ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
HomeBe

1/48 - Lockheed F-104G & J Starfighter by Kinetic - F-104G & J released - RoCAF boxing in Sept 2019

30 minutes ago, CF104 said:

You're correct that the Hasegawa horizontal stabilizer is too narrow in span. Conversely the Daco one is slightly over in span but takes care of the overdone divots.

Cheers,

John 

So does the Kinetic kit, and it has the bonus of not causing me to give Danny Coremans any of my money 🙂

thats weird, I cant find fundekals on facebook at all. if you do get their decals make sure you have good references, they have a habit of missing some pretty obvious stuff

Posted (edited)

They do? Like what?

This was posted in several different groups on FB

Edited by Sleepy

On 8/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, Sleepy said:

So does the Kinetic kit, and it has the bonus of not causing me to give Danny Coremans any of my money 🙂

And the Kinetic stabilizer scales out better than both the Hasegawa and DACO ones. Unfortunately you still need the DACO RWR antennas for doing the CF-104. 

Cheers,

Johon 

1 hour ago, CF104 said:

Unfortunately you still need the DACO RWR antennas for doing the CF-104. 

Do people still scratchbuild anything anymore? They don't look that complicated.

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Do people still scratchbuild anything anymore? They don't look that complicated.

The conversation is about the RWR's in the Kinetic kit compared to what's out there. If you have the proper references they're not hard to scratchbuild at all. The trouble is finding those proper references.

DACO has the references and made some very nice RWR's for the CF-104. The Belcher Bits ones look like a clone of the white metal offerings from Hasegawa and are not as good or accurate as the DACO ones. If you're looking for accurate, the DACO ones win.

Cheers,

John

9 minutes ago, CF104 said:

The conversation is about the RWR's in the Kinetic kit compared to what's out there. If you have the proper references they're not hard to scratchbuild at all. The trouble is finding those proper references.

Yes, thank you for the followup John. But my point being the same, as I know they are in the kit, but correct or not, my first option is not googling aftermarket replacements. But that's just me, lifelong non-conformist.

The kit looks great and mine arrived last week. I will anticipate Kinetic's future releases now that I see they have improved since my previous purchase from them.

1 hour ago, CF104 said:

If you're looking for accurate, the DACO ones win.

So I'm going to pay (Danny Coremans) $75 for three antennas?  Don't think so.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dylan said:

thats weird, I cant find fundekals on facebook at all. if you do get their decals make sure you have good references, they have a habit of missing some pretty obvious stuff

I would venture to say their research is on par or better than most out there.   YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/fundekals.decals

Edited by Snowbird3a

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Snowbird3a said:

I would venture to say their research is on par or better than most out there.   YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/fundekals.decals

my experience with the F-102 sheets that they released were not as good as I had hoped.

for example if you look at the rescue arrow just ahead of the wing root, there is a red arrow pointing at it that starts just under the canopy. this is missing from the decal sheet and the instructions also the instructions say that the pitot is natural metal, where in the picture it is obviously striped. there are other issues with the 57fis aircraft on the other 102 sheet, the dayglo orange pattern is wrong, and the checkers for the rudder are too large to fit.

I am not saying that they are garbage or anything like that, just consult your references.

99138_A-24027-X3.jpg

I now return you to the regular scheduled f-104 argument....err i mean discussion

Edited by dylan

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

May I propose to order only Sprue C for 10 euro (!) +p&p , AND you get an accurate Vicon camera pod as bonus for free too...

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

Didn't say you had to. You might just want to ask if anyone has the DACO set and are not using the antennas. I know I'll have a couple sets to let go eventually. Or just buy sprue C directly from DACO.

Cheers,

John

16 hours ago, dylan said:

if you do get their decals make sure you have good references, they have a habit of missing some pretty obvious stuff

They're also not always (ahem) original.

I know at least one decal manufacturer who was blindsided when the artwork they had bought from Jennings suddenly appeared in a Fundekals package.

John, do you happen to have any good references on the RWR?  If I can convince an aftermarket manufacturer to do a set of wheels, it might make an easy add-on to the set.

19 minutes ago, MoFo said:

They're also not always (ahem) original.

I know at least one decal manufacturer who was blindsided when the artwork they had bought from Jennings suddenly appeared in a Fundekals package.

John, do you happen to have any good references on the RWR?  If I can convince an aftermarket manufacturer to do a set of wheels, it might make an easy add-on to the set.

Let me look through my references. I actually used to own a set of real CF-104 main wheels and nose wheel as well as a set of the rear RWR fairings along with a few other CF-104 bits. This is going back about 22 years. Wish I had the space to keep this stuff.

Here's a comparison of the CF-104 RWR antennas from Kinetic, DACO and Belcher Bits.

IMG_5294a.jpg

Cheers,

John

14 hours ago, CF104 said:

Let me look through my references. I actually used to own a set of real CF-104 main wheels and nose wheel as well as a set of the rear RWR fairings along with a few other CF-104 bits. This is going back about 22 years. Wish I had the space to keep this stuff.

Here's a comparison of the CF-104 RWR antennas from Kinetic, DACO and Belcher Bits.

IMG_5294a.jpg

Cheers,

John

I don’t think the Daco part shown for the forward RWR in the photo is correct for the CF-104.  That’s the one used on US F-104Cs in Vietnam.  Although both used the same rear RWR fairings, the CF-104 undernose fairing was more streamlined and looked similar to the Belcher Bits part.

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 12:21 AM, dylan said:

I've used their decals a few times and find them to be very well-researched.   Personally, I think Fundekals is at the top of the aftermarket decal sector.  Their instructions alone are worth the money.    For their last F4U-1D decal sheet, it was over 40 pages of well researched info on each of their subjects.  Compare that to other companies where your "instructions" consist of a grainy 4 view drawing.

For the other folks who might be interested in these - I have no idea about FB but I've ordered all my decals through their website.  http://www.fundekals.com/

Edited by 11bee

7 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I've used their decals a few times and find them to be very well-researched.   Personally, I think Fundekals is at the top of the aftermarket decal sector.  Their instructions alone are worth the money.    For their last F4U-1D decal sheet, it was over 40 pages of well researched info on each of their subjects.  Compare that to other companies where your "instructions" consist of a grainy 4 view drawing.

For the other folks who might be interested in these - I have no idea about FB but I've ordered all my decals through their website.  http://www.fundekals.com/

well the F-102 sheets were from 2012. they have obviously stepped up their game in recent years.

Posted (edited)

Here's a pic of the rear ECM antenna of the CF-104 in the Gardermoen museum (near Oslo airport)

Hmmm...pic doesn't show...  what am I doing wrong?  Should be less than the limit of 100kB...

Anyway, of the three options, the DACO RWRs look the best by far.

Edited by jenshb

On 8/20/2019 at 9:02 PM, Sleepy said:

the set has much more options for variants so why not! I have the set and some sprues and it is great work by Danny Coremans.