1/48 - Lockheed (T)F-104G/J/DJ/S-ASA-M Starfighter by Kinetic - released - F-104C in September 2021

2 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

The F-104J will only available in Japan now. International release not yet planned

Yea, that is a shame. If I ever do another 104 (I have a Hasegawa G waiting to be done as a Marineflieger bird) it would be one of the colorful JASDF ones.

14 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Dear John

we aware of this when we design, the narrow/wide tire vs wheel hub is a 2x2 combination. Therefor we should offer 4 sets of wheel/tire parts or separate hub and tire. 

But we consider the mould space and will let the modeller with deep knowledge to sand down the thickness of the wider tire version to fit the accuracy. 

That is the decision of how we implement the detail under the limitation of technical, budget and product requirement. 

Another discussion about whether we include the gun bay of m61. We reserve a recesses panel at the back of fuselage to those modeller who wants to install resin type detail. While we don’t offer plastic gun bay. 

I just want to stay we did our research and the features design is supported by our reason behind. 

Hi Raymond,

I can't help but feel your reply is a bit contrived. Unless you plan on releasing an F-104A/C version, you just plain made a bad decision on the second main wheel. 

Sanding the wheel mating surfaces should not be required. If the research was done properly your designers should have known this. You wouldn't need to offer 4 sets of main wheels as there are only 3 types to begin with. Ultimately the correct decision for a second main wheel should have been to make the spoked narrow main wheel of the CF-104/F-104J for your future boxings and dispense with the A/C flat hub wheel.

Comparing the wheels to extra details like a gun bay is just muddying the water. The wheels, IMO, are an essential part of the model and a gun bay is not essential and would just be there for the added detail.

Regardless, at least it looks like the G main wheels are okay. I hope this is the only research error this kit has.

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104
2 minutes ago, CF104 said:

Hi Raymond,

I can't help but feel your reply is a bit contrived. Unless you plan on releasing an F-104A/C version, you just plain made a bad decision on the second main wheel. 

Sanding the wheel mating surfaces should not be required. If the research was done properly your designers should have known this. You wouldn't need to offer 4 sets of main wheels as there are only 3 types to begin with. Ultimately the correct decision for a second main wheel should have been to make the spoked narrow main wheel of the CF-104/F-104J for your future boxings and dispense with the A/C flat hub wheel.

Comparing the wheels to extra details like a gun bay is just muddying the water. The wheels, IMO, are an essential part of the model and a gun bay is not essential and would just be there for the added detail.

Regardless, at least it looks like the G main wheels are okay. I hope this is the only research error this kit has.

Cheers,

John

thanks John for your view. The flat hub wheel is provision for F-104A/C, but we are not sure if the market need it. So, I cannot say we must do a F-104A/C. 

As for the deep wheel type, we do know 2 types of tyres applied with the same wheel hub. And the F-104J use the narrow tyres. However, when we plan the tooling, we cannot find any space left on the mould. So, we make the decision to include the part common to F-104 series and recycle the parts "if" we ready the F-104A/C. The only "inaccurate" version used with CF-104 and F-104J. But the workaround is sanding down the wheel mating surface, I am sure the aftermarket will provide the wheel type for CF-104 with sanding. 

21 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Everyone has a wishlist of their own. Of course it would be nice to have an early 104A or C version just as a two-seater. . .

But for the moment let’s see first this F-104G&J kit!  Talk about anything else later.

Best regards

Gabor

Good luck Mr. Gorsky!

Did it work out for Mr. Gorsky in the end?

1 hour ago, serendip said:

Did it work out for Mr. Gorsky in the end?

I hope Mrs Gorsky made good on her promise and Mr Gorsky had a good time.  :))))))

True or not it is great sidetrack of that historic little step and giant leap event.

Sorry for my off topic just wanted to easy things a little!

Sad that no matter what the kit subject every thread is becoming a carpet bombing of the producer or a wish list.  :((((

Best regards

Gabor

All I know is I am really looking forward to this kit! I hope the victory productions decals sheet gets re released as there are some vet tasty NASA schemes I would like to do.

7 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Sorry for my off topic just wanted to easy things a little!

Sad that no matter what the kit subject every thread is becoming a carpet bombing of the producer or a wish list.  :((((

Best regards

Gabor

I would hardly consider the comments here about the kit carpet bombing Kinetic. Others have chimed in with valid observations and at no time have I stated anything but factual observations.

It's a fact that subject matter experts will be the first to observe faults, errors, omissions etc. in any new kit. Wishlists aside, I respect the input from these experts as long as it's objective. From these observations I would hope that the producer could learn a thing or two about the subject and that the aftermarket producers will take notice and make the appropriate correction items.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Where I see a problem, is that even if the manufacturer explains why this or that part was made in a certain way there is still criticism of it.

And the thing is that no one has actually seen the kit till now . . . What will happen when they hold it in their hands?

As for constructive comments maybe you have seen in the past some of my views on new kits and I don’t hold back if there is a valid point. So yes, it is good to see local experts commenting. It seems that the wheel question could not be solved by the manufacturer in a way to satisfy everyone. There will never be a kit which makes every modeller happy.

I also look forward to this kit. Now what shall I do with my Hase kits, think still have somewhere a 32nd one too way back from late 1970's. 

Do I like 104's, just a "little", this is why I have five original C-2 seats in my personal collection. I was there when a Canadian built example was delivered to our museum in Szolnok by the Lufwaffe. I have been over every inch of it :)))) 

Since then a Turkish example was also delivered (exchanged for a MiG-21MF). 

So yes, I look forward to this one!

Best regards

Gabor

46 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi John,

Where I see a problem, is that even if the manufacturer explains why this or that part was made in a certain way there is still criticism of it.

And the thing is that no one has actually seen the kit till now . . . What will happen when they hold it in their hands?

As for constructive comments maybe you have seen in the past some of my views on new kits and I don’t hold back if there is a valid point. So yes, it is good to see local experts commenting. It seems that the wheel question could not be solved by the manufacturer in a way to satisfy everyone. There will never be a kit which makes every modeller happy.

I also look forward to this kit. Now what shall I do with my Hase kits, think still have somewhere a 32nd one too way back from late 1970's. 

Do I like 104's, just a "little", this is why I have five original C-2 seats in my personal collection. I was there when a Canadian built example was delivered to our museum in Szolnok by the Lufwaffe. I have been over every inch of it :)))) 

Since then a Turkish example was also delivered (exchanged for a MiG-21MF). 

So yes, I look forward to this one!

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I gather your previous comment was in regards to my main wheel posts. I went that way as it appeared that Raymond was unaware that the F-104J didn't use the A/C type wheel and didn't pick up what a few of us were putting down. honestly I think Kinetic just made a mistake putting the A/C wheels in there thinking they were the same for the J. Personally I really don't care for the wheels in the kit and will be using resin replacements. 

So, you have the C-2 seat from 104893? Does it still have the Canadair data plate? Sounds like a nice collection you have there. I was fortunate to work on the restoration of 104763 back in 1991/92 and also have some very good friends that worked on and flew the CF-104. Here in Canada there is a distinct lack of CF-104's on display or available due to the mass sell-off of nearly the entire fleet in the sales to Norway, Denmark and Turkey. We've even had to get back a couple ex-Danish CF-104's to restore and display in Canada. There are more CF-104's on display outside of Canada than inside. On last count we only had 17 CF-104's on display with 4 being preserved indoors along with 3 hulks. There are at least 54 CF-104's in various condition displayed outside of Canada. Until recently, 5 of them were airworthy. Europe is definitely the place to be if you want to view Starfighters.

I digress. Back to being on-topic. 😎

Cheers,

John

4 hours ago, CF104 said:

Hi Gabor,

I gather your previous comment was in regards to my main wheel posts. I went that way as it appeared that Raymond was unaware that the F-104J didn't use the A/C type wheel and didn't pick up what a few of us were putting down. honestly I think Kinetic just made a mistake putting the A/C wheels in there thinking they were the same for the J. Personally I really don't care for the wheels in the kit and will be using resin replacements. 

So, you have the C-2 seat from 104893? Does it still have the Canadair data plate? Sounds like a nice collection you have there. I was fortunate to work on the restoration of 104763 back in 1991/92 and also have some very good friends that worked on and flew the CF-104. Here in Canada there is a distinct lack of CF-104's on display or available due to the mass sell-off of nearly the entire fleet in the sales to Norway, Denmark and Turkey. We've even had to get back a couple ex-Danish CF-104's to restore and display in Canada. There are more CF-104's on display outside of Canada than inside. On last count we only had 17 CF-104's on display with 4 being preserved indoors along with 3 hulks. There are at least 54 CF-104's in various condition displayed outside of Canada. Until recently, 5 of them were airworthy. Europe is definitely the place to be if you want to view Starfighters.

I digress. Back to being on-topic. 😎

Cheers,

John

Of the CF-104s preserved in Canada, how many are two seaters?

On topic, really looking forward to this kit for the CF-104.

Edited by Jonathan S
25 minutes ago, Jonathan S said:

Of the CF-104s preserved in Canada, how many are two seaters?

On topic, really looking forward to this kit for the CF-104.

There are 7 CF-104D's left in Canada. 5 of them are relatively complete airframe wise and 2 are basically fuselages. The cockpit section of 104666 was last seen at Cold Lake.

The survivors.

104643 fuselage only

104644 fuselage only

104658 ex Turkish Air Force 

There's also an F-104F and a TF-104G in Canada. Luftwaffe F-104F, 29+17 is on a pole in Innisfail, AB and RNLAF TF-104G, D-5805 is in Edmonotn, AB.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Sorry, this is two different stories:

-   The Air Force museum has two 104’s. I have nothing to do with them. Only one of them has a Martin-Baker seat, the other arrived without a seat. Both were substantially so to say “reduced in weight” with removal of most things from inside by the original AF's. Sadly by now they are both repainted in an authentic wrong colours with wrong markings.

-   My collection/museum is a completely different story and has nothing to do with the museum above. It is my own private collection and it has five ex Luftwaffe seat (they were demilitarized and sold (for pennies) when they changed to M-B seats, (was it late 60's?)). One is an earlier fighter version (triangular D handle) (unfortunately not downward firing) and seats from trainers.

It is going completely off topic now. Lets get back to the Kinetic kit.

Best regards

Gabor

On 7/25/2019 at 8:52 AM, nzsabredogfan said:

Lucky has the Starfighter showing as in stock. Coolest can not wait for my one to arrive in NZ.😃😀

Released

- ref. K48083 - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter - Luftwaffe+Marineflieger

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48083

PI000000252185.jpg

Soon

- ref. K48080 - Lockheed F-104J Starfighter - JASDF

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48080

V.P.

Edited by HomeBe
On 7/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, boom175 said:

All I know is I am really looking forward to this kit! I hope the victory productions decals sheet gets re released as there are some vet tasty NASA schemes I would like to do.

Re-releasing that Victory F-104 sheet would be like printing money - I don't understand why Victory doesn't do another run.

4 hours ago, HomeBe said:

ref. KH48083 - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter Germany

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48083

PI000000252185.jpg

ref. KH48080 - Lockheed F-104J Starfighter JASDF - soon I suppose

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48080

V.P.

Hi HomeBe

please use K48083 as public will misread as KITTYHAWK item 

47 minutes ago, flanker27 said:

Strange, the F-104J availability is shown as Discontinue. 

Where did you see this? It's still showing a July release over at HLJ.

Cheers,

John

3 hours ago, flanker27 said:

Strange, the F-104J availability is shown as Discontinue. 

Probably being used as placeholder, though I surprised they didn't use "Future release" which they used with other kits like Airfix's 1/24 F6F-5. Maybe a mistake by whoever listed it.

2 hours ago, CF104 said:

Where did you see this? It's still showing a July release over at HLJ.

Cheers,

John

It's on LuckyModel.

52 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Probably being used as placeholder, though I surprised they didn't use "Future release" which they used with other kits like Airfix's 1/24 F6F-5. Maybe a mistake by whoever listed it.

It's on LuckyModel.

I never noticed a pre-order up on LuckyModel for the F-104J. Only the F-104G. I know Raymond said it was only for the Japanese market and would not be available on LM.

Did you happen to have a link for the F-104J on LM?

Cheers,

John

30 minutes ago, CF104 said:

I never noticed a pre-order up on LuckyModel for the F-104J. Only the F-104G. I know Raymond said it was only for the Japanese market and would not be available on LM.

Did you happen to have a link for the F-104J on LM?

Cheers,

John

HomeBe posted the link up above though its not for a preorder. Raymond said that the international release of the J has not been planned yet. I hope that means that it will occur in the future. I already have a Hasegawa 104G with all the aftermarket needed. If I get another 104 it will be a J. I'd like to do one of the more colorful 104Js.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

HomeBe posted the link up above though its not for a preorder. Raymond said that the international release of the J has not been planned yet. I hope that means that it will occur in the future. I already have a Hasegawa 104G with all the aftermarket needed. If I get another 104 it will be a J. I'd like to do one of the more colorful 104Js.

I didn't notice the link for the J but I see it now. If you search LuckyModel there is no sign of the F-104J there so this must be an old link. This link must have been put up before LM decided to make it only for the Japanese market. This is probably why it shows discontinued as Raymond stated it was not going to be sold on the LM site. I take it by his comments that there is no current plan for an International release of the J. This will most likely be influenced by the Japanese sales of the kit.

I'm looking forward to the 2 kits I've ordered. Further orders will be determined by what I see in the kit.

Cheers,

John

40 minutes ago, CF104 said:

I didn't notice the link for the J but I see it now. If you search LuckyModel there is no sign of the F-104J there so this must be an old link. This link must have been put up before LM decided to make it only for the Japanese market. This is probably why it shows discontinued as Raymond stated it was not going to be sold on the LM site. I take it by his comments that there is no current plan for an International release of the J. This will most likely be influenced by the Japanese sales of the kit.

I'm looking forward to the 2 kits I've ordered. Further orders will be determined by what I see in the kit.

Cheers,

John

I, for one, don't understand the reasoning behind the decision to limit the release of the J model to Japan only. I would think they would want to maximize sales and while the G model certainly has more appeal in Europe and the US, I would think there should still be people around the world who would buy the J model. I probably would, especially if it had some of the more colorful schemes. Just doesn't make sense to me to cut of another possible revenue stream.

• HomeBe changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed (T)F-104G/J/DJ/S-ASA-M Starfighter by Kinetic - released - F-104C in September 2021