VFC-13 F/A-18 Question

I am looking to build a VFC-13 F/A-18A from Fightertown Decals Desert Bogeys sheet, specifically Bogey 07 from 1995.

cxU1iYV.png

My question is, in the instructions and in this photo F-18 VFC-13 Photo  , it appears to be 2 colors of the brown/tan camo. 

However, I've found some pictures where it appears to be three colors like this (photos all appear to around the same time frame as above)

kvluRju.png

r7Em1Sk.jpg

Any information would be greatly appreciated  

Brent

You're probably looking at the same aircraft from two different time frames. The paint scheme on the decal sheet could be what it looked like before a maintenance session and ended up being painted in the latter afterwards. Or vice versa.

The man that probably holds the correct answer is @Brian P: Fightertown Decals.

Edited by Whiskey

007 was an awesome jet. I loved the 3 tone variation that you found the pictures of. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite VFC-13 schemes. But unfortunately the markings were substantially different from the 2-tone version and we couldn’t find space to include the full set needed. Yes, the 3-tone version was a later repaint from the 2-tone. The CO had the 3-tone version done up. 

Brian

9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

You're probably looking at the same aircraft from two different time frames. The paint scheme on the decal sheet could be what it looked like before a maintenance session and ended up being painted in the latter afterwards. Or vice versa.

The man that probably holds the correct answer is @Brian P: Fightertown Decals.

3 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

007 was an awesome jet. I loved the 3 tone variation that you found the pictures of. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite VFC-13 schemes. But unfortunately the markings were substantially different from the 2-tone version and we couldn’t find space to include the full set needed. Yes, the 3-tone version was a later repaint from the 2-tone. The CO had the 3-tone version done up. 

Brian

Thanks guys

@Brian P: Fightertown Decals how different are the markings, to my untrained eye they look fairly similar

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 4:12 PM, eraucubsfan said:

Thanks guys

@Brian P: Fightertown Decals how different are the markings, to my untrained eye they look fairly similar

Totally different. brown/tan/sand. Different patterns and colors. Doing the 3-tone jet would require different markings. You could piece together a few parts but the brown alone would be missing...

On 10/24/2019 at 9:20 AM, eraucubsfan said:

I have starting painting my Hornet and I have another question for @Brian P: Fightertown Decals or anyone..

is the gray the same on the top and bottom or is it two different shades of gray?  It's hard to distinguish on the instruction sheet and in photos?  

You can use 36375 for all the gray. I'd upload pictures but they are all 3MB or greater...

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2019 at 4:52 PM, eraucubsfan said:

Any information would be greatly appreciated  

Brent

Hi Brent,

Try to find the colours that Hasegawa has in one of their 1/48 F/A-18s from NSAWC. Then, using the "colorserver.net", try to match and see which FS is missing. The way I see it, the aircraft you want to build has the typical "Mig-29" scheme PLUS the colour that's missing.

Perhaps, if you visit 1999.co.jp you might find the kit and the instructions that show the specific scheme and FS.

Bill