• K2Pete pinned this topic

Apollo Saturn V with LUT 1/290 (Countdown Inc. )

Dear Friends,

my Apollo stack in 1/290 scale is ready and I want to show you some pictures here.

Klick here to see how I built it.

GSVLUT002.jpg

GSVLUT003.jpg

GSVLUT027.jpg

GSVLUT005.jpg  GSVLUT006.jpg

GSVLUT009.jpg

GSVLUT011.jpg

GSVLUT012.jpg

GSVLUT015.jpg

GSVLUT024.jpg

GSVLUT025.jpg

Some details:

GSVLUT013.jpg

GSVLUT018.jpg

GSVLUT021.jpg

GSVLUT023.jpg

GSVLUT030.jpg

GSVLUT031.jpg

GSVLUT004.jpg

GSVLUT014.jpg

GSVLUT019.jpg

GSVLUT028.jpg

GSVLUT029.jpg

Here is a comparison of what I had, wanted and got:

SVLUT001a.jpgSVLUT019.jpgErgebnis.jpg

I hope you like it!

Thanks for watching and commenting!

Ralf

Edited by Ralf Spacenut

Ok - so I'm calling this one done - it's the Dragon 1/48 CSM.  Used BMF chrome on the CM and BMF Aluminum on the SM.  Scribed the panel lines and added rivets. See what you think....

CSM 1.JPG

CSM 4.JPG

PS - I added some access ports and left the high gain as the "gold" of the photo etch parts - just liked the look of them. Also put it on the nice stand included in the kit.  The engine bell I had the inner most section as a buffed gloss with the outer area a duller sheen - as per pre launch photos of the assembly. -Mission photos show them as almost a grey and dark grey - but these are after engine firing and exposure to the elements of space.

-ret

Hi ret,

you did a fine job! All those panel lines on the CM are very impressive!

But - I've never seen before those red rings around the Command Module. Do you have a source for them?

Anyway - I like your CSM!

Ralf

Hi Ralf and ApolloMan - thanks for the comments! The red rings are too heavy on my build, but I couldn't get the tape I used any thinner and decided to leave it - felt it added a bit of colour and contrast.  Hopefully they will re-issue - I bought two when I could a few years back and haven't seen them since.  Would love to have another - always wanted to do a Skylab CSM. Here are a couple photos from Apollo 15 and Apollo 10 showing the red sealant rings...

CSM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished my 1/144 Apollo 15 Saturn V model.  Here is a photo of her on her stand.

fxnVrn2.jpg

She now takes her place in my now complete 1/144 rocket garden of all US manned launchers.  Here are a couple of pics.

ebLSzeZ.jpg

That is 1/144 scale IMR ISS model in the background.

DeUbGJS.jpg

Here it is from a different angle.

The members of the garden are Apollo 7 Saturn IB, STS-31 Discovery, Apollo 15 Saturn V, Gemini 5 Titian II, Freedom 7 Mercury Redstone, and Friendship 7 Mercury Atlas.  Those models were built over the course of about 6 years.  It took me a lot longer to build a project when I was working.  Now that I'm retired I have a bit more time to build.

Now on to the next project.

Edited by as205
spelling correction
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, the photos are all here, heheh.    Ralf, I didn't expect your conversion to look this good!!!  Beautiful job, Ret!! Someday I'll have to try and build a CM -- the scribed BMF still scares me.  And Mick, that action scene is just plain gorgeous and real eye candy.  It takes real artistic talent to pull off something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I know, it's a month after the deadline ... but what the heck, I got 'er done! YAY!  :yahoo:

I haven't decided how to display this in it's final version, but this is close.

The CSM is too low and I would ideally like to have it 4 or 5 feet above the LM, but realistically, not gonna happen.

2v2E541egxAnAAS.jpg

2v2E541ZWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2E541KqxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for participating in this Group Build, commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the 1st Lunar Landing gents ... !

Pete