T-33A cockpit & wing tank colour questions

Hi all,

Does anyone know what colour a USAF T-33 cockpit would likely be in 1954? Were they Interior Green or Grey? GWH recommend a light grey, but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone also know if the inner halves of the wing tanks would be OD, black or just aluminium? I'm building this aircraft:

60977379_1199488663561446_80721901786864

5538873899_f9f1175665_b.jpg?w=1000

Cheers

Jon

Edited by jonbryon

A quick look through the Schiffer T-33 book and Dave Menard's Before Centuries, seems to show that the flat black wingtank anti-glare was applied to aircraft that also had "US AIR FORCE" on the nose. Early aircraft with the large buzz number on the nose seemed to not have this feature. T-birds with both "US AIR FORCE" and a smaller buzz number underneath it had black wingtank antiglare.

Of course, probably plenty of exception... 

2 hours ago, sierrascale said:

A quick look through the Schiffer T-33 book and Dave Menard's Before Centuries, seems to show that the flat black wingtank anti-glare was applied to aircraft that also had "US AIR FORCE" on the nose. Early aircraft with the large buzz number on the nose seemed to not have this feature. T-birds with both "US AIR FORCE" and a smaller buzz number underneath it had black wingtank antiglare.

Of course, probably plenty of exception... 

Excellent information. Thanks! I shall leave the wingtip tanks in aluminium 🙂

Jon

Strictly my opinion. Anti glare areas black. Can’t imagine jets left Lockheed with unpainted tanks. Cockpit probably black but quite possibly gray by then. Certainly not green. Cockpit360, The USAF Museum’s virtual cockpit photo gallery might give some ideas.

Can’t wait to see your finished project. You have good looking stuff.

Well, this is not proving straightforward!

Focusing my search on USAF T-33s with buzz numbers on the nose and no 'U.S. AIR FORCE' markings, I first found this:

1950s-usaf-t-33-shooting-star-jet-traine

Which would lead me to conclude the inner wing tanks were aluminium.

But then I found this:

349th_fighter-bomber_group_-_lockheed_t-

and this:

scul2.jpg

Both leading me to think they would be black.

So I'll toss a coin...

Thanks for the replies

Jon

Edit:

Just found this also (another vote for black):

https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-a-t-33-aircraft-is-towed-on-the-flight-line-at-the-north-dakota-air-167443366.html

And this (another vote for aluminium):

T-33A_Shooting_Star_-_May_1954.jpg

Edited by jonbryon
  • 2 weeks later...

With an aircraft as numerous as the T-33, you'll always find exceptions to the rule, but as a rule, the inboard surfaces of the tanks were black in the overwhelming number of cases.

Edited by Sleepy