1/144 BURAN from ARK Model

I visited ebay, for the first time in months and saw an ad for a Buran. I Googled it and came across a Britmodeller thread about it.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033245-1144-buran-spacecraft-by-ark-models-released-soyouz-set-from-armata-factory/

This kit looks pretty good but the decal sheet was very, very basic. But one posting showed a full set of decals with White and Black tiles too. So I emailed ARK Model and was told that ... "The decal with tiles will be ready at the end of summer and we will start to add this decal to each kit.
If you already bought this kit you can order this decal separately. The price will be around 5$.

Best regards,
ARK Model Team "

I've wanted a Buran for awhile and am looking forward to getting it, probably sooner than later.

But I've got 2 US Shuttles to finish first ... ah-h-h,  I feel motivated!  :yahoo:

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

This is very cool.  Finally a styrene kit of the Buran.  However it almost looks like an Airfix Space Shuttle kit.  It's hard to tell if the shape, especially the nose, is accurate.

I don't see full 'belly' tiles on the new decal sheet that's posted in that Britmodeller thread.

Edited by crowe-t
10 hours ago, K2Pete said:

I visited ebay, for the first time in months and saw an ad for a Buran. I Googled it and came across a Britmodeller thread about it.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033245-1144-buran-spacecraft-by-ark-models-released-soyouz-set-from-armata-factory/

This kit looks pretty good but the decal sheet was very, very basic. But one posting showed a full set of decals with White and Black tiles too. So I emailed ARK Model and was told that ... "The decal with tiles will be ready at the end of summer and we will start to add this decal to each kit.
If you already bought this kit you can order this decal separately. The price will be around 5$.

Best regards,
ARK Model Team "

I've wanted a Buran for awhile and am looking forward to getting it, probably sooner than later.

But I've got 2 US Shuttles to finish first ... ah-h-h,  I feel motivated!  :yahoo:

Pete

Hi Pete,

here at Andromeda you can get the whole stack 1/144 by Realspace Models together with the Energia.

Energia Buran 1/144

Source: shop.strato.de

Here's a bit larger image.

Energia Buran 144.jpg

Source: realspacemodels.com

No matter which kit you choose, this model will be exciting, I'll stay tuned. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

I included their entire message to me. I can assume that you would contact ARK Model itself. When I saw the current kit decals, they seemed no different than the decals in the 1/200 Union Buran kit ... minimal to say the least.

Though it might be offered by a 3rd party, I don't know.

And according to the Britmodeller thread, there's PE available for the kit too.

Thanx for the link Manfred, but all I want is the Buran orbiter, it'll go beside my 1/144 Airfix, displayed the same way, with open Payload Bay.

2v2Jp91bhxAnAAS.jpg

hiya crowe-t,   :wave:  I can't see too much of a difference in the two models, like if the Payload Bay is shorter, which I think it was. There were some small dimensional differences in the actual spacecraft, but this will probably be close enough for me.

And we have gotten a little spoiled re decals eh? ... hello Hotdog?

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
spelling
On 5/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, K2Pete said:

And we have gotten a little spoiled re decals eh? ... hello Hotdog?

According to the ARK models Facebook page, they are updating the kit in December. It will include a very nice tile decal sheet that looks like this:

vxg1kw.jpg

🤗 🤗 🤗

Edited by Hotdog

Spahceba Yuri Hotdogovitch!       :rofl:

Those look like excellent links! ... I didn't see too many aft pix, but I just took a glance at them all!

Great visual information! I don't really wanna have to read a whole lot about Buran, but the pix, ...  just what we'll need!

Pete

The aft pics are in there, you just have to dig/click on everything. The navigation is not so great, but there's a treasure trove of stuff to be found if you can swim through it all.

• 5 months later...

I just picked up my Buran kit and the decal sheet looks mighty good! No Belly tile decals.

I also bought the Photo Etch set for it and THAT ... looks good too!

I'll build this kit later on this Winter ... 

BURAN-Decal1.JPG.5b2ecbb2e632a763ea83be6662c6a8f3.JPG

I have the art for the Buran belly, so all I would need to make a belly tile decal would be an accurate tracing of the belly of your kit. So if you feel like making this for me and scanning it in, I can make you a decal. Let me know if you're interested.

16 hours ago, Hotdog said:

I have the art for the Buran belly, so all I would need to make a belly tile decal would be an accurate tracing of the belly of your kit. So if you feel like making this for me and scanning it in, I can make you a decal. Let me know if you're interested.

I would be interested, that very kind of you. I am working away from home, stuck offshore for about a month, will have a look when i manage to get home.

cheers

19 hours ago, Hotdog said:

So if you feel like making this for me and scanning it in, I can make you a decal. Let me know if you're interested.

Aw-w-w gee-e-e Hotdog ... I thought you were gonna do this for me-e-e ... :crying2:

But definitely I'm interested. I'll PM you, get your email address and send you a scan, but it won't be for a couple weeks.

Thanx Laddie!

Pete

Well if I had the ARK kit in my stash, I could make the template for you. But since I don't have the plastic here to trace, I need someone to supply it for me. Will look for your PM.

• 3 weeks later...

I was preparing my request for a decal from Hotdog and noticed that the Belly decals ... are included on the sheet!

But they're WHITE   :doh:  

So I will assume that they expect the modeller to weather the Belly decals ourselves ... so that's what I'm gonna try to do ... but probably into the New Year.

Till then

Pete

Ret, I got it off of ebay from a seller in Russia.

It got here in excellent condition in about 3 weeks ... plus some PE for the kit too, from another site.

And this morning I sent an email to Ark Model asking them to, if they revise this Large Decal sheet, to print the White Belly  decals in Black, next time!

We shall see ... but I wouldn't hold my breath!  :whistle:

Edited by K2Pete