I would like to promote my new 1/48 3D LM so I have decided to build it. Since I already have the 1/32 CSM flying with Mike above the 1/32 LM on the Moon for the very first step of Neil, I have decided to build both spacecraft attached as in lunar orbit. This is a model I built about 50 years ago, originally all white but modified through the years.

00110.jpg

The new model will incorporate my 3D printed LM and the CSM from Realspace along with a complete new stand for the Apollo celebration

image412.jpg

I just started the model with the descent stage, this will depict Apollo 12 so I can have the RTG attached to quadrant 2. It will have the same amount of detail as the 1/24 or the 1/32 I already built. For indication on the build you can refer to my web site with pictures, explanations and links to the parts on Shapeways or Thingiverse for those having a 3D printer http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-48-LM/index.html

002a.jpg

002b.jpg

002c.jpg

002d.jpg

002e.jpg

002f.jpg

002g.jpg

002h.jpg

002i.jpg

Happy modelling

Vincent

I must admit that your first image kind of surprised me ... When you wrote, "I would like to promote my new 1/48 3D LM so I have decided to build it." and I saw the old Block 1, a few differing thoughts crossed my mind.

But seeing your 3D LM reassured me!     :clap2: Did you print these yourself or is this Descent Stage from Shapeways?

Pete

Sometimes things go wrong but you can learn from it. As I was covering quadrant 1 of my 1/48 LM I realized I did a big mistake. For this model I want to show LM-6 and I assumed the pattern for the descent stage was identical to LM-5. Well it is almost identical except... quadrant 1 of course. There are very few photos of Quadrant 1 for LM-6 and the only pictures of LM-6 right after separation from the CSM only show ... the landing pads. I realized quadrant 1 is identical to the one of LM-7 (Apollo 13) and this was confirmed to me by Paul Fjeld (better known as Mr LM). So here it is, as LM-5 this morning and as LM-6 this afternoon.

LM-5 quadrant 1
002i.jpg

and now LM-6 quadrant 1
002j.jpg

Excellent attention to accuracy.

I looked at the correct image on Paul's site and Vincent, you've got it per-r-rfectly ... right down to the thickness of the borders on the Black Inconel Foil. 

The border thickness ... is that how thinly you cut your double-sided tape?

Superbe, M Meens!

Merci

Pete

• 1 month later...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! ... the precision of your Kapton panels is lovely to see.

I thought my LM would be my last one, but I have 1 or 2 in the stash and I may just have to try your method of attaching the Kapton foils. I would love to stand over your shoulder and watch you plan out and make these perfect cuts!  :thumbsup:

Well done Vincent!

Pete