Zoukei Mura question

Do you guys realise that it takes years to develop and produce a model kit? The had a preliminary external shell CAD ready last year and produced a 3D printed mock-up from it to show the shapes at the US and UK IPMS nats. Even if the CAD (i.e. full external and internal detail, material thicknesses, mounting/connecting aids etc. etc.) had been ready at that point (and I really don't think it was), it would take up to a year to progress tooling to a finished kit. Yes, they can re-use a number of components from their short nose Phantoms, but there's still a ton of work involved.

Today's world seems to suggest that everything can be done in a few seconds with some clicks and swipes on a screen. If anyone, I would have thought modellers would understand this...?

Jeffrey

2 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Do you guys realise that it takes years to develop and produce a model kit? The had a preliminary external shell CAD ready last year and produced a 3D printed mock-up from it to show the shapes at the US and UK IPMS nats. Even if the CAD (i.e. full external and internal detail, material thicknesses, mounting/connecting aids etc. etc.) had been ready at that point (and I really don't think it was), it would take up to a year to progress tooling to a finished kit. Yes, they can re-use a number of components from their short nose Phantoms, but there's still a ton of work involved.

Today's world seems to suggest that everything can be done in a few seconds with some clicks and swipes on a screen. If anyone, I would have thought modellers would understand this...?

Jeffrey

It was just a question about an update. No need to get sanctimonious about it 

12 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Jeffrey

Jeez, wind it in..... the guy was only curious....chill out...

Apologies if it came across as too harsh, but my impression of the first replies to the initial post was another "they really had enough time, why is it not here already" theme. 

ZM usually time announcements and news with the US or UK nats (rather than Japanese shows) so I guess we'll hear news in Chattanooga. Perhaps test shots for dispaly? Perhaps a release at the UK nats in November? I have no idea, really just a guess.

Cheers,

J

Sorry you're probably right, but the map closely follows what they've produced so far such as the F-4J/S/C/D.  Outside of the RF & Brit models, all that's left is the F-4E/F and perhaps a "G"?  And to quote from that same link above "It's not over yet!
This is a promise for you F-4 fans! The development of 1/48 F-4 E has come to a good point. I think I may let you see a test-shot of the model in the next days so please look forward to it
. "  So the F-4E is pretty close . . . .

On 6/5/2019 at 5:46 PM, JeffreyK said:

Apologies if it came across as too harsh, but my impression of the first replies to the initial post was another "they really had enough time, why is it not here already" theme. 

ZM usually time announcements and news with the US or UK nats (rather than Japanese shows) so I guess we'll hear news in Chattanooga. Perhaps test shots for dispaly? Perhaps a release at the UK nats in November? I have no idea, really just a guess.

Cheers,

J

I will most certainly buy the E variant(s). But I hope they'll go all out and give us a Spey as well.

• 2 months later...

I was at the NATS on Wednesday & Thursday (7 & 8 Aug) and stopped by the ZM booth and on display was a 3d printed F-4E with a sign saying it would be available in summer 2020.  Sorry I didn't take a picture of it . . .

Edited by Viper_944FW

I have a picture. I still need to unpack and upload pictures.  The Old Man handed it to me to look at, and said they hope to have it ready this time next year. It looked like an F-4E to me, it has a long gun muzzle and a TIESO. I am not enough of an expert to know if everything is correct, so we will just need to see how it comes out and what the consensus is. 

When I chatted with the ZM staff in Chattanooga, they said that a F-4EJ will follow the F-4E. They are also planning on a EJ kai. Other variants now in the pipeline are the F-4G and F. I did not get a warm & fusszy feeling about the RF series.

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

30 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I was hoping they would lead with an EJ. Summer 2020 eh? Oh well, got plenty to build while I wait.

I’m looking forward to a new tool F-4E, but I wish they wouldn’t make the same mistake they did on the F-4S with the wing LE slats extended.  They were almost never extended on the ground, and the way that ZM molded the inner slat actuators, they have to be physically modified to be able to retract the slats.