1/144 BURAN from ARK Model

• 2 months later...

This thread inspired me to get myself a Buran kit and the etch from EBay. It finally arrived! The etch looks great. My kit came with the instruction sheet for placing the tile decals...  but no tile decals. The EBay seller refuses to do anything, saying that the kit was factory sealed. And Ark models says that they do not sell the decals, even tho' they asked me to send a photo of the box. ?? Hugely disappointed, especially after seeing it all built up an the Airfix Space magazine. Could be a real stunner if you can score a complete kit. Otherwise it's into the space parts box for this one. 

What is the matter with ARK Models customer service?

This is NOT the way to treat customers! 

When you read the article in the Airfix magazine, was there any mention of incorrect decals? ... or were the full sheet of decals not available yet?

Thanx for this input SpacecraftGuy ... this is not encouraging to read. I've sent emails and had no response from ARK Model.

But I don't throw partially built models out, so will try to get it completed as it is just an issue with the decals ... but ... darn it!  :bandhead2:   :doh:

On 5/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, K2Pete said:

Thanx for the link Manfred, but all I want is the Buran orbiter, it'll go beside my 1/144 Airfix, displayed the same way, with open Payload Bay.

2v2Jp91bhxAnAAS.jpg

I can't see too much of a difference in the two models, like if the Payload Bay is shorter, which I think it was. There were some small dimensional differences in the actual spacecraft, but this will probably be close enough for me.

Pete

Pete,

Great looking model of the Endeavour Shuttle. Looking forward to seeing what you will

accomplish with the Russian Buran example.

Thanx Underdog! I look forward to seeing your builds here too!  

So, I emailed ARK Model again today and I just heard back from them ...

Dear Sir
Sorry but we cannot help you - from Jan. 2020 we don't sell Buran decals separately. 
I can advise you to try to find the decal on E-Bay for example. 

Best regards,
ARK Model Team

Needless to say, I'm disappointed, and I didn't see anything on ebay.

But I then emailed Tom at New Ware and asked if they have any plans to make and sell these decals for the Buran ... hey, you never know, right?

To add to this, if you modellers are looking to buy this kit on eBay, there's a Gold decal/sticker on the box that indicates the decal is the FULL size one ...

B box top 1.JPG

Edited by K2Pete

Well, Tom at New Ware responded almost immediately but ... no, New Ware has no plans to make the decals.

So, I'm thinking that I'll have to make my own decals, but if you're here Hotdog, what decal paper did you find that works ... oh, in an Inkjet.

Therefore this build is on the back burner for awhile!  :crying2:

I emailed ARK last year about decals and never got a response. I can’t comprehend the marketing logic of releasing the same kit with and without decals. I guess mine will sit in the box until someone puts out a set. 

So, I found out that Begemot Decal, out of Russia, makes and sells these decals for the ARK Model Buran.

I just ordered a sheet from him. His name is Andrey and I have to wonder if this is the same Andrey that we've had some email exchanges with already ...

But for $23.00 USD, (  $32.00 CDN ) shipped, I'm looking forward to getting this sheet in my hot little hands ... and fixing and completing my 1/144 Buran!

This is the response I received from Begemot ... his email address is there too.

... is that some light at the end of this tunnel??? ...  :yahoo:

Pete

Hello.

One decal with all thermal plates imitation with airmail to Canada
will cost   23 USD.

One nuance - decal is bigger, tjhan A4 size, for ship i'll cut its to
2-3 pieces, than pack to hard carton covers protection.

Sincerely yours, Andrey Kotkov,
contact@begemotdecals.ru
Begemot Decals
www.begemotdecals.ru

Well that’s good and bad news. I recently ordered the An-225 decal sheet from Begemot. Had I known then they offered the Buran sheet I could have combined my order and saved on shipping. 

Between transit and customs it took about 4-5 weeks to receive my order.  Begemot does include tracking.