Hi all, I'm currently working on my KH 1:48 AH-1Z, and am in the process of adding some detail to it - I've never liked having open photoetched screens with nothing behind them, and on the Cobra, there are a couple that are particularly obvious, because you can see daylight through them. As such, I want to avoid having an empty hole on my model, so I'm looking for photos of what's behind these particular grates:

I don't necessarily need extreme detail, but I'd like to at least get an idea of what's behind them, particularly the general location of the structure inside (e.g. is it a small "boxed-in" compartment, or part of a larger open bay, and if so, what's the general arrangement of the "floor/walls" etc.). I've scoured the web and the usual walk-around sites, and found a few photos, but mainly just ones where you can see that there's *something* behind the screen, but not what it actually is...

Again, not necessarily looking for extreme technical details, etc (though I wouldn't mind that as well), but more just looking for a general idea of how to "fill" the space so they're not just empty black holes...

z1.gif

The second thing I'm looking for is photos that show the areas behind the seats, like the center glareshield, and the area behind the rear seat. the few photos I have show that there is a lot more going on that what's included in the kit, but not enough for me to commit to cutting plastic just yet.

As for my plans for the kit, I'm building it as one that I've got a particular affinity for, namely 168000, which I got the chance to poke around quite a bit back in 2014, including sitting in the gunner's seat - I took a few "walk-around" detail photos, but of course, this was long before I ever had thoughts about building one of my own, and I also fell victim to the classic walk-around blunder of taking detail photos of the "big" stuff like the instrument panel, while completely ignoring things like the seats, glareshields, side panels, or really anything else that will be just as visible on the finished model...

14652731218_91a07ae3b7_c.jpgUSMC AH-1Z 168000 by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

14859243533_de1414af43_c.jpgUSMC AH-1Z 168000 by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

My end goal is to build another one at some point, so that I can have these two on my shelf together:

(Side note: I actually submitted a few of my photos from that day as reference material for the kit decals, but there are a few corrections that need to be made that are a bit above my skillset or patience level, at the moment, so I went with the "easier" one to start...)

14776378687_33dfdcf5b3_c.jpgUSMC AH-1Zs 168800 and 168000 by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

Z2.gif

11 hours ago, Falcon053 said:

I'm about start working on the Academy 1/35 kit, so I'm after any references also. I came across this FB post a little bit back, I can't remember how, so whoever did post it, thank you. It's a very nice walk around of a Z. HTH

https://m.facebook.com/oneofive.thud/albums/276547762457818/

Since you’re working on the 1/35 Zulu, you may like this, from Legends https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/cfloacqdae4uasbwwsxl.html

The first photo is a personal one taken on an AH-1W. As most Zulus are converted Whiskeys, most of this should be relatively the same. The last four photos were found on line and are the closest I could find. While two are of a Yankee, that area is the same on both helicopters. I'm hoping to get the MCAS New River later this summer or fall to photograph both the Zulu and Yankee in depth. 

777196-R1-31-16-A.jpg

5133105.jpg

1407604.jpg

4066782.jpg

5290273.jpg

Edited by Dave Roof
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, but thanks a lot, guys! Falcon, that walk-around was great; some better angles on a lot of details than what I had previously. And Dave, those pics are fantastic as well; that first one especially; gives me a much better starting point than what I had, at least! I've been working on some other projects while I continue to gather references on this one, one of which is experimenting with resin casting... Pretty fun, but a bit of a learning curve, to say the least! Should make a lot of my "multiple" builds (6 F-15s, 4 F-16s, and a lot more planned) go a lot quicker, though!