Revell 1/48 B-29 "Enola Gay"

Thanks to all for the kind words. 

The finish is a combination of two types of Bare Metal foil, regular kitchen aluminum foil, Testors Model Master Metalizer laquers and enamel paints.  I removed the raised panel lines then scribed and riveted new ones.  I completely removed the upper and lower gun positions by cutting them away.  I backed the resulting large holes with thin aluminum sheet curved to match the fuselage.  After the fuselage halves were assembled, plastic sheeting was placed over the aluminum sheet and blended in using thick super glue as a filler.  If anyone would like, I have some pics and can post them in the in progress section.   

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! That's nice! Great job on the turret removal too. I have a couple of those Monogram B-29's...had decals made to do "Dave's Dream"...the 509th bomber that dropped the bomb for Operation Crossroads. 

I got Col. Tibbetts autograph here at the Atomic Museum in Albuquerque. He's leaning out the window of Enola Gay before engine start.

Cheers...Ron

Outstanding!!  Ya put a good scald on that BIG puppy!!  The shear size of it was an issue.  I finished mine in sections and put it all together AFTER painting a decaling!

More pictures, please!!

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

82Whitey51,

I had a set of old and I mean old decals from Superscale that I scanned on my computer for the Enola Gay specific markings. The Curtis Electric prop markings were from a pic I found on line and reduced and printed out on clear decal paper.  The  rest were kit decals.  Since I had the old decals I did not look for them on line.    There was an article in FSM a few months ago, in which a gentlemen built a regular B-29, but I thought he addressed most of the construction problems concerning the Revell kit pretty well.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ross Pribbs  

On 7/6/2019 at 12:30 PM, rosspribbs said:

82Whitey51,

I had a set of old and I mean old decals from Superscale that I scanned on my computer for the Enola Gay specific markings. The Curtis Electric prop markings were from a pic I found on line and reduced and printed out on clear decal paper.  The  rest were kit decals.  Since I had the old decals I did not look for them on line.    There was an article in FSM a few months ago, in which a gentlemen built a regular B-29, but I thought he addressed most of the construction problems concerning the Revell kit pretty well.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ross Pribbs  

OK, thanks! I have a sheet of the new decals from Revell's more recent release (with ENOLA GAY on the box art)  that look pretty nice, they're not thick as hell like the original issue decals. I also have a "Loon Models" Silverplate conversion set...although, I've heard that "Resin2Detail" is supposed to be in work on a Silverplate mod so I may wait and see what they produce.

• 2 weeks later...