I’m in the middle of building a Tamiya F-14 Test bird for a work display, but I’m reading a great book about Sea Harriers. I’ve already started looking to buy the Kinetic FRS1 kit, while my F-14 sits waiting, and waiting. 

It’s what I used to call “chasing butterflies” in my flying days. I can look at my re-growing stash and recall the books I read that lead to buying more kits and filling up my shelves. 

Its a a vicious cycle, but at least this caveman is reading. 

Cheers

Collin

I usually build model airplanes and sometimes I just get board building airplanes. When that happens I switch over to building a model car. Now I'm going to really stir the pot and build a wood ship. 

On 5/16/2019 at 12:09 AM, Geoff M said:

I call it MADD (Modeler's Attention Deficit Disorder)  So many kits so little time.

Geoff M

I definitely have it.  I just finished an old 1/32 Has. F-16A kit that I bought in '95.  I started it shortly after that.  I'm trying (but I'm finding it difficult) to finishing some of the dozen or so kit that I've started and put aside, before I start another, but I'm itching to build a few others.  

Edited by fasteagle12

Some people isolate themselves by  building modelkits around the clock.
They have no shoes to wear, as all their money is spent on aftermarket resin. 

If you easily get distracted you loose interest of the (previous) project and have your eyes set on the next one.

In the end you wind up modelling models all your life and forgot to live.

Lucky for me, i have a stash, shoes to wear and occasionally i live.

Mine tend to stall when it gets to things I don't enjoy, so for me that is usually after major assembly and before paint.   It's the filling and sanding steps that generally result in a kit being placed on a shelf while I do something else.   Fortunately with newer kits there is less filling and sanding, but I still have a couple in that stage.  Most notably is my Trumpeter 1/48 C-47 that I started for a GB here early in the year.  The fit is not what I was hoping for and it stalled.  I pick it up and do a little work occasionally but overall I am just not very happy with it so I don't have much incentive to finish it.   

When I got back into modeling about five years ago, I worked on a number of kits at the same time. In a short time I realized that none of my kits were being finished. I would partially finish a kit, lose interest, and start another kit. It was like I was addicted to the thrill of "opening the kit's box for the first time". Now I only work on one model at a time. Not only do I now work on a model until it is finished, but I also have time to do other things (live life).

7 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

Mine tend to stall when it gets to things I don't enjoy, so for me that is usually after major assembly and before paint.   It's the filling and sanding steps that generally result in a kit being placed on a shelf while I do something else.   Fortunately with newer kits there is less filling and sanding, but I still have a couple in that stage.  Most notably is my Trumpeter 1/48 C-47 that I started for a GB here early in the year.  The fit is not what I was hoping for and it stalled.  I pick it up and do a little work occasionally but overall I am just not very happy with it so I don't have much incentive to finish it.   

I agree, filling and sanding is no fun. I tend to build 1/48 Revellogram airplanes which are notorious for poor joints especially at the engine nacelles. I put on some "power rock" music, drink coffee, and work at it till it's done knowing that the effort will result in a nice looking finished model. Below is one of my B-29's engine nacelles. It took multiple attempts of filling and sanding the nacelle joint, but the result was worth the effort.  Honestly, the music really helps me take my mind off of the filling and sanding. I find that building models in silence is no fun at all.

Uxc5IyG.jpg?1

I have NOT touched  Nor built a model for many many years.

I can take pleasure in those of you who do build and turn out some amazing  quality work and your builds are joy to see.

Life and other circumstances-{ MY MOM passed away in 2017 so that's  another of lifes things }  that evolve in ones life  takes away that time from  building models etc,; but still makes you realise that it's still great to see other peoples models and I am happy  with that even if I dont sniff the plastic anymore.

And as someone said it's not all about plastic /models/modelling as there is still life to be had.  

I guess some have gotten FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) so they get all depressed and worry about stash not getting done.So what..

go out and smell the fresh air  and when you  have lost the FOMO just carry on..

no one will  mind.

have fun.  and Happy  Thanksgiving to all.