Read about modeling or actually work on modeling?

I think I spend more time modeling but I haven't really measured it.  I do spend a lot of time reading these forums.

Geoff M

With my physical health being the mess it is now with several endocrine, neurological, and musculoskeletal, things happening, it is more reading about than doing.

Up until a few years ago it was very much the opposite, far more doing than reading.

Such as right now, my hands are stiff, puffy, and painful.

Will that last all day? Only some of the day?
Don't know.

6 hours ago, southwestforests said:

With my physical health being the mess it is now with several endocrine, neurological, and musculoskeletal, things happening, it is more reading about than doing.

Up until a few years ago it was very much the opposite, far more doing than reading.

Such as right now, my hands are stiff, puffy, and painful.

Will that last all day? Only some of the day?
Don't know.

I'm really sorry to hear that 😞

I hope you can get treatment for whatever is ailing you.

48 minutes ago, RKic said:

I'm really sorry to hear that 😞

Thanks, appreciate that. As of yet isn't overly much treatment available.

These things hit intermittently throughout 1990s then became permanent around 2006, and I had autism to begin with, so this life is being an interesting ride.

Model building has long been a coping mechanism as well as enjoyable in and of itself - my Dad got me started when I was 5. 😁
At this point one would likely expect my home to be a virtual museum of models, model trains, model rockets, kites, but several moves, and a couple instances of being homeless have had dramatically negative impacts on model survivability. 
So has the emotional impact of all this, two or three times when it looked like problems with my hands were going to fully end my doing hobbies I threw away a lot of models and model trains, both finished and boxed.

Currently I have a stock of models to do, and partly done.

Don't know when, or if, any will be properly finished.

Something is definitely happening in this genetic line:

Around 1986 my Dad was one of USN's first medical retirements, and I think actually the literal first, with neuropathy, chronic fatigue/myalgic encephalopathy, fibromyalgia, and a few other things; then around 10 years after that, his sister who is 16 years younger than him, had her nursing career ended by Multiple Sclerosis; then around 10 years after that my working days were ended.

My paternal grandfather built stick and tissue aircraft back in the days when you could go to a lumber yard and buy a balsa 2x4. He and Dad each were pilots for a time, so aviation and aircraft has long been an interest in our family.

It think about that sometimes.  My hands are starting to get stiff and achy.  And I have to keep getting stronger glasses.  I still manage to get time at my hobby desk.  I hope you are able to get some time at yours.

Geoff M

Doing nothing but reading these days. We moved to very small house on the Ottawa River last April. Absolutely no place to model, or store models, or reference . materials, paints, tools, decals etc etc. Off they went to a storage container in town.

Late last summer we had the house lifted and a 10 ft high walk out basement was added  using poured concrete. Got the basement  framed in and spray foamed. Then winter arrived early and stayed. Over the winter I began to plan and equip an area for modelling. Picked up a huge “L” shaped desk to start the ball rolling about  two  months ago. On April 29th 2019 the Ottawa River decided to overflow its banks along with a creek behind us. The ground water table rose along with the river until it was about a foot up the French doors and just touching the two windows. As the river overflowed further it completely covered our lawn to a depth of four feet. We were then at the mercy of the river gods. The doors kept the water out for about 2 weeks before we encountered high winds gusting to 50 km/hr . These  produced  waves 3-4 ft high which began bouncing off the basement exterior. Everything held for about 8 hours and then the waves finally compromised the French doors and water filled the basement . Our living area remained high and dry. We had hydro and water. We decided to stay during the flooding. We now have to canoe 1km to get to our vehicles. On Wednesday of this week the water level finally stabilized and began to recede at a rate of 5-6 inches a day.

So begins a lengthy and dirty clean up. It could be mid June before the river is back to its summer level.

After that is done I can start to think about a modelling room and  modelling again.

until then, I guess I’ll just read more!

alvin5182