Tips on thinning hataka acrylics

Hi there,

Been in shadow mode a long time. First post in a long while. I got myself a few sets of airbrush ready Hataka acrylics. 

I finally managed to finish off the main colors of a tam 1/48 f-16 (Ill post progress pics as soon as I can figure out arc photo posting technics). Basically straight into the brush was too thick, needed a lot of psi but tip dries out. Tried straight alcohol, mr color levelling thinner, and even airbrush cleaner.  Comes out rough sometimes, inconsistent.  Good thing it dries rock hard and sands beautifully for touchups. 

For next time, does anyone have any advice as to how to wrestle this brand into submission? 

Thanks!

Konbini

Hataka apparently have water-based and lacquer paints. While you should indeed use their brand of thinner, it might be possible to use distilled water with their water-based paints.

I primarily use Mr Color, which is a lacquer. I always use Mr Leveling Thinner on that to get to a thin consistency--like 1% milk--so that I can get those beautifully thin and smooth coats that are the hallmark of lacquer paints. Be aware though, that you need to spray in close, about 0.25 to 1.5 inches to avoid a poor finish. Spray too far and you could get orange peel at best, and powdery at worst. Spraying from too far a distance is a surprising common error on all paint types. If you have to sand the paint to get a smooth finish, even with flat paint, you're probably spraying too far away. I also spray about 15 psi (1 atmosphere) pressure.

I do use Games Workshop paints for brush painting; I thin that with water.

Thank you Dnl42 and Dave,

The non cloggy powdery bits are probably my technique. Ill adjust how I do things provided the brush isn't clogged. Ill give distilled a try.  

Failing that ill order online. 

Konbini