1/350 Polar Lights K'tinga Battlecruiser

On 7/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, FlyAndFight said:

Great looking build.   Will definitely be using it as reference when I finally get to my kit.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Glad that it'll be useful for you. :)

Here's some more progress for the night. 

48185144257_8385ce538b_b.jpg

48185083561_7bdf9e64f6_b.jpg

48185083511_4977b4aff3_b.jpg

48185083441_8ca3b46dca_b.jpg

great masking work! Shame about the paint lift off - I have shared the same experience many times in the past, but it's repairable and that's all that matters. Luckily the angles make for easy masking.

The paint scheme overall looks awesome! I really like that splinter style

Looking forward to the finished result

Edited by The Madhatter
19 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

great masking work! Shame about the paint lift off - I have shared the same experience many times in the past, but it's repairable and that's all that matters. Luckily the angles make for easy masking.

The paint scheme overall looks awesome! I really like that splinter style

Looking forward to the finished result

Thanks! The masks from Aztec Dummy are nice to work with, but they're not a perfect fit everywhere.......but they save on Tamiya tape lol. 

That looks incredibly complex but yet very compelling - in other words, I keep coming back to look at it and saying to myself - I'm glad that's not me doing it.

Nice fix up BTW.

I also keep thinking it almost needs a filter over the top to tone down the contrasting colours without ruining the whole paint job. Maybe once the final flat coat goes on and some weathering, it'll help with the contrast. Dunno. I shall leave such decisions to you ;D 

7 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

That looks incredibly complex but yet very compelling - in other words, I keep coming back to look at it and saying to myself - I'm glad that's not me doing it.

Nice fix up BTW.

I also keep thinking it almost needs a filter over the top to tone down the contrasting colours without ruining the whole paint job. Maybe once the final flat coat goes on and some weathering, it'll help with the contrast. Dunno. I shall leave such decisions to you ;D 

It's definitely a chore to mask, paint, mask more, paint more.....

That's my plan. Get all the colors applied, detail paints and then a semi gloss coat. Washes, decals, etc to tie it all together, then flat coat and break out the Tamiya weathering compounds!

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Looks great! I'm taking notes in case they release a 1/1000 or 1/1400 version.

Ben

Thanks Ben! 1/1000 would be a good size to go with all the Kirk era ships they have!

Random update with just pictures to show where this build is at currently. All that's left for the major painting is the rear engine area and the forward area's under the 
"wings". Then it's onto a clear coat and weathering, chipping, washes, etc. 

Comments are welcome!

48312125137_7d5192ea3a_b.jpg

48312010266_4122dd0671_b.jpg

48312124772_ddd2aaf5df_b.jpg

7 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

That's looking smashing ! I keep looking at those side bits on the wings and my OCD is screaming it should have more detail.  The sensible side of me just says to shut up and enjoy looking at this awesome build. 

Haha! They'll get more detail as soon as I can seal the whole model under clear. I keep scratching it when I'm moving it around, needs protection.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:57 AM, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful!

Ben

Thanks Ben, it's appreciated!

Minor updates, as I've started applying decals. I didn't look at the instructions prior to spraying gloss and while I thought I knew where all the decals were, I missed a few. So....more gloss tomorrow, apply final decals, then seal it all up for oil washes. 

Straight off the factory line! 

Washes started on the cobra head as well as airbrushing Tamiya Clear Smoke to darken a few panels. 

48352904276_64f699ac1a_b.jpg

48352904236_f4e217ed0c_b.jpg

For some reason, the gold/yellow decal changed color. I'm not sure if it was from the Solvaset or MicrSol...oh well. 

48352904126_95418b5253_b.jpg

5 hours ago, admiralcag said:

Have you take a clear shot of the rear? I am trying to figure out the color.

Thanks!

Vern

Vern, here's one. Not the best light right now....

48357521812_07d6f431c1_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M

This build is really making me want to get one of these kits (and that is not something that happens much for me these days) but I just did an eBay search and they're over $280 shipped! I'd like one but I don't want one THAT much.

I shall enjoy watching you build yours instead

$280 shipped? Wow I did not pay that much even buying the light set....and in Canadian dollars! Build is still coming along great. The clean look your going with is very different then the heavily space weathered I went with, But either way, you can not go wrong with this model.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

$280 shipped? Wow I did not pay that much even buying the light set....and in Canadian dollars! Build is still coming along great. The clean look your going with is very different then the heavily space weathered I went with, But either way, you can not go wrong with this model.

Clean for now.....I started weathering at the front. Dirty is the Klingon way!

Figured I'd share a bit of weathering. I've started on the bulb/cobra head as well as the starboard upper wing (not included in pics). Dunno if it's the laptop, but the pictures look super washed out....let me know!

48367557012_f623ed081b_b.jpg

48367421336_75276b58ef_b.jpg

48367556887_7d3b3dc8c8_b.jpg