I had to modify the main gear a little to accurately represent an RF-8G. I also got the exhaust done. The kit part protrudes from the rear by just a bit (1/8" or so). I just sanded the end down so it wouldn't protrude. ALCLAD and a few washes later ..and voila!

XKLzVfZ.jpg

ESAXgGV.jpg

I had decals made for the unit-specific markings (VFP-63 Det. 2) but I messed up the left side tail decal so I masked and painted the tail markings instead using a photocopy of the decals as a template.

6hTSgpG.jpg

oEAIbF2.jpg

39K9q28.jpg

NIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

Great build and your posts make it tougher and tougher for me to resist spending 80€ for the set 😉 Found one on the net, but 80€ plus the donor kit...plus a loooot of effort. And I don't know if I can make that beauty justice.

8 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

NIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

Great build and your posts make it tougher and tougher for me to resist spending 80€ for the set 😉 Found one on the net, but 80€ plus the donor kit...plus a loooot of effort. And I don't know if I can make that beauty justice.

Thanks! This has definitely been a lot of work but worth it. It has challenged me in a lot of ways and it's a subject matter that I've wanted to cover for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hitting the final stretch...some light weathering and a panel line wash with oils. Now it will sit for a few days to dry out before final clear coat. I'll give it another eyeball between now and then to add/remove weathering, if needed.

plHQSC7.jpg

3 hours ago, Rocketdrvr said:

Does the kit/conversion come with all the correct strengthening plates on the fuselage?

No. I had to scratch build the strengthening plates at the fire and aft corners of the main gear bays. Not that big of a deal. It does have the strengthening plate underneath, though.

• 2 weeks later...