1/72 B-50 Question

Cobra Company made a very necessary set of engine nacelles and wheels for it.  The engine nacelles are very inaccurate.  They're closer to KC-97 nacelles in detail, which are very different from B-50s.  Not sure if Lone Star has reissued that set or not.

6 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Cobra Company made a very necessary set of engine nacelles and wheels for it.  The engine nacelles are very inaccurate.  They're closer to KC-97 nacelles in detail, which are very different from B-50s.  Not sure if Lone Star has reissued that set or not.

They aren't listed yet on their website, but he stated that he has plans on re-releasing all 150 Cobra sets that he has.

Cobra Co. never made a set specifically for the Academy B-50.  Just K/C-97 and B377 sets.  According to the Ginter book (a great book and a MUST have if you plan to build this kit) on the B-50, the Academy B377 kit (Pan American boxing) is useful for better props and wings.  I picked up one of these kits at a show this weekend for $20.  They are pricey on eBay but keep your eyes peeled for one.

True Details makes a set of wheels but are only accurate for early B-50As.

The biggest problem with the engines is that they are 9 cylinder B-29 engines instead of the correct 7 cylinder engines for the B-50 series.  A short cut used by Academy I suppose.  This is where the Cobra Co. set would be useful.

Xtradecals, Bare Metal Foil, and Skylancer all did decals for this kit.

Hope this helps, be sure to post some photos of your build.  I don't think I've ever seen one of these built before!

-Derek

Edited by viking73
12 minutes ago, Charlie D. said:

Great article, I have it printed out and in the kit box for eventual build reference

So much more has been uncovered on the B-50, since i built that thing in the late 20th century...

Having said that, we are still poorly served by resin aftermarket.

-d-

Edited by Falcon50EX
6 minutes ago, Falcon50EX said:

So much more has been uncovered on the B-50, since i built that thing in the late 20th century...

Having said that, we are still poorly served by resin aftermarket.

-d-

Agreed, but the article is still a good reference. You see so few of these built up, and so little reference or builds online. You did a great job on it. Only thing holding me back is display space, I'm pretty much limited to 1/48 single engine stuff at the moment.