LF the 1/48 CH-47A. Can the F version be used?

ACH-47A 1/48.  Italeri kit 2647.  I don't know if the "Armed Version" will work, but, let me know if it does.  It'll take me a min to confirm the P/E though.  Should be in my workdesk.

PM me your email and I will send you a pic of the box, still sealed.

Edited by BrittMac
added sentence

To add to what Dave Williams posted, there is a difference between the A & F aft pylon.  The A models has a fully faired aft pylon trailing edge, which came to a tapered point.  From the B model onward, its been a blunt, squared off trailing edge. 

Also, the blades in the F kit are incorrect for the A. 

I just took a look at the sprues for the ACH-47A kit, and it looks to be a true A model, with the correct aft pylon trailing edge and short chord rotor blades.  The F model kit fuselage, as molded, can be a B or C, so the modeler will have to make some corrections to turn it into an F.

The 'F" fuselage has had some changes made to the front and rear of the pods along the sides. As it is, it cannot be used as a B or C without work on those pods. I don't know the reason for the changes, unless it has something to do with the bulged tanks on the E and G models.

There is a ACH-47A on ebay for about $80.00 right now. Fill in the aft gun position, add passenger seats from Eduard, and you're done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Italeri-2647-scala-1-48-ACH-47A-ARMED-CHINOOK-kit-elicottero-birotore/372502719375?hash=item56bae46b8f:g:eC8AAOSwUalb7VTJ

Edited by jstar
19 hours ago, jstar said:

The 'F" fuselage has had some changes made to the front and rear of the pods along the sides. As it is, it cannot be used as a B or C without work on those pods. I don't know the reason for the changes, unless it has something to do with the bulged tanks on the E and G models.

Are you referring to the actual aircraft or the kit fuselage?

For the most part the 47D started out as an A, B or C.   And the F will be a rebuild of the D fuselage. 

The original A's were easier to tell as they put roof stringers lengthwise to stiffen the bird as the A had a "Oil Caning" structural problem.   They also lacked the Aux tanks behind and in front of the main tank and there was only one filler point on each side.  I think the 47B's also lacked the 6 tanks, and the 47C was the first bird to be produced with 6 tanks.  But I could be wrong on that and the B 's got aux tanks later on. 

I only have about 4 hrs in a 47C when the our unit flew a 4 ship in last formation flight of 47C's to the Boeing factory for D conversion.  I retired with 600 Hrs in the 47D.  The C was a bit "looser" to fly than the D.

If memory serves there was a slight difference between the B and C fuel filler points and the vents on the top of the sponsion.

The blades evolved from metal to composite over the years.  A "Baby C" had metal blades, a "Super C" had plastic.

So you could make an F from an A, by first changing the pylons, blades and engines.  Not to mention the cockpit.  I don't think anyone but Aurora made a 47A with the original dual rear wheels.  But as has been pointed out, it would be a lot easier starting with a D.  Then all you would have to do is the glass cockpit, engine differences and various bites and pieces on the outside like RAW, radio antennas and Flare Pods.

The biggest difference, for a modeler, between the 712 (C) and 714 (C & F) is going to be the exhaust stack.  Along with the track for the particle separator in front of the engine.  The Reserve unit I was in started to get the 47C with 714's in 2004.  All my time was with the 712's.

Bryan