ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
HomeBe

1/48 - Lockheed F-104G & J Starfighter by Kinetic - F-104G & J released - RoCAF boxing in Sept 2019

Posted (edited)

It's a One-O-Four ! - ref. K48083 - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter Luftwaffe & Marineflieger

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/posts/1246408785526230

A JBG-34 fighter-bomber from the last period (lizzard scheme) with the original interceptor ventral double Sidewinder rails system... Looks like the undocumented Kitty Hawk usual box art...   

Pre-order at Lucky Model - https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48083

9a4822f.jpg

Release expected in June 2019

61537749-1246404692193306-64033486512041

61302643-1246404918859950-56365169524290 61206382-1246404945526614-53888235599487

61672660-1246404965526612-77695866429390 

61365315-1246405422193233-62064421088327

61504850-1246405475526561-31208315262840

61699819-1246405432193232-42505813000768

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by HomeBe

Better than Hasegawa? Don’t think so. Very pointless.

looking forward to this kit as a fan of the F-104 and Hasegawa kits in 1/48. Hopefully a A or C will come allong from Kinetic.

4 minutes ago, Solo said:

Doesn’t the Hase kit have horrible “divot” surface details?    Aside from that, it’s a pretty solid kit but it’s still probably 20 years old.  I’d say there is much room for improvement, just not sure Kinetic is the outfit to do this. 

Hasegawa's kit is really nice. Nothing perfect, just regular kit, as usually Hasegawa does. But Kinetic? I believe they make better details, but what about fitting problems? For Hasegawa there is still amazing DACO upgrading set, nor for Kinetic.

10 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Doesn’t the Hase kit have horrible “divot” surface details?    Aside from that, it’s a pretty solid kit but it’s still probably 20 years old.  I’d say there is much room for improvement, just not sure Kinetic is the outfit to do this. 

I have to agree here. The Hasegawa kit is solid but it really does need the upgrade set that Daco Models made. Without it you have a divotter and not a zipper.

So, although there are many options, the Kinetic one, if done right, may be the ultimate 48-Zipper. ...perhaps they can also do 32? The Italeri one suffers from bad panelling as well...and a Fantasy island cockpit. Oh well, we can always complain. Let's just build and rejoice we have so many options. I am tempted to get one...with a C2 seat for NL purposes.

It is almost as if Hasegawa's kit doesn't make money for Kinetic.

Hence the gazzilions of Bf-109's, Fw-190's, Spitfires and such.

And I was satisfied with the old Monogram 1/48 F-104C/G.  😎

Sounds interesting. Will wait to see if it offers that much more over the Hasegawa kit. I have one of Eduard's boxings of that kit, plus more aftermarket, plus the Daco Improvement set. I'm sure the Kinetic kit will be nice, but unless it far exceeds what I already have, I'll pass. I don't plan on building but one F-104. Now if I change my mind on that, then I'd give the Kinetic kit a serious look.

To be honest, I was expecting something different although I could still probably buy one.

However, to keep it secret, I was expecting a Buccaneer, a Jaguar, a Su-15 or even a Su-30.

I have the Hasegawa F-104G with some goodies and the DACO sets which might putt me off from buying it.

Juan

3 hours ago, Berkut said:

It is almost as if Hasegawa's kit doesn't make money for Kinetic.

Except that, given the shared ownership of Lucky Model and Kinetic... it does.  :whistle:  (j/k.  it's a fair point)

Interesting that they're not showing the wings or fuselage, let alone actual plastic, for a kit that's due within a month.  In fact, they *seem* to have censored out the wing or pylon by the drop tank.

Looks like they're moulding the nose gear doors in with the gear well sidewalls.  I can see that as being divisive (it'll be easier to build and stronger, but makes painting a little more difficult)

From the canopy locks and ring sticking out under the canopy, looks like it will come with PE in the box.

...and, knowing the previous tensions between AMK and Kinetic/Lucky Model, I wonder if releasing a kit within one month of announcement is an intentional reaction to the F-14 saga.

Also, I wonder how many 'but what about muh C-17!!!!!11!!!' comments they're getting in their announcement post.  :rolleyes:

I find the ability of some here to determine fit issues of an unreleased kit based solely on a few pictures of CAD renderings to be amazing.  Absolutely amazing. Absolutely, unbelievably amazing. 

Such baseless speculation should be confined to the AMK F-14 thread - where it belongs. 

5 hours ago, Solo said:

Well, if you view from subject/maker matrix, you will see the data like this:

F-14 / endless supplier

F-4 / - ditto -

Mirage 2000 / Italeri, Heller and Kinetic

Mirage IIIE / - ditto -

F-16 / endless supplier

F-18 / MONOGRAM, Hasegawa, HobbyBoss, Kinetic

So, why the market cannot support another offer on F-104 where we only have 2 suppliers since 1972 till now ? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Raymond Chung said:

Well, if you view from subject/maker matrix, you will see the data like this:

F-14 / endless supplier

F-4 / - ditto -

Mirage 2000 / Italeri, Heller and Kinetic

Mirage IIIE / - ditto -

F-16 / endless supplier

F-18 / MONOGRAM, Hasegawa, HobbyBoss, Kinetic

So, why the market cannot support another offer on F-104 where we only have 2 suppliers since 1972 till now ?  

100% agree, people just like to dump on announcement that does fit their narrow criteria in what they hope/think should be released.  I personal don't like any egg models, but I don't go around dumping on any release.

Edit:

I don't like the extra fine panel lines of Hasegawa and their brittle plastic.  I'm hopeful for the CF-104 you will eventually release and hopefully a two seater.   ;-)

Edited by Jonathan S

51 minutes ago, MoFo said:

Except that, given the shared ownership of Lucky Model and Kinetic... it does.  :whistle:  (j/k.  it's a fair point)

Interesting that they're not showing the wings or fuselage, let alone actual plastic, for a kit that's due within a month.  In fact, they *seem* to have censored out the wing or pylon by the drop tank.

Looks like they're moulding the nose gear doors in with the gear well sidewalls.  I can see that as being divisive (it'll be easier to build and stronger, but makes painting a little more difficult)

From the canopy locks and ring sticking out under the canopy, looks like it will come with PE in the box.

...and, knowing the previous tensions between AMK and Kinetic/Lucky Model, I wonder if releasing a kit within one month of announcement is an intentional reaction to the F-14 saga.

Also, I wonder how many 'but what about muh C-17!!!!!11!!!' comments they're getting in their announcement post.  :rolleyes:

As we stated in early of the 2019, we change the policy in product release. We only annouce it when we "almost" release it (like almost go to injection or packing). For announced item, we will still going on. But the priorities between the announced subject and undisclose subject change from time to time. 

As for the AMK issue with LuckyModel, it is a very simple claim since 2016. We delist the brand because we believe their way of doing business doing more harm than good for LuckyModel. (back in 2015/Dec when we suffered from short shipped Mig-31). Now, we are so relieved that we don't be part of their so called "pre-order" program. If we still list the item at LM, the preorder matter will destory goodwill of LuckyModel. Even back in 2008, when Kinetic first started the F-16, after receiving the orders for 6 months and we cannot ensure old Kinetic can deliver the kit, we actively ask for option from consumer to refund/cancel the order. 

At last, we need to acquire Kinetic to make the F-16 appear on the market to ensure the delivery to LuckyModel customer. That why LuckyModel own Kinetic. 

We don't want to repeat the same nightmare from the same group of people, so we pull the plug. 

Now, I can say that my decision to drop off the brand is good for us. 

5 hours ago, Timvkampen said:

I have to agree here. The Hasegawa kit is solid but it really does need the upgrade set that Daco Models made. Without it you have a divotter and not a zipper.

So, although there are many options, the Kinetic one, if done right, may be the ultimate 48-Zipper. ...perhaps they can also do 32? The Italeri one suffers from bad panelling as well...and a Fantasy island cockpit. Oh well, we can always complain. Let's just build and rejoice we have so many options. I am tempted to get one...with a C2 seat for NL purposes.

What’s “Fantasy island” about the 1/32 Italeri cockpit?  Yes, there isn’t any sidewall detail, and they molded a solid floor underneath the seat, but both of those things are the same on almost every other F-104 kit released to date.

Raymond, any chance of more preview pictures of what will be included? I'm thinking of underwing stores, pylons, missiles etc? 

With a price in the usual range of ~USD 40 as with recent releases this will for sure be a contender against Hasegawa 

14 minutes ago, Niels said:

Raymond, any chance of more preview pictures of what will be included? I'm thinking of underwing stores, pylons, missiles etc?

Given that the kit is to be released in a month, I'm not sure it's quite necessary.

24 minutes ago, Niels said:

With a price in the usual range of ~USD 40 as with recent releases this will for sure be a contender against Hasegawa 

One of the question ? Can you find a F-104g in major retailer in Europe ?

Posted (edited)

Raymond,

It's been a while since I looked for one, as I stocked up and have 3-4 in the stash, but no, not really 😉 
Checked Hannats since you asked, and there no Hasegawa listed right now. I don't like the old Revell version, so glad I have the stock I have. Will for sure try this when it's released too. 

Laurent, 

It is always interesting what weapon alternatives are in the kits, specially given that Hasegawa have NON 😉

Edited by Niels

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Raymond,

It's been a while since I looked for one, as I stocked up and have 3-4 in the stash, but no, not really 😉 
Checked Hannats since you asked, and there no Hasegawa listed right now. I don't like the old Revell version, so glad I have the stock I have. Will for sure try this when it's released too. 

Laurent, 

It is always interesting what weapon alternatives are in the kits, specially given that Hasegawa have NON 😉

Yes that right. We offer one more option to the market. 

Just like when we drive a long way and looking for food in between. You want a KFC but you can only find McDonald, what would you do ? Buy it eat it and move on !

we have no way or intention to replace another offer for the market. It is just consumer choice. But the basic things - is it on the shelf or accessible when the consumers want ?

At Kinetic accessibility is one of the consideration of our product planning. 

Hey Raymond. do you have an ETA for when they will hit the Canadian distributor?

I for one am looking forward to the kit. has anyone tried to find a hasegawa copy lately.? they are few and far between, and usually expensive.

plus the DACO update kit was released for a reason, to make up for the shortcomings of the Hase kit. typically a kinetic kit will come with an extensive array of underwing stores. I am happy with my kinetic f-16xl kits and should think that this will be as good or better.

I will have to wait until they hit my LHS though, I am done ordering anything from LM

I think this will be a cool alternative to the existing on the market, and definatelly looking forward to it. I need more RNoAF Starfighters in the collection 😎

2 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Of course you can, why not.

But you know, there are so many aircrafts with no good kit of them. F-104 has got one, so I do believe it could be far better to make something more interesting.

But you are manufacturer and I am a client, so our points of view and interests are quite different. 🙂