The Parrot is not a Rivet Counter

WACO's post put this old commercial in my head...

...YouTube has everything :woot.gif:.

Alright... I'll leave now...

1 hour ago, thegoodsgt said:

As a blogger myself, I don't mind clicking into someone's blog to read their thoughts. After all, there's always a chance he has more say that captures my interest.

Steven Brown

Nothing wrong with that but when  you just put out a bunch of posts with no/very little content and just a bunch of links, it becomes a bit much.    Seems like the only purpose of being on ARC is to generate traffic for his blog.   

Might be better to post some in-depth info and then add the link for those who want to read further. 

31 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Nothing wrong with that but when  you just put out a bunch of posts with no/very little content and just a bunch of links, it becomes a bit much.    Seems like the only purpose of being on ARC is to generate traffic for his blog.   

Might be better to post some in-depth info and then add the link for those who want to read further. 

It is nothing so ulterior - my blog is not monetized and I am not generating traffic.  I write the occasional article for my blog and I share it here and other locations.  I try to get more "builds" and/or "model picture" posts up but sometimes my builds don't progress fast enough.  Anyway, the link is for those who are interested.  Good idea to provide more context but its far easier and faster to put the pictures up on the blog.

36 minutes ago, CorsairMan said:

<...> Good idea to provide more context but its far easier and faster to put the pictures up on the blog.

Faster and easier for sure (and in case of your Torcan pictures it makes a lot of sense), but can you see how posting a one-liner with a link to your blog may come across as highly click-baity?

Same with your post regarding stalled builds. Quite interesting topic, but the original post had no points to engage the users of this forum. Just a click-baity one-liner and a link to your blog.

I believe there are ways to provide critique to the context of the original post, as 11bee and Chernaya have done, without being hostile. Even without intent, on the internet, one should be cognizant of how they are forming sentences so as not to come across hostile. 

Just sayin'.

• 2 months later...

< devils_advocate >

So if I take the time to put together a blog about a build... or put together a sequential photo album full of comments about a build... and then post the link here so that interested parties can get some help on a similar subject... I will get blasted for posting a link?
If I took the time to write & post something in one place, I'll be damned if I am going to re-write it in a dozen different forums.

For those who like to stay in only one place... like ARC... for all their information & entertainment, the only person losing out is YOU if you don't want to venture to other places.

< /devils_advocate >

Edited by GlennCauley

I get both sides of this. Perhaps a good compromise would be to cut and paste the first paragraph or so of the article and then mention if you're still interested in reading more you can follow this link to the blog? Not trying to tell people what to post or not post, just posting a friendly suggestion that might help stop the "stop posting links" replies.

1 hour ago, GlennCauley said:

<...> So if I take the time to put together a blog about a build... or put together a sequential photo album full of comments about a build... and then post the link here so that interested parties can get some help on a similar subject... I will get blasted for posting a link? <...>

No, you will not.

As I said above regarding the pictures of a model exhibition, that's okay (although it wouldn't be too difficult to post some images).

In other cases, it's different. See above. The text regarding the rivet-counters could just as easily have been re-posted here on ARC. Would've taken all of two minutes with copy+paste. Two minutes only because of adding the pictures. That would've enabled discussion far better than a one-liner reeking of click-bait and a link. I'm sure it would've started an actual discussion of the subject, not this discussion about linking to blogs.

Okay, so you have an article for a build, but only post it to your blog, why do you even come to a forum? If you don't care about the people here and aren't willing to interact with them, why come to ARC at all? (This - all of this post, really - is in response to the devil's advocate argument, not to CorsairMan in particular)

Some people post abridged versions of their build threads here on ARC. Some parts of a build thread, enough to show all the steps you want to show. If people are interested in seeing all the steps in full detail, they can click a link. You won't get slammed.

<....> If I took the time to write & post something in one place, I'll be damned if I am going to re-write it in a dozen different forums.<...>

FWIW, my current in-progress thread was posted on four forums, two of which are English-language forums, the other two are German. Not only did I post it on four different forums (which isn't actually any trouble thanks to "copy+paste"), I even took the time to do the write-up in two languages.

I took the time because I like these forums. I value the members and their input. Forums depend on participation.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

If I took the time to write & post something in one place, I'll be damned if I am going to re-write it in a dozen different forums.

Highlight text that you took time to write & post. 

Right Click > Copy

Go to next forum. 

Right Click > Paste

Done.   If it took you more than 60 seconds to transfer your work to another forum, you are doing something wrong.   

The way I see it, If a forum just ends up being filled with posts directing readers to other websites, that forum ain't gonna be around for very long.    You might find that if you post interesting and informative stuff here on ARC and provide a link to your blog/forum/website, people will probably still head over to check our your content. 

My view:

You can be a contributing member of the forum

or

You can view the forum as potential readers of your blog

Either way, life is short. Make the best use of your time to do what you want to do, read what you want to read, write what (and where) you want to write.  It's all up to You.