Modelcollect Early B-52 correction.

Hi everyone,

I'm creating this topic related to the Modelcollect early B-52 versions to share some impressions with anyone interested but especially in the hope that Modelcollect will look at it and will consider some small corrections on the next "Early" b-52s releases . 
I was one of the first buyers, straight from the factory, of the Early G. Although it is clearly more expensive from the factory I wanted to give my small contribution to the good will and effort of Modelcollect.
I'm not an "obsessive" modeler but specially after seeing the built of Paul Boyer on this site, I say that the model looks, to me, very nice! I really like it! It has very elegant lines! The flaps are beautiful! With all respect, It's 1000 times better than Amt/Italeri - I mean, now we have a model of a B-52 and not a kind of toy with 8 jets that resemble a thin B-52 with an erection on his wings 😊! You can clearly see the effort Modelcollect did in listening to modelers and correcting the nose etc... 

However, there is at least one thing , unfortunately very visible, that, in my opinion, needs a small correction. This is the "Cockpit top front window". This is represented closed, like in the recent releases but on all A to F and early G-H models it was a window. Even in the "- G Linebacker II Vietnam" version this was still a window so this item is important even for the future Modelcollect releases. I'm trying to upload some of the photos I sent to Modelcollect. Unfortunately I had no reply from them (Strange, because Mr. Jiangwei Li is normally very prompt and helpful).

Even only this small correction would make, to me, a perfect Early B-52. 

Everyone and especially Modelcollect are welcome to comment, thank you!

EARLY B-52H:

Photo 1A.jpg

Edited by Giovanni Micali

Don't get too upset if they miss that little window. There are many more differences between the early D/E versions, the F version, the G version (early, late) and H (early late) that I hope Modelcollect takes into account. My B-52H model looks good in photos, but it was difficult to build due to some puzzling parts engineering, poor instructions, detail inaccuracies, and missing details. Not to mention poor decals (but beautifully printed by Cartograf!). You'll want to read my review in the July 2019 FineScale Modeler, and an additional article in an upcoming book from FSM showing some of the improvements I made to the kit. 

Edited by Paul Boyer

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your replay, I appreciate.

Yes, even dough I'm not ultra expert, I could notice some other things I hope they will fix! PE part for cockpit is the same one used for modern versions, color scheme totally invented (It was sufficient to look at their box art to be more accurate!!). Wrong/ missing spoilers and totally missing pylon blanking plugs (Both items are now provided by "Shapeways 3D printing" at this link: https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=b-52&s=0#more-products ).

For the little window probably I'm a bit too fixated. It's just a personal preference because that's for me a very distinctive detail of early b-52s and then, unless is the last resource, I prefer don't mess around with modifications when there are clear parts involved.

Since the transparent part of Modelcollect looks very clear and tidy, I was suggesting to Mr Li, to just add to his kits a new transparent part, more conventional, like the one shown below. I think this would have two advantages. First, it would leave an open option for who want to leave the the top front window unpainted and second I think it would have an easier fitting. From some dry fit test I've done, their clear part fitting can be a bit tricky.

Anyway, if this is too much and it would lead to more problems I just hope they will continue producing new B-52s and then we will see with conversion kits.

Thanks again and looking forward to see July FSM, I hope will come out soon even here in Malta!

Giovanni

AMT B-52.jpg

Edited by Giovanni Micali
  • 2 weeks later...

The clear parts trees in the latest release of the early B-52G Broken Arrow looked like they had been thrown in as an after thought.

Has anyone purchased a currently available MC B-52G to see if the new nose and tail are in the latest boxings?

The B52H boxing has the new, updated  parts. I'm curious if the currently available B-52G's are a second run and may have the new corrected parts.

J