I'm trying to find a photo of NC-135B 61-2662 (sometimes identified as JC-135B) that shows the top of the fuselage. This plane had a large SATCOM dome on the top of the fuselage. I'm trying to determine the shape of a flat fairing just in front of the large dome. I've scoured the net, but no luck. If you can point me to a photo, or any info, please let me know... Thanks...

Thanks Sleepy... I haven't seen the lower photo before... I agree, it looks similar to the saddle antenna on the EC-135C... Definetly not round, and I don't think it's even oval...

On 5/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, Da SWO said:

Have you looked at the E-6B Mercury?

Same dome IIRC and you should get good images by googling E-6 Mercury refueling.

This airplane was de-modified from the SATCOM configuration in 1982, LONG before there was such a thing as an E-6...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Sleepy said:

Did you see this?  To me it looks similar (though not as thick) to the saddle antenna seen on EC-135C/J/P.  Not complicated.  

swLndU.jpg

So borrowing Sleepy's pic, any ideas on what color the engine panels and antenna's at the top of the vertical tail surfaces are?   White?   Lt Grey?  

8 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

So borrowing Sleepy's pic, any ideas on what color the engine panels and antenna's at the top of the vertical tail surfaces are?   White?   Lt Grey?  

Very light gray.  Given that this airplane still has its original MATS delivery markings visible, my guess would be Boeing Gray (aka FS16515).  Lots of KC-135s had engine cowlings that color as well.

4 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Very light gray.  Given that this airplane still has its original MATS delivery markings visible, my guess would be Boeing Gray (aka FS16515).  Lots of KC-135s had engine cowlings that color as well.

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
One of my favorite things about modeling, is doing research. I just wasn't satisfied with any photos of the NC-135B that I could find in print or on the net. Some modelers kindly sent me photos of the aircraft I had not seen before (and I am appreciative), but none showed the fairing from above. I contacted the USAF museum, asking if they could provide a photo or other document that showed the "roof" of the airplane. Unfortunately, they had no such information, but suggested I contact the Air Force Material Command History Office at Wright-Patterson AFB. They could only "dig up" one photo of the elusive airplane, early in its career, and its very grainy, but it does show much more of the top of the plane than I have yet seen. The fairing, as best I can tell, turns out to be basically a "teardrop" shape, only a few inches thick, with the wide part of the drop forward. Its directly above the cargo door. (See the photo below.)

The unit history of the 4450th Test Wing, which operated the aircraft, could not be located by the AFMC history office, even after a wider search of the USAF. But, I think I can safely proceed with my build, and produce a reasonably accurate model. And to those of us who wonder about what "this or that" really looked like on the airplane they're modeling, I'd just say "dig!" The research is kind of fun, especially when you find what you were looking for..! (Of course, the risk is, it can also be pretty frustrating when you don't!)

b96f3a6c67f6d6907c5ff9fb9f7b5135.jpg