Decals for the MiG-31DZ 317th OSAP squadron (Yelizovo air base, Kamchatka)

Hi all,

From Air Forces Monthly magazine (June issue), there is a small section which talks about the MiG-31 squadron in Yelizovo air base, Kamchatka peninsula. It mentioned the MiG-31 there carries the R-40TD1 missiles, and the badge looks quiet interesting.  I just wonder if there is any decal manufacturer who will consider this squadron for their release.  Here are some photos from the magazine:

fsZGm4Y.jpg

shB1rVN.jpg

xJAmtYz.jpg

8DMEKne.jpg

From Google, I also found gallery of the above squadron (but without the badge):

https://eng.mil.ru/en/multimedia/photo/gallery.htm?id=34802@cmsPhotoGallery

https://eng.mil.ru/en/multimedia/photo/gallery.htm?id=37700@cmsPhotoGallery

Edited by Jeffrey

While everyone is focused here on the Mig-31, I have a related question that I will briefly hijack this thread for (my apologies Jeffrey).

Katran makes some very nice exhaust nozzle sets for the Mig-31. I am thinking of getting one of their sets, but they offer a Type 1 and a Type 2. I have looked at the photos very carefully and am stumped. I can't figure out what the difference is supposed to be. Did the Mig-31 have two types of exhaust nozzles? Early and late or something? I think that only Katran has these two types. Everyone else offering exhaust nozzles just has one version.

So, anyone know what's up?

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

While everyone is focused here on the Mig-31, I have a related question that I will briefly hijack this thread for (my apologies Jeffrey).

Katran makes some very nice exhaust nozzle sets for the Mig-31. I am thinking of getting one of their sets, but they offer a Type 1 and a Type 2. I have looked at the photos very carefully and am stumped. I can't figure out what the difference is supposed to be. Did the Mig-31 have two types of exhaust nozzles? Early and late or something? I think that only Katran has these two types. Everyone else offering exhaust nozzles just has one version.

There are 3 versions on the real aircraft (at least). There is the early one with separate petals and the late with a fixed ring but there are two versions of the late and sometimes one aircarft would have a mix of them.

Never seen this Katan thing so have no idea what it is.

Best regards

Gabor

7 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

There are 3 versions on the real aircraft (at least). There is the early one with separate petals and the late with a fixed ring but there are two versions of the late and sometimes one aircarft would have a mix of them.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor, the Katran exhausts are the fixed ring type. I just don't know what to look for to tell what is different between the two types of fixed ring exhausts. I do remember seeing pics of the separate petal exhausts but figured they must be a very early (prototype?) version. The48ers sells the Katran exhausts and has pictures. It looks like Katran makes a set with one of each type too, they label it "varied". Here's a link to the Katran stuff on The48ers:

https://the48ers.com/resins?manufacturer=1173

Mark

Edited by Mstor
2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Best regards

Gabor

7 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Thanks Gabor, the Katran exhausts are the fixed ring type. I just don't know what to look for to tell what is different between the two types of fixed ring exhausts. I do remember seeing pics of the separate petal exhausts but figured they must be a very early (prototype?) version. The48ers sells the Katran exhausts and has pictures. It looks like Katran makes a set with one of each type too, they label it "varied". Here's a link to the Katran stuff on The48ers:

https://the48ers.com/resins?manufacturer=1173

Mark

Hi Mark,

Had a look at it. The one they say as Type 1 has double the small rectangular panels at the base of the ring, Type 2 has fewer and they are bigger in size.

As they say look at your references for the particular aircraft you are building to see which version it has. But as I have written before there is even a chance of having a mix of the two on left and right engine. 

I think I even seen airframes with Petal style exhaust mixed with Type 1or 2. I would say it all depended on availability of engines for flight in those interime days.  

Best regards

Gabor

1 minute ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Mark,

Had a look at it. The one they say as Type 1 has double the small rectangular panels at the base of the ring, Type 2 has fewer and they are bigger in size.

As they say look at your references for the particular aircraft you are building to see which version it has. But as I have written before there is even a chance of having a mix of the two on left and right engine. 

I think I even seen airframes with Petal style exhaust mixed with Type 1or 2. I would say it all depended on availability of engines for flight in those interime days.  

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks!  I had seen the smaller panels and it didn't register in my head, duh!  Yes, I'll have to remember to check photos of whichever aircraft I decide to do. At least I now know what to look for. Thanks again and, jeffrey, sorry for hijacking your thread. Back to you!

9 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Gabor, something weird just happened. You posted the same reply as your previous one. :hmmm:

Yeah I know the sistem stopped here and it seems that Skynet has awakened and we are out of control now! :rolleyes:

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Yeah I know the sistem stopped here and it seems that Skynet has awakened and we are out of control now! :rolleyes:

Best regards

Gabor

Nooooooooo, I have too many models to complete! Where is Shara Connor when you need her!