Wolfpak June 2019 Release

Gentlemen,

Here is the June 2019 release from Wolfpak Decals. 

Sheet 72-126, Sharur, The first subject is an OV-10A in the grey, green and black camouflage pattern from VMO-2.  Next up is one of the two CAG F/A-18’s on the sheet a F/A-18E from VFA-27 in 2017 on the USS Ronald Reagan.  In addition to the aircraft I have include markings for the JSOW,  AGM-54C and C-1.  These markings include the window for the sensor in the nose of the weapon.  The OV-10D follows in the same camouflage pattern as the A model and is from VMO-1.  From VFA-94 the Sh*t Hot World Famous Orange Tails” or as they have abbreviated; “SHWFOTS” we have a CAG F/A-18F.  From 1992 a SH-2F from HSL-36 in TPS colors follows.   Next up are a Russian SU-34 in the “eggplant” scheme and a TU-22M-3 both with mission marks from Syrian operations.

Sheet 72-127, Roll Them Bones,  We begin this sheet with a F-86D from the 95th FIS, Mr Bones, in 1955.  This aircraft had the fuselage stripes used as an identifier of the squadron commander’s jet.  The A-1H, from the 602nd SOS has the 56th’s SOW insignia on the tail and the command stripes follows.  AN A-6A with the Pave Knife laser designator pod from VA-115 in 1974 follows.  The Navy only modified a handful of A-6A’s to carry this pod until the A-6E TRAM became operational. Next up are options for one of three B-26K’s.  One with nose art and two with stripes.  One of the aircraft with the stripes has in addition the 56th SOW insignia on the tail.  Note that it does not include the usual scroll with the unit identifier on it.  During the Vietnam War era C-140A’s ere used in the combat zone for checking navigation aids.  Our next subject is one of these jets in the SEA camouflage pattern.  Last but not least is a UC-123B Ranch Hand spray aircraft as seen later in its career when it was used as a Candle Stick flare ship.

Decals will be in a few weeks and will retail for $18.50.

Mark S. 

carXgbU.jpg

kuKWUe9.jpg

14 hours ago, Mark S. said:

Spike,

Just looked at the photos I worked from and the DCAG was on the left and CAG on the right.  Guess there are exceptions to common practice.

Mark S.

Mark, 

Sounds good, surprising though.  Keep up the good work!

11 hours ago, Spike72 said:

Mark, 

Sounds good, surprising though.  Keep up the good work!

Just a guess but the CAG might be a WSO . :dontknow:

-Gregg

1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

Pilot on the left/front seat, NFO on the right/rear seat.

Tracy

Yes but its a single seat jet with DCAG on left and CAG on the right.

-Gregg

2 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Yes but its a single seat jet with DCAG on left and CAG on the right.

-Gregg

No it’s an F so two seats, if CAG was an NFO, his or her name would be on the left side, just the rear seat.  Depends on preference, some will have the CMC’s name on the right side and maybe the sailor of the year.  In this case, CAPT Ford is an aviator, so unsure why he was on the right side.  I’m curious if all the CVW-17 -00 aircraft were like that.

Hi, thanks for the 166465 Bronco decals. I am just researching Gulf war Broncos, but this applies to the D version posted here. It is not D, it is D+. It was converted from A after the Gulf. Also, either it had blade antennas on the top of the booms (D+) or "whip" antennas (D). Not together, as they were on same place. The profile is also missing some additional antennas etc. Hope they are all adressed in the instructions. If not, I can make a list of the "tweaks" needed for it.

Thanks.

Jakub

Jake,

I could not find definitive information on the OV-10D+ nor a list of serial numbers.  If you would share what you have I and I'm sure the rest of the community would appreciate it.

Mark S.

Here is what is in the write-up to date:

Notes for modelers:  The easy way to distinguish the D from the D+ in photos is to look at the tail boom. The D had whip antennas and the D+ had blade antennas; although it still retained the antenna wire from the fuselage to the horizontal tail.  This aircraft was equipped with RWR antennas on the nose and underneath the tail booms, and the sponson mounted 7.62mm machine guns were mounted for combat operations.  For self defense chaff/flare dispensers were mounted on the tail booms and an AN/ALQ-144 “disco-light” IR jammer could be fitted.  The D model also had infrared suppressing exhaust stacks.  As with the earlier OV-10A, the D model was unusual in not mounting the gunsight on the coaming, instead it was suspended from the inside of the windscreen bow.

OV-10D BuNo. 155465 was built as OV-10A, participated in Gulf war and then was rebuilt straight to OV-10D+. Here is the picture of how the plane looked in June 1992 - 

155465_06_1992.jpg

The best way to replicate it is to buy the OV-10D+ conversion from CMK and Academy kit, either A or D. Use these instructions for the set from https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-7029-ov-10d-conversion-set--113422 .

The kit is missing small blade antenna just behind the big front wheel well doors (part of AN/APR-39 RWR system) and the small "hockey stick" antenna just behind the "towel rack" FM homing antenna AN/ARA-50. Also, the kit has wrong type of underwing pylons (from version A), so use this site https://www.super-hobby.cz/products/Grumman-OV-10D-Bronco.html for instructions and pics of the sprues to scratchbuild them. Hope this is all. If you have more questions etc. PM me or write me email, I am researching Broncos now for my future 1:32 OV-10D+ build from Gulf. And I found A LOT of differencies kit vs reality vs versions ....

Thanks.

And for the OV-10A BuNo. 155475:

Here is the picture dated 22/08/1989 - 155475_8-22-89.jpg

Again, the kit is missing tail mounted AN/APR-39 RWR and corresponding blade antenna behind the front gear bay doors. Also, AN/ALQ-144 IR jammer "disco ball" on the spine is missing. 

And, in the pic of instructions for decals here, there is "OV-10D" written, which is a mistake, it should be "OV-10A".

Hope this helps. More help = PM/email me.

Thanks !

I know GreyGhost. look at what I said closer. The first is for single seat, the second is for two seat.

Pilot left side, and NFO would be right side on a single seat no matter if CAG or DCAG. If its a two seater, pilot front, NFO rear,

Example, If you have a pilot DCAG and an NFO CAG, the pilot DCAG would be up front, and the CAG NFO would be in the rear seat. to reiterate single seat: Pilot on the left side, NFO on the right side.

Tracy

Please consider doing stencils sets for certain aircrafts that are getting the "we ignore 1/72 scale" treatment from other companies or like Revell and Hasegawa which got their marketing department  replaced by apes

Luigi

Edited by Mizar