The attached shot was taken at Ft Eustis VA, when I was attending AMOC, Oct 80 - March 81.  My track was the OH-58. 

I was the distinguished graduate of the OH-58 Maintenance Test Flight Class.

I was also the ONLY one in the class... 

Had a lot of fun and learned a lot about the Kiowa.  the UH-61 was sitting on the flight line at Felker AAF.  And was still flying on occasion.

UH-61A_UTAS_11-81_Eustis_VA_BryanWilburn_SM.jpg.4b40e726311bd9f117452d648ca8b321.jpg

Enjoy..

- Bryan

You Tube videos show that the landing gear lift the aft fuselage off the ground both when running and shut down. Points to them being hydraulic, in the above picture they may have been collapsed to relieve pressure on the system when parked for a bit of time.

Chris M

Having the bird squatted a bit makes it easier to look at the TR, along with doing the Daily and preflight.  Along with shipping the bird in a C-130.

I remember crawling up on the stinger on a UH-1, it was a real pain just to get a good look at the pieces parts.  You had to grab the tail light and pull yourself up.  When I was up there I would "thump" the vertical fin out of habit. 

When I was in Korea, I thumped one of the 377 Taegu Dustoff birds and heard a rattle back.  After 2 Hrs of fooling with it, the CE pulled a fuel fitting out of the fin.  Sobering to think what that would have done to the shaft...

I still have the blue fitting some where...

I still wonder how the heck it got there...

- Bryan

Edited by BWDenver
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, Hooker169 said:

That might possibly be the UGLIEST rotary winged aircraft I've ever seen!!

Funny you would say that, as I was thinking about how much it looks like a Blackhawk, with some notable exceptions.

4 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Funny you would say that, as I was thinking about how much it looks like a Blackhawk, with some notable exceptions.

I see a resemblance also but that squatting stance just feels awkward as all get out.

I think the Black hawk remains one of the sexiest looking aircraft, in my opinion, while this thing is obviously the ugly step sister who never married🤢