TBD Devastator in Tri-Color Scheme

Greetings,

I recently purchased a builder's lot of 1/48 Monogram TBD's. (5 mostly complete, probably can create 4 total).

Anyway, I am thinking about building one of the examples that were returned stateside after the Battle of Midway.  I came across this tricolor (Dk Sea Blue, Blue Gray, and White) example from the Wings Palette website.  I am looking for any more information on this example.  Supposedly BuNo. 1517, NAS Corpus Christie, or perhaps NAS Miami.

I am wondering, is this a real camouflage or just conjecture?  What other markings would be present, etc.?

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 8.38.59 AM.png

Edited by LALU38

Sorry, haven't any data to contribute; but, will say it looks nice in that livery & it would make sense, to me at least, that training, practice, or merely the productive occupation of time, might lead to it being updated to a more current livery than the one it wore at Midway.

Also, I'm not sure of the exact meaning of your question's wording,

I am wondering, is this a real camouflage or just conjecture?

The tricolor is a real camouflage pattern. I used to know the dates of USN's WW2 cammo pattern changes, would have to search it now.

The red insignia surround is real. Was used briefly.
Whether that combination was really applied to a stateside TBD, that I don't know.

Thanks.

To clarify, I was wondering if the tricolor scheme was applied to the Devastators that ended up stateside.  I have never seen any photographic evidence.  I do agree, it would make a nice change of pace from  the Yellow wIng and Blue/Gray birds.

Andy

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.01.11 PM.png

From all the evidence I've seen, conjecture. There are photos of post Midway trainers showing them in BG/LG but nothing I've ever seen in tri color. Even 0363 ditched off Miami Beach on 27 Aug. 43 is still in BG/LG.

I did a whiffer myself many years ago but so far, it remains a whiffer.

Ken