Innocent me starts to prime his Williams Brothers' Laird Super Solution.  Wipes down the wings, shoots Tamiya rattlecan primer, lets it dry overnight, next day sprays Tamiya rattlecan yellow.  Fisheyes in the yellow.  Removes it all (spray wet coat of primer, wipe everything off).  Once dry, trip to a 12-hour soak in warm water/Dawn.  Dry and prime again.  Again fisheyes.  Suggestions?  My advice to myself is to repeat the stripping, clean up the wings, another trip to Dawn/water, dry and wipe down with alcohol and once dry shoot with Humbrol rattlecan acrylic primer.

My question, as I've seen this twice  on other products, is whether some plastics' mold release can infuse itself in the plastic so that it won't wash out.

Advice, comments?

Thanks!

Is the yellow a gloss paint? If so, you might try first spraying a few light coats, something to give a following wet coat something to grab onto.

Excellent advice! Gloss yellow and gloss white both need to be applied carefully.  Just as Mstor wrote, first build up light layers to get coverage, then apply a thicker gloss coat. 

43 minutes ago, peter havriluk said:

Thanks, folks.  Yes to the light coats, complete with fisheyes.  

Are you saying you are getting fisheyes even with light coats? If so, have you considered that maybe you have a bad can of paint? Have you tried a different can?

Is your paint one of those brands that has "primer & paint" all-in-one?  That ruined one of my paint jobs.  I sprayed one light layer of white enamel and ran out half way through my second layer.  I let everything dry for 48 hours.  Back to the store for more enamel, except i couldn't find the same brand, so purchased another name brand, not realizing that it was paint & primer.  When I sprayed it over the preceding coat of enamel, it fisheyed and cracked the previous layer.  Haven't tackled it yet, but may do so this next week.  

Edited by Dutch

In the primer? Hm. Not sure what that could be, perhaps Mstor is right and there is an issue with the primer itself?

FWIW, I give the plastic, resin, and metal a good wipe-down using 91% Isopropyl before priming.

If you are not spraying in a paint booth, could something else be in the air -- silicone sprays, perhaps an electronic deodorizer?  You could also try handling the model with only white cotton gloves after the Dawn wash job....

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Yes,  very light mist coats built up over time will do the trick.  Even if you have to build up 10+ coats, wet sand smooth and polish or put down a heavier coat once you have a foundation. 

Back in the day when we were spraying enamels on cars we had to do the same thing if we didn't want to use a silicone additive in the paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Fish eye sometimes come out water in system paint thinner contamination or grease always seal different types of paint , hot metalizer will melt plastics if not careful also enamels , so combinations of paints have to be separated with sealer and different type of paint properly seal and after primer is cured .