F-111F USAF Painting in 1986: TIFU

Hello all,

I'm about half way into painting the camo on a 1:48 Academy F-111F and I've been working from USAF Tech Order 1-1-4 (Exterior Finishes, Insignia and Markings), and all was well in this modeler's world. 

Then I started looking at my reference photos for something unrelated and I realized that the camo of every US F-111F  in every picture I've got is different from this tech order! Aside from my being a dummy for not noticing sooner, can anyone explain why there is such a discrepancy? Are there older three-view diagrams that show the correct application of colors to F-111Fs in the mid-80's?

Thanks!

ScreenshotResize.jpg

Edited by Specter1075
2 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Then I started looking at my reference photos for something unrelated and I realized that the camo of every US F-111F  in every picture I've got is different from this tech order! Aside from my being a dummy for not noticing sooner, can anyone explain why there is such a discrepancy? Are there older three-view diagrams that show the correct application of colors to F-111Fs in the mid-80's?

Hahahahahah!!!   Welcome to the real world. The T.O. was a rough guide at best.  

Ok, that's not much of an answer. There must have been some at least semi-standard since different aircraft have very similar camo applications. They surely weren't just making it up.

Edited by Specter1075

I know the pattern was changed sometime between when the A models were flying from Takhli Thailand (when I saw them) to the F models flying in Desert Storm. As I recall the left side of the nose on the early ones was dark green, while the F models had a good-sized tan area there.

GD-F-111A_zpsj6djkmtz.jpg

Thanks Paul!

That's actually the first picture I've seen that more or less followed the guide I had been working from. It was that same tan on the nose that first caught my eye and highlighted my mistake. 

I found a set of instructions for the Academy E version online (I'm at work so can't consult the F instructions at home) and the instructions seem to correspond to the later pictures I have, and (fortunately) the parts I have already painted are not far off. It's that tan patch on the nose and the tail surface that seem to differ most of all, where the top of the fuselage and wings are not overly different from the AF Tech order. So this big problem is not so big after all. 

If you look at pictures of Stateside based F-111As & -111Ds, the patterns are virtually identical--some sort of masking was clearly used.

But, the UK based F-111Es & -111Fs had much of their maintenance done in Bristol where the paint was free-handed. The schemes were similar, but not identical. If you look at the right side, just behind the cockpit, you'll notice the some of them were quite 'well endowed'. 😉