Loadout F/A-18E VFA-31 "Tomcatters" 2010

Hi!

I am planning to build the F/A-18E from VFA-31 with the anniversary scheme from 2010 (Bu. No. 166776): https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6940106

I will use the Hasegawa kit and Aftterburner Decals sheet "East Coast Superbug CAGs".

For reference, I only found pictures of the jet with completely empty pylons. On one picture it carries inert AIM-9Xs.

Was this scheme just for airshows, or what would be a valid loadout for this aircraft?

Thank you all for your input.

Cheers,

Markus

CVW-8 wasn't deployed to the Gulf until May 2011 so you could get away with practice ordnance or doing it as an air to air re-fueler. I think they had that scheme when they deployed as well on the Bush.

Don

In 2008, VFA-31 jets flew with a load out of (left to right), AIM-9X, empty, GBU-12, GBU-38, ATFLIR, tank, empty, tank, GBU-38, empty, LAU-127F/A (those are the longer, pointy ones).

7 hours ago, delayar said:

Thank you for the input!

So this jet was on cruise in this scheme as well?

Cheers,

Markus

No, not necessarily. That was a typical  loadout carried by that squadron in combat. The CAG jet markings were similar, but not the anniversary scheme you're doing. If you go to Navy.mil and search (VFA) you'll find over 1,000 Hornet pictures, some of which include combat load outs, if you want to do something realistic on your model.