ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1/48 - Lockheed F-104G & J Starfighter by Kinetic - F-104G & J released - RoCAF boxing in Sept 2019

52 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

I would be surprised if they made a new sprue for this part, likely we will be manufacturing our own if we chose.

Good point but I think I will wait until it does get released. I have said "never going to happen" so many times that my head hurts. 

I really don't want to rob my Hasegawa kits to make a CF-104. We'll see.

Cheers

Chris

Just cracked the box on the new Kinetic kit.  Even with the small issues already raised above in this thread, this kit is LIGHT YEARS better than the Hasegawa kit.  The surface detail is every inch the equal of Tamiya's (better in some cases - Tamiya over-does piano hinges consistently).  Really looking forward to sticking some bits together!  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Really looking forward to sticking some bits together!  

Looking forward to seeing how it goes together. My only other experience is with their AMX kit and was  not impressed with a number of fit issues. The worst was the landing gear.

Edited by Craig Baldwin

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Looking forward to seeing how it goes together. My only other experience is with their AMX kit and was  not impress with a number of fit issues. The worst was the landing gear.

I've got their 1/72 F-16 Block 52+ and 1/48 F-5A kits, both on the shelf of doom.

Neither impressed with fit or detail.

That said, Ive heard much better things about their more recent kits. The Zipper is one subject I'd like to build a few of, so this kit is on my radar.

Edited by mawz

None of the kits you mentioned is to their new “gold” standard.  It’s not remotely the same company it was five years ago.

8 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

None of the kits you mentioned is to their new “gold” standard.  It’s not remotely the same company it was five years ago.

That is why the F-104 is grouped to the KINETIC GOLD series.

Has anyone come across any review? Post release.

1 hour ago, stalal said:

Has anyone come across any review? Post release.

There is this one on the previous page of this thread.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:04 PM, Sleepy said:

Just cracked the box on the new Kinetic kit.  Even with the small issues already raised above in this thread, this kit is LIGHT YEARS better than the Hasegawa kit.  The surface detail is every inch the equal of Tamiya's (better in some cases - Tamiya over-does piano hinges consistently).  Really looking forward to sticking some bits together!  

Did you order direct from Lucky Model? How long did it take?

Pre-ordered it as soon as it was available in early June.  Shipping took about a week-ish.

Raymond mentioned that it would have a glossy finish to the plastic, so the bare metal finishes would look better. it only looks like the glossy parts are on the intakes.

it's not really an issue i'm just curious how it turned out. my LHS says that they expect them by the end of august.

12 minutes ago, dylan said:

Raymond mentioned that it would have a glossy finish to the plastic, so the bare metal finishes would look better. it only looks like the glossy parts are on the intakes.

it's not really an issue i'm just curious how it turned out. my LHS says that they expect them by the end of august.

All of the exterior surfaces have the same very smooth finish. I wouldn't say glossy but they are nice and smooth. 

Cheers,

John

On 8/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, CF104 said:

The bleed air heat exchanger exhaust is positioned incorrectly and the louvers are not well defined. This is where the Hasegawa one is better.  

Great attention to detail John, but for those of us not intimate with the 104, where about's is this "bleed air heat exchanger exhaust" of which you speak?

Looks very tempting but I think I'll wait for the Canadian CF-104 boxing.

Good informative info in this thread :thumbsup:!

Happy modeling all!

10 hours ago, Don said:

Looks very tempting but I think I'll wait for the Canadian CF-104 boxing.

Good informative info in this thread :thumbsup:!

Happy modeling all!

I don't think you're going to get different plastic, only different decals.  And there are existing CF-104 decals out there already. You know you want to buy it now!

11 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

...You know you want to buy it now!

Guilty as charged...I do want it now...:woot.gif:!

Happy modeling!

Late to the party here. Wasn't the main rap on the Has 104 that the wingspan was too short. The DACO set corrected that in addition to being smooth. Or do I imagine that?

Posted (edited)

I don’t remember anyone complaining about the wingspan (may have been too short, but it seems few noticed or cared).  Biggest complaint was the rivet dimples all over the wings and rear fuselage.

Edited by Dave Williams

The horizontal stabs on the Hasegawa kit are like 1mm too short in span, which I would dare anyone to be able to discern by eye on the finished model.  But what is discernible by eye is the pockmarks all over the thing that aren't seen on any F-104.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Late to the party here. Wasn't the main rap on the Has 104 that the wingspan was too short. The DACO set corrected that in addition to being smooth. Or do I imagine that?

Actually the DACO wings correct the chord length of the Hasegawa kit as well as taking care of all those divots. The Hasegawa wings were slightly short in chord.

Cheers,

John

On 8/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, Sleepy said:

The horizontal stabs on the Hasegawa kit are like 1mm too short in span, which I would dare anyone to be able to discern by eye on the finished model.  But what is discernible by eye is the pockmarks all over the thing that aren't seen on any F-104.

You're correct that the Hasegawa horizontal stabilizer is too narrow in span. Conversely the Daco one is slightly over in span but takes care of the overdone divots.

Cheers,

John