1/48 Saturn V Apollo 11 - Flying model

Thanks guys.  The next step is getting the parachutes sized right and then getting them to fit inside.  After our shakeout flight in December (before we put on the details and paint) we realized that we needed larger parachutes (had to repair some damage).  So that is what we will be doing between now and July 20.  Hopefully we get it right and it remains in one piece on landing.  We will post a video of the flight on YouTube soon after the flight.  I'll be sure to post a link here.

Randy

Oh thanks Randy, I cannot wait to see that video. Please tho, dont launch it too many times after the 1st. I would always use this model as a club trophy of what an awesome looking model looks like to all the people (and kids) that see's it in your club. A bad day would not be a happy one with high power engine issues, especially with all the work in this gorgeous looking rocket. Man that Apollo 11 monster would look great in my old club as well. What a beauty!

Edited by Saturn5Tony

The Saturn V looks ... SUPERB! All of your club members need to be congratulated! What a terrific team! ... and a lovely result!   :thumbsup:

Not having built a flying model, I always made the assumption that these were always fairly simplified to prevent details being ripped off during the flight ... to see all these little details you all have added and the care taken in the paint application is ... simply ... orgasmic ( almost  :rolleyes: )

And the image of you included for scale is wonderful  ... and because you're 6'5" ... my that's a big rocket!   :woot.gif:

( ... your launch date of July 20th, are you going to not try for the Group Launch on the 16th instead? )

Thanx to you and the club!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Pete,

Thanks.  Actually I make the rocket look even bigger, I'm only 5' 4", but it is a big rocket. 😁

You are correct that most scale model rockets are simplified, sometimes to prevent damage but many times just to make the building easier and concentrate on the flying part.

We would try for the 16th, but the sod farm is working that day, and we want to stay on the good side of the land owner.

Randy

A lot of the detail simplifications are done because they are just too fragile to survive the landing (vs the launch) but, more importantly, scale accuracy sometimes has to be sacrificed to keep the Cg and Cp numbers right for a stable flight. That’s why you see the big clear plastic fins added to some “scale” builds. 

habu2,

You are correct on that.  That is why the fins on our flight skirt are much bigger than scale.  Our display skirt will have scale fins.  We hope to have that all done by the time we go to the local Maker's Fair.  You are right about the fragility too.  It is the landing that is far harder to survive than the flight.

Randy

I was into model rocketry back in the late 60s / early 70s. I recently found an old Estes catalog with a photo of a real Saturn V launch on the cover, probably from 1970.   Most of my rockets did not survive although I do still have an Estes Gemini Titan that I hope to restore as a non-flying scale model. 

Following your build with interest. I did buy the current release of the Estes 1/100 SV but I don’t know when I will get around to building it. Maybe by the 60th anniversary lol. 

Edited by habu2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we flew it on July 20th!

UnTuQQs.jpg

It picked up only minor damage.  The parachute on the top section failed to deploy but the damage is not extensive.  The capsule received the most damage.  It will be reprinted and re-finished.  The RCS nozzles mostly all snapped off (fully expected), new ones will be printed.  The styrene strip on the top of the S-II came loose on one side upon landing, but it can easily be reattached.  The three of the F-1 engine bells on the S-IC snapped off on landing and a couple were singed slightly, both of which were expected.  The damage will be repaired before it goes on display at our booth at the local Maker's Fair. 

We actually got a couple of the local TV stations to come out and cover the launch.  Surprisingly both broadcast short stories of the launch on their 6pm and 10pm newscasts.

Here are a couple of links to YouTube videos of the launch made by one of our club members.

Video of complete launch from the flight line.

Short video of the launch close up.

Thanks for looking.

Randy

FAB-YOO-LUSS!!

That ... looked ... TERRIFIC!   :worship:  :thumbsup:

So ... how high did it fly?

Where did you stow the parachutes? And like one commenter stated, it would be interesting to know the G-forces that your scale astronauts would have ... uh ... enjoyed.

Thanx very much Randy for sharing this flight with us!

'twas a real treat!

Pete

Pete,

We got to 1943 feet.  That's not too high for a K motor, but the rocket did weigh about 32 pounds, that kind of keeps the altitude down.  The main chutes were in the S-IC/S-II section.  Then there was a second chute in the S-IVB section.  The third chute was in the spacecraft section, that one didn't quite get all the way out of the tube so it had a hard landing.  That is what broke the capsule and damaged the shoulder that fits into the S-IVB.

I'd have to look at the burnout time and the speed it was traveling to get the G's.  I don't have that data, but if I can get it, I'll post it.

Thanks everyone this was a fun project.

Randy