NASA SR-71 LASRE/X-33 Aerospike 3D part

Has anyone seen photos of NASA SR-71 844 (last of the SR71s flying) with the LASRE/X-33 Aerospike rocket engine rig mounted on its hump?

Then you thought that it would be cool to model this SR71, but building the LASRE/Aerospike rig from scratch was just a little too much work.

Well I asked Michael Key of "The Aerospace Place" to build me one & he did. Michael now is offering this part to the model world 3D printed from Shapeways.

3D parts are never cheap when printing in the better resolutions & this part is $87.

He made it to fit the NASA Hasegawa SR-71 1/72 kit (#00840) but it should fit any 1/72 SR-71.

If you can't find the NASA Hasegawa SR-71 1/72 kit ,Caracal will be printing a SR-71 decal sheet that should include NASA SR-71 markings.

But I got more good news I did a .pdf of the LASRE/Aerospike decals (markings on the LASRE wing & canoe) so you can print your own. 

The NASA meatball (5mm) is mounted on a black background so a inkjet decal will not work, the rest of the decals are mounted on the white LASRE wing.*

I can email you the .pdf for the decals or Michael can email you also.

Here's a photo of my completed Hasegawa SR-71.

Keith

* NASA has a few photos of the LASRE/Aerospike rig being installed on top of SR-71 844. At time of installation the black part of the LASRE canoe had a lot of white logos on it like "Lockheed Martin". But when the SR-71 actually flew only the NASA meatball was shown on the black canoe. I hope this clears up why my decal .pdf sheet does not have all the logos seen while the LASRE rig was installed.

** look below at newer posts about nose weight!

*** look at newer posts for 1/48 scale info

Link to Shapeways part: https://www.shapeways.com/product/EP6ACZQNH/nasa-lasre-pod-for-1-72-sr-71-model1240129721_IMG_0468copy.jpg.617520589712abae91b2d7e3890c55c8.jpg220px-SR-71_LASRE_cold_test.jpg.7925c3bd58209c8584857b4c438230aa.jpg

Edited by Solo7
Add tag, update decal info & spelling errors & 1/48 info

As for the Aerospike markings I can send you (or Michael Key) a .pdf file that you can print on decal paper or have a decal printing company print it for you. 

The NASA meatball (5mm) is mounted on a black background so a inkjet decal will not work, the rest of the decals are mounted on the white LASRE wing.

Aargh - I decided against including the LASRE markings on the 1/48 sheet after asking myself "how many people would be willing to scratchbuild this complex assembly?".  I have the artwork ready to go.

Woe is me.  Perhaps I will do a small supplement in the future along with some additional tail markings suggested by folks, making the two Caracal sheets truly the ultimate set of SR-71 markings. 

Now that the part is available, I will make sure the LASRE markings will be included in the 1/72 version coming in late summer. 

Edited by KursadA
1 hour ago, swimmer25k said:

Here’s mine in 1/48.  All scratchbuilt.  There’s a WIP over on Zone Five somewhere. 

Swimmer25k, you did a fanatic job and seeing your scratch built rig online inspired me to start this 3D project with Michael Key.

I knew I could never build the LASRE rig like you did and I think it would have been even harder in smaller 1/72 scale.

2 minutes ago, Solo7 said:

Swimmer25k, you did a fanatic job and seeing your scratch built rig online inspired me to start this 3D project with Michael Key.

I knew I could never build the LASRE rig like you did and I think it would have been even harder in smaller 1/72 scale.

Thank you.  

I was able to find cross-section plans online, which allowed me to build the LASRE.  You can see the slices I used for the styrene skeleton.  Scaling down shouldn’t be too hard. The most difficulty part was finding someone to print the decals for me and getting the canoe to fit the spine of the jet. 

** One more note on this part. 3D printed resin parts are heavy and most of the weight is being added behind the rear wheels. Expect to add a lot of nose weight to your model. On the Hasegawa model I put 21 grams (I added more than needed to be safe) of nose weight just over the front wheel housing to make sure the model would not be a tail sitter. 

Edited by Solo7
Spelling errors

Could it be possible to render correctly scaled 2D side and top views from the 3D design file used to print the Shapeways part and send it to me, so I can check the scaling of the decals? I scaled mine using the drawings from the original scientific paper describing it, but would like to make sure they fit the part.

The-LASRE-pod-mounted-atop-the-SR-71-air

4 hours ago, KursadA said:

Could it be possible to render correctly scaled 2D side and top views from the 3D design file used to print the Shapeways part and send it to me, so I can check the scaling of the decals? I scaled mine using the drawings from the original scientific paper describing it, but would like to make sure they fit the part.

Would you like for me to take some pictures of mine with a scale?

On 5/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, KursadA said:

I have forwarded your request to Michael and the since I have the 3D part (but its on the completed model) I measured it with a caliper.

the reflection plate (7.50 on drawing) is 32.8mm wide

the reflection plate (17.32 on drawing) is 73mm long

The overall length is (41.21 on drawing) is 172mm (apox) caliper does not go that high.

the canoe hight is (1.86 on drawing) is 9mm high

the X-33 model is (2.50 on drawing) is 11.3mm wide

the X-33 model & canoe are (7.53 on drawing) is 34.1mm high

Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Keith

Edited by Solo7
spelling check
On 5/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, KursadA said:

The CAD drawing has been sent via regular email, let me know if you don't get it. Keith

On 5/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, swimmer25k said:

Would you like for me to take some pictures of mine with a scale?

Thanks for the offer - I think your LASRE turned out great and inspired me to design markings for it, but I think most folks who are interested in building one in 1/72 will go for the Shapeways part - hence the need to use the dimensions of this part to check the decals.

Keith - I received the drawings, thanks a lot - I will check the artwork and incorporate it into the 1/72 sheet.

9 hours ago, Piker38 said:

Is there any chance that this part might became available in 1:48 scale ?

I am asking Michael to see if a 1/48 scale is possible to produce.

He was waiting to see if any orders for 1/72 scale 3D part comes in.

Of course a 1/48 part is going to be more expensive, maybe beyond what people are willing to pay.(Shapeways sets the prices)

Thats why a 1/72 scale was used.

Keith

On 6/1/2019 at 1:27 PM, Piker38 said:

Is there any chance that this part might became available in 1:48 scale ?

Careful what you wish for, 1/48 3D printed LASRE rig YOU GOT IT!

Michael said it was easy to enlarge the part to 1/48 scale so here's the link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/THM52SA8J/nasa-lasre-pod-for-1-48-sr-71-model

Remember I said it would be costly $270 in smooth fine detail plastic!

Ouch, 3D printed parts are great but they still cost ALOT!

Michael did give all you 1/48 scale guys a lower cost option though $80 in white natural versatile plastic.

The natural versatile plastic option does NOT have a model smooth finish!

You would have to coat the part in a smoothing resin & sand a LOT https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/

Shapeways does polish white natural versatile plastic to make the part smoother (still not model acceptable quality) but this part has four mounting feet that would snap off with this polishing.

Shapeways basically puts the part in a tumbler machine with abrasive smoothing pellets, not a good thing if the part has small breakable protrusions. 

Enjoy

Keith

Edited by Solo7
As always spelling error corrections

Thanks for the option - white NVP version ordered !

For the difference in price I will deal with the surface finish myself - it will be fixed via magnets, so any damage to the mounting pegs won't matter.

8 hours ago, Piker38 said:

Thanks for the option - white NVP version ordered !

For the difference in price I will deal with the surface finish myself - it will be fixed via magnets, so any damage to the mounting pegs won't matter.

OK also good to make someone happy. enjoy

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Hello;

Send me your email in a private message & I can email you the file, and you have your choice of how the decals can be printed:

1.The file is scaled for 1/72 scale so you would have to increase by 150% when printing for 1/48 scale. You can have a commercial decal printer such as Draw Decal print them for you. Or you can print them yourself if you have an ink jet & decal paper. By the way Draw Decal does great work & will print just one sheet.

2.You can contact Caracal Decals (they have their own section in the ARC forums) to ask them when they are coming out with a LASRE extra decal sheet to their 1/48 NASA SR71 decals released this month. This is your best option, but it may be a while before they release their LASRE additional decals.

Enjoy