first batch had a bunch of sink marks on the wings, tail and maybe some other components... but no such issues in the kit that I received.    

Zactoman is legit.   He even linked the .pdf of the updated and improved instructions and a new version of his paint scheme sheet without me even asking.   

From the looks of it, he must go through the box to make sure all sprues are as they should be as he placed his card inside the box.   Big thumbs up to you, Mr. Zactoman. 👍

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Here's Zactoman's original post about the kits. As noted, they are the newer version without the problems of the first kits released.

Thanks for covering for me when I'm not around! :cheers: Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, BaconRaygun said:

Can confirm.  I ordered the kit last Wednesday and got it on Friday (lightning fast shipping).  After looking through everything, I was only able to find one small and inconsequential sink mark.  From what I've read, seems like the first batch had a bunch of sink marks on the wings, tail and maybe some other components... but no such issues in the kit that I received.   

The new moldings do have some very slight depressions in areas but I'd consider them acceptable and equal to your average well molded kit. Considering the fidelity of the surface detail, I'd consider it better than your average well molded kit.

The first sets of molding had some bad flaws. Here are a couple of examples:

Sinks1_zpskojf6idu.jpg

Sinks2_zpsuvvrncub.jpg

Zactoman is legit.   He even linked the .pdf of the updated and improved instructions and a new version of his paint scheme sheet without me even asking.  

I've achieved legitimacy!!! :banana:

Seriously, thank you BaconRayGun :cheers:

The improved instructions can be found here: http://www.kineticmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_70&product_id=64

The new/improved versions of my paint schemes are the ones I uploaded to my website on the 15th, which I noted above.

From the looks of it, he must go through the box to make sure all sprues are as they should be as he placed his card inside the box.   Big thumbs up to you, Mr. Zactoman. 👍

I do glance through the box to check for any obvious problems. I found one kit with a short-shot upper fuselage and the lower fuselage sprue completely missing, so it's a good thing that I do check.

I wish I had time to do a "thorough" inspection of all of the parts, but generally just check that nothing appears to be missing without pulling everything out of the box. For those familiar with the kit, once you take it out, it's difficult to fit it all back in.

While I'm in the box I also re-arrange the upper sprues a bit. If you've received a kit you may have noticed a slight bulge on the box top and in some cases the box-art has been slightly damaged in that spot. This is because, from the factory, the upper fuselage is right-side-up and sticks up above the edge of the box. Simply flipping that sprue and slightly re-arranging the other sprues takes the pressure off the parts and allows the box to close properly. So far, luckily, I haven't noticed any warpage caused by the original packaging.

I've still got a bunch of these so order away and tell all your friends!

hahah yeh I learned that the hard way on Friday.  Took everything out of the box and put it all back... and it all barely fit.  I re-arranged things and managed to get it all in there, though. 

Cant wait to start this thing! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 5:54 PM, Zactoman said:

I just uploaded the following paint charts in 1/48 (@150 dpi):

Zactomodels_schemes.jpg

Links to the drawings are here: https://zactomodels.com/html/Su-33/Su-33_deal.htm (also note that I've reduced the price to $47 on the Su-33 kits I'm selling! Best price you'll find anywhere!)

I spent a lot of time researching the camo schemes and documented them to the best of my ability.

It frustrates me when I see kits that include multiple decal options but only show one camo scheme, especially on a plane where there is so much variation.

There are also a bunch of small details that differ from one plane to another. Little details like the thin gray edge stripe under the cockpit is different on each of these schemes. Details like the gray forward section on the Bort 80 IRST. The bare metal tips on Bort 68s wingtip pylons. Etc.

Also note the bare metal panel on the lower left fuselage just below the wing flap. I think I've only seen one build that included this.

Note that I don't call out color recommendations on the charts or my web page. I've seen a lot of discussion and debate about which paint brands are most accurate and haven't seen a definitive answer. If I were building one I'd grab something close and make my own color adjustments.

The main marking locations should be close. The markings were based on the decals that were being developed for the 1/48 kit before Kinetic took over and finished the project. The markings on the drawings are not necessarily accurate (especially the colors). Cross Delta ended up doing the decals for the Kinetic kit and I don't know how accurate they are either. I recommend Begemot Decals. They offer a sheet with early schemes (48-007 which includes Bort 80 above) as well as one for current schemes (48-051 Su-33 in Syria) which could be used to do the other schemes above.

The stencils and stencil location on these drawings is questionable (wasn't carefully researched), so check your references. Again, I'd recommend Begemot. They have an Su-27 stencil package (48-009) that includes decals and instructions for the Su-33. It includes 3 pages of stencils for airframes, pylons and weapons.

Hope that you like the drawings and find them helpful on your builds.

If you don't have the kit yet, grab one at this price while they last (prices will likely be going up a lot in the near future...).

I was looking at Su-33 stencils in Begemot sheet for Su-27. The stencils are by production batches. So I was wondering if I intend to build a Syria operation Su-33, how would I know which batch it belongs to? For example the three camo patterns in the thread, which production batches will they be? 

2 hours ago, stalal said:

I was looking at Su-33 stencils in Begemot sheet for Su-27. The stencils are by production batches. So I was wondering if I intend to build a Syria operation Su-33, how would I know which batch it belongs to? For example the three camo patterns in the thread, which production batches will they be? 

It really doesn't make any difference as all the Su-33 stencil diagrams are for the 4th to 9th batches. If you want to use Begemot's stencils that's what you get. I have no clue which batches each machine was from, but I would think they would have to be from the 4th to 9th. As far as I am aware, no new Su-33s have been built.

I will add that many of the stencils are not accurately sized for the Su-33. Many that should have fit into specific panels, based on photos, were larger then the panels. I just made do with what was offered though.

• 6 months later...

Yes, the planes are fading ...
But the most important thing is different. Comrade Zaktoman, does everything according to my materials, but for some reason he is embarrassed to mention my name, appropriating everything to himself ...

it is not customary for Russian people

Edited by Nazar
7 hours ago, Mstor said:

Her paint has really faded.  Would make an interesting subject for a build, no? :hmmm:

https://vk.com/id7938374

And now, a new model of the aircraft is being prepared for sale, which will be better .... because Comrade Zaktoman, unlike me, has never seen this plane ...  have never seen ... and all his achievements, this fantasies from far ...

Zaktoman appropriated the information that he received from me. He himself never saw this plane ...

Edited by Nazar