Carrying on with my 1/48 LM-6, I just completed fixing the various panels around the aft section. They were printed on paper with gloss varnish for the grey panels and satin varnish for the black ones.

Before that, since the final model will be displayed on a rod and attached to the CSM, the first step was to 3D print a 6 mm diameter tube fitted inside the ascent stage.

019a10.jpg

019c10.jpg

019e10.jpg

019f10.jpg

032a10.jpg

032b10.jpg

032c10.jpg

032d10.jpg

032e10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished to put all panels around the mid-section of my 1/48 lunar module. Quite a lot of parts to assemble. I didn't tell you before but at this time the descent stage has 289 parts (it will have a bit more whan the landing probes will be attached) and the ascent stage 123, of course it will have many more when I start the forward section and all details.

032f10.jpg

032g10.jpg

032h10.jpg

032i10.jpg

032j10.jpg

032k10.jpg

032l10.jpg

032m10.jpg

032n10.jpg

032o10.jpg

032p10.jpg

032q10.jpg

032r10.jpg

032s10.jpg

Happy new year to all of you

Ah-h-h Vincent ... this looks so-o-o good!

Printing on paper is such a simple solution ... obviously, the varnish didn't smear the pigment?

How much did you experiment with the varnish? ... and the Glossy varnish on the Grey panels looks per-r-rfect!

The precision of your assembly of these tiny parts amazes me ... this is real "eye-candy"!

Merci Vincent!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just completed covering the forward section of the LM (about 135 panels) and then covering the entire ascent stage. The ascent stage has 271 parts so far and 289 for the descent stage however since there are quite a remaining few parts to install, the final number of parts for the ascent stage will be higher than the descent stage. Progress in pictures :

029b.jpg

029c.jpg

029d.jpg

029e.jpg

029f.jpg

029g.jpg

029h.jpg

029i.jpg

029j.jpg

029k.jpg

029l.jpg

033a.jpg

The mid-section of my 1/48 LM ascent stage stage is now complete with all its details i.e. the ascent engine, the various umbilicals, the position lights, the fuel drains, the S-band high gain antenna, the H2O boilers, the docking target, the VHF antennas and the EVA antenna to which the various vents here and there must be added.

041a.jpg

043a.jpg

052a.jpg

048a.jpg

053a.jpg

Edited by Lunokhod 2

A superb piece of work !

Having built a few 1/48 LMs myself, your result is great to see!

The coils on the VHF antennae, were they 3D printed too or did you coil them out of wire yourself?

Once again, M Meens, you've set the bar very high! Well done!

Pete

Yes the coils on the VHF antennas were 3D printed too. We really are at the limit here. I didn't break the antenna but broke the two supports while putting aluminium paper around. Fortunately the superglue works on this kind of resin. All parts were printed on shapeways except one of the cross braces on the descent stage, it was broken and I printed a replacement on my Photon resin printer. The part seems a bit more solid than the Shapeways one.

• 2 weeks later...

I never get tired of seeing an Apollo Lunar Module ... and your models of it!  :yahoo:

2 questions Vincent ... 

1. Did you seal the printed paper facets on the Ascent stage? ( are they printed on Laser or Inkjet? )

2. The rendezvous Antenna is rotated in such a position that I wonder if you had a specific reason for it?

I admire your attention to detail every ... single ... detail ... and the end result is lovely to see!

Merci M Meens

To answer Pete's questions, yes all paper facets were sealed on the moel using superglue (just a few drops on each side of the facets, making sure I used some varnish before and wrinkled them a bit). All facets were printed on my inkjet printer at home.

For the rendez-vous antenna, I choose this orientation which corresponds to the orientation a few minutes after undocking of Interpid.

For you information the current model has 696 parts (289 for the descent stage and 407 for the ascent stage) and it took me 89 hours 34 mn (almost 8 mn per part)

00310.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have always thought that a good model requires a nice stand. I think the worst example is the 1/32 Monogram CSM, such a nice kit and an ugly stand. Anyways I tried to design something for my 1/48 LM/CSM combination and I hope you will like it. The next and final step will be the 1/48 CSM model. The last picture shows a cone (arrow) that is placed there to stop the CSM when it will be inserted into the rod. The files for this stand are available on Cults3D.

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

For several years I had the 1/48 RealSpace CSM that I wanted to use for my LM/CSM combination. Unfortunately I rapidly saw that the Service Module was unusable, something happened to the resin at some point and the cylinder looked like a spoiled food can. I probably could had sanded it to make it perfectly cylindrical but it meant removing all the details. I then decided to use the work I had already done with the 1/32 CSM and downscale it to 1/48. So in this model the Service Module is a complete design of mine except for the high gain antenna dishes and the decals. all parts were printed on an Anycubic Photon resin printer.

07110.jpg

072a10.jpg

074a10.jpg

074b10.jpg

076a10.jpg

078a10.jpg

080a10.jpg

081a10.jpg

082a10.jpg

083a10.jpg

084a10.jpg

085a10.jpg