Dealing with static electricity

17 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

My biggest issue with static is while I'm in the process of painting... primarily, removing stubborn dust particles that tend to just re-locate to some other part of the model.

You and I have the same problem it appears.   I try to discuss with local modellers and I get a look as if I'm strange for having this issue.  Let us know if you get the Tamiya brush and if it works for you.

17 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Ahh, I see.   Does it leave a residue?  The description seems to suggest it does, but, I have no clue...  

@Jonathan S 

Will do my friend... will do. 

Edited by BaconRaygun
23 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

Which product? Endust canned air does nothing for static... I'm an IT guy, so I've had my fair share of experience with canned air over the past 15 years or so. 

@ElectroSoldier  

I cant do the humidity thing.  I. Hate. Humidity.  I think the brushes are probably more along the lines of something that makes sense for me... as I don't need to wait for the model to air dry after washing with water (which, of course, works, but isn't the answer here).   

My biggest issue with static is while I'm in the process of painting... primarily, removing stubborn dust particles that tend to just re-locate to some other part of the model.    

I've also noticed some interesting things happening when I'm spraying a model that's holding a charge, especially when spraying metallic paints.   I cant think of an explanation better than powder coating.   When the model is charged, and I blip the trigger on my airbrush, I get basically a powder coating of dry paint all over the model.  Not really a big deal as it comes right off, but it certainly is a great way to demonstrate how "powder coating" works.   

Static is a pain, I had it when I painted my Games Workshop Warlord Titan. That much resin creates static.
I kept the air humid and the static simply cant survive in the environment.

17 hours ago, habu2 said:

This makes sense as it is essentially a liquid ground strap. Not so different than standing barefoot in a puddle of water while holding a hair dryer....  😮

At my work out fiberglass parts contain carbon... we use carbon by the mile and the parts are 80m long... It creates a staggering amount of static. We have had experts in the field come in and tell us what we need to do to control it on health and safety grounds because the charge is so large...

Grounding the carbon and a humid atmosphere worked.

Workplace preparation helps in the modelling dynamic.

I will blow out the area through an open window , and run an ionizer for an hour prior to painting. The ionizer works great clearing the air of dust particles.

Personal prep helps too , clean shirt and pants and I'll wet down my arms and the front of my shirt as well.

Blowing air through the airbrush in the painting area , without the model present , helps to get dust out of there before the actual painting starts.

A light spritz of water on the bench surface helps too.

If you draw air from an open window or similar wet t he area under it to catch any dust p[articles being drawn in.

Lots of info there that wont cost a penny to implicate.