• 8 months later...

It has been many a few months. A few things happening at home, along with injuries delayed this build. Now I’m mostly recovered and at home with corona raging worldwide - out went the cobwebs. 

I started with some work on a gbu-31. I’ve taken a page out of a few builds here and made the bomb interchangeable with use of magnets. 

My plan is to fly the jdam on the lhs station and the HARM on the RHS. Any comments welcome of course. 

More to follow shortly. 

Konbini

bmhCYD7.jpg

5 hours ago, André Middeldorf said:

This is by far the best cockpit I have seen in this scale so far - respect! There are just a few little things missing (as a Simpit fan I'm quite critical about that) 🤩

Many thanks for the kind words. If it’s something I can rectify, what’s missing? We all suffer from some form of ams and it would be a shame if I do not at least try. Gotta scratch that itch 🦾

konbini

On 4/17/2020 at 4:59 AM, konbini said:

Many thanks for the kind words. If it’s something I can rectify, what’s missing? We all suffer from some form of ams and it would be a shame if I do not at least try. Gotta scratch that itch 🦾

konbini

Especially the missing hose for the anti-g-pants jumps directly into the eye. normally it starts from the anti-g-panel on the left console. the counterpart is located on the anti-g-pants and is then connected to the system in the cockpit. You can find some cockpit schematics here, its the hose on the left aft console:

X-Flight by Pegasus

A part of the landing gear handle should be black because there is a light in it which is activated when the landing gear is lowered. on this page you can find some pictures of original lg panels:

X-Flight by Pegasus

The caution panel on the right aux console should be unlit, yours is too yellow. here alsoa pictures from the originals on the pegasus site:

X-Flight by Pegasus

These three points jumped right into my eye. but as i said, this is whining on a very high level 🙂

Edited by André Middeldorf
Weird attachment
On 4/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, kurnass77 said:

Great looking Viper so far,I particularly appreciated your work on the MLG bays, top notch!

Gianni

Thanks Gianni, lots of time was spent fiddling with it. Better bang these out while I still have my eyesight. 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:44 PM, weirich1 said:

Looks amazing, great attention to detail; especially the red paint on the Sniper glass (RTV).

Thanks! I used Eduard’s sniper kit smashed together with the mount from Tamiya’s kit. The glass came in clear resin. I painted the sides of the glass red and mounted them on the pod with clear tamiya x-22 carefully. 

On 4/18/2020 at 2:07 AM, The Underdog said:

Konbini,

The F-16 model is coming along nicely. You've done a marvelous job with areas on the

model, its somewhat difficult telling the difference from the real-deal. Overall, it seems

like its gonna be a great representation of the "Viper!"

Thank you 🙏 

Many an inspiration came from builds on this forum plus the availability of photos online. 

4 hours ago, Thadeus said:

Lovely Viper!

Many thanks Thadeus!

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Excellent work. Glad to see you jump back into it.

Mr. Foley again big thanks! It has been a while yes! Hard to get back but once over the curve it’s manageable. Corona certainly helped, not saying I wish for it. I truly hope for all of this to fizzle away soon 🙏.  Shaking my fist at the virus. 

5 hours ago, André Middeldorf said:

Especially the missing hose for the anti-g-pants jumps directly into the eye. normally it starts from the anti-g-panel on the left console. the counterpart is located on the anti-g-pants and is then connected to the system in the cockpit. You can find some cockpit schematics here, its the hose on the left aft console:

X-Flight by Pegasus

A part of the landing gear handle should be black because there is a light in it which is activated when the landing gear is lowered. on this page you can find some pictures of original lg panels:

X-Flight by Pegasus

The caution panel on the right aux console should be unlit, yours is too yellow. here alsoa pictures from the originals on the pegasus site:

X-Flight by Pegasus

These three points jumped right into my eye. but as i said, this is whining on a very high level 🙂

Back to you Andre,

Thank you for your critique. It seems like all are manageable fixes. *sigh of relief. 

Caution panel: washes in dark grey followed by black toned it down. I tried recreating the panel from scratch but it was a bit too brailly and frail. 

Landing gear handle: painted w black. 

G-hose: scratch made from a small length of copper then painted. 

I can breathe easier knowing some more itches are scratched. I hope I havent created more problems. 

Mini update pic: various things under wings in different stages of completion.

Aim-120s finished. Will attach these on at the very end of the build. m9A1Dua.jpgLDNgcZd.jpgLD8oZKh.jpgLxH3VoK.jpg

Good day folks,

The instrument panel was finished before but I made a booboo yesterday night (decided to flip the viper upside down while the hud/instrument unit was in place, and it fell out, bounced a bit on the hardwood floor to my horror) and had to reglue and polish a few bits up. 

Since I did not provide update pics in this area now is a good time. SZCtoWa.jpg

i0XKvif.jpg

Konbini

On 4/20/2020 at 3:51 AM, konbini said:

Good day folks,

The instrument panel was finished before but I made a booboo yesterday night (decided to flip the viper upside down while the hud/instrument unit was in place, and it fell out, bounced a bit on the hardwood floor to my horror) and had to reglue and polish a few bits up. 

SZCtoWa.jpg

Konbini

I would've had a, "Conniption Fit" if I were you. Actually, "been there - done that" several

times. Its all about part of the Hobby, difficult building models without dropping some of

the parts during the process. Do you know what really sucks... dropping the entire model

after you've completed it. By the way, excellent looking Instrument Panel.

Thanks Markus and the Underdog,

I reckon my profanity meter will go off the scale if I dropped the model that’s nearing completion at this stage.  *shivers* 

I finished the canopy rails and stuck it onto the canopy. I took care not to use any CA near this part to avoid fogging it up. 

The kit rails were nice but as I am planning on an open pit the undersides were a bit bland. I used eduard’s PE for this part but changed the positioning of some canopy hooks and added some plasticard to the sides of the hooks so that it resembles an actual functioning hook rather than just a flat piece of PE. This took all evening - My near vision needs a break. 

Konbini

toVMSeK.jpg

NFKCBNh.jpg

9XlY6Ah.jpg

Edited by konbini

Good day friends,

Another small update.  I finished off most of the under wing ordnances. 

The aim-9xs from Eduard were very nice.  The clear nose was a bit fiddly but it settled down fine. To maintain a bit of realism while being clear I coated the tip with a bit of Tamiya smoke mixed with the x22 clear. 

Gbu-31 mk84 bombs from Reskit went together with no issues. The ‘fins’ on the body rests in a little channel, some of which needed to be widened with a .15 or .2mm chisel. painting and weathering uneventful.      As posted previously the bomb is held up via magnets. If I do find a v3/blu-109 version of the bomb I may swap it out.  

i feel the model is on its final stretch, and should be finished soon. 

Konbini

• 3 weeks later...

Good day everyone,

Again another update for my build. I suspect this may be the last one for the in progress page as we cross the finish line.

I found the blu-109/v3 version of the gbu-31 from a set of satellite guided bombs set by Meng. I went straight to work adding detail where needed. The rivets on the jdam tail unit were negative/sunken rivets but on the real thing they are all positive. I took some time drilling holes where the rivets were and added styrene rods. When dry I sanded/cut them to appropriate length. Other details I added are some retaining screws that looked like spikes and are quite prominent in some pictures of the real deal and a panel on the lhs. Afterwards I spray canned and masked where appropriate, and weathered to taste.

Finally we reached the completion of this build. It was a blast and certainly took a long time. Many times I was tempted to cut corners/give up- but in the end decided to brave on thanks in part to ARC. Many many thanks for your support to this build and of course I look forward to my next one. I shall create a finished page when I figure out better photography for this viper. Stay tuned 🙂 

Big thanks,

Konbini