Microscale decals help...1/48 F-8 wing markings...

I have Microscale sheet AC48-0054 F-8 Crusaders.

My question is on the upper wing markings for the VF-111 scheme. Take a look at the instruction sheet for the top-side markings (Second page, last one on the bottom) for VF-111. Microscale VF-111 F-8 Instructions

Microscale shows only one number(105) on the upper right flap. I'm not sure if this is correct or not? I always thought that there should be numbers on both upper flaps, not just one(?)

Also, the plane is shown on the sheet as having a large "05" on the main inner wing panel and large "AJ" on the outer. Is this correct? Wouldn't both of these markings be on the outer wing panel?

The aircraft is  VF-111, number 148684 "AJ". "105" is the nose number.

What I need is some kind of pics that show this type of marking on the upper flaps and wings. I assume that there should either be numbers on BOTH flaps or none at all(?)

I am starting to dis-believe Microscale's research for this one.

Any pictorial help would be appreciated.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

Edited by F-16

Generally speaking, yes, the number would be on both flaps....and Microscale, while very useful to our hobby, has more than its share of flaws in its research (as do I).

That said, there are always exceptions.  For example, I had the privilege of photographing one of VFA-41's Super Hornets for a decal sheet and was amazed to find there was zero stencilling on one of the horizontal stabliizers.  The reason was, it had just been replaced, and they hadn't gotten around to that part of finishing it yet.

Chances are, however, you're right.

Scott,

I have 2 or 3 pictures of 148684, but they are all from the side and, therefore, of no help. In cases like this where you can't come up with the definitive photo, what you are ultimately left with is finding pictures of its squadron contemporaries during the same time-frame and having the same markings-"AJ" being the 5th and final tail markings for VF-111.

kNMSBX.jpg

9zKBjl.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

I assume that 148684 is not a CAG bird, so maybe I should just leave off the center wing numbers and letters.

I may also just leave off the flap number as well, since there is only that one for the flap.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

A CAG bird typically had Modex "00" on the nose.  VF-111 did carry the squadron letters and modex on the right wing of their F-8D's, but not sure about the other models they flew. Of note, which I forgot to mention in my post above, is that the right hand wing of 147925 appears to have been touched up in the area where the letters and numbers could have appeared. Or am I just seeing things?  Both of the aircraft in my post are F-8H's (remanufactured D's) as they have the Bullpup avionics hump. So, did the markings on the upper right wing get painted over during upgrade or some other time? Pure speculation on my behalf.

Edited by Tom

Yeah, I noticed those "dark" areas on the wing as well. I'm not sure if they are "paint overs" or just shadows/dirt.

I went through my decal stash and found an extra set of "105" decals that I can use on the flaps, so that's solved. Oh and yes, Microscale only gives you one "105" decal for the right flap. Why? Who knows. Just poor research I guess.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS