Thinning Body Filler / Putty?

Any of you used hardware store / auto store Body Filler as putty/filler for your models? I mean the type that comes in a can.

If so, what do use to thin it with? I have at my disposal, Turpentine, Paint Thinner and Methanol. 

Also, if I use the hardware store / auto store Body Filler on resin kits ( to fill those annoying little holes & dents that resin kits sometimes have), will there be any affects in the resin?

Are you asking about the two-part polyester fillers (like Bondo), or one-part spot glazing putties, like 3M Acryl Green?

If it's the one-part putties, they're functionally the same as standard model putty, so they can be thinned with hardware store lacquer thinner or acetone.  

If it's two-part polyester filler, apparently you can use acetone to thin them, though I'd be very careful and experiment first, as it would be easy to throw the chemistry way off.  Also, I'm not sure I'd want to use it on standard polyurethane model resin, as it tends to cure quite hard, so you could have problems sanding the filler out.

6 hours ago, MoFo said:

Are you asking about the two-part polyester fillers (like Bondo), or one-part spot glazing putties, like 3M Acryl Green?

Thanks Mofo.  I'm asking about the one-part spot glazing putties.  :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I have used 3M Acryl Blue Glazing Putty for years, and switched to their Acryl White Glazing Putty when they discontinued the blue stuff. It comes in LARGE tubes, so I use empty Testors cement bottles, and squeeze out enough to fill the jar 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. The plastic insert  (minus the brush) helps seal out air. When the putty starts getting hard, I poke some holes in the putty with a wooden swab stick and add some Testors cement. I let it sit for awhile, then stir it up to mix well. I even have one bottle that I thin even more, to make it easier to spread thinly over cracks & scratches. It's been working fine for me for years.

Larry

12 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I have used 3M Acryl Blue Glazing Putty for years, and switched to their Acryl White Glazing Putty when they discontinued the blue stuff. It comes in LARGE tubes, so I use empty Testors cement bottles, and squeeze out enough to fill the jar 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. The plastic insert  (minus the brush) helps seal out air. When the putty starts getting hard, I poke some holes in the putty with a wooden swab stick and add some Testors cement. I let it sit for awhile, then stir it up to mix well. I even have one bottle that I thin even more, to make it easier to spread thinly over cracks & scratches. It's been working fine for me for years.

Larry

Would that be a good way to resurrect some Acryl Blue?

Vern

2 minutes ago, admiralcag said:

Would that be a good way to resurrect some Acryl Blue?

Vern

Vern,

That's what I do to resurrect my 3M Acryl Blue.

As mentioned in my post, I store it in a small glass jar (Testors liquid cement). When it gets too hard to use, I poke a bunch of small holes in the putty, which allows the glue to better circulate through all the old putty. The next day (or a few hours later) I stir the now softened Acryl Blue. I have been doing this for years.

Larry