Kittyhawk 1/48 UH-1N Build Review

3 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There are a lot of us that do care. 

I wouldn't say a lot.  Probably closer to a few or some.  We are definitely the "one percenters" of modelers who are over-concerned about details and accuarcy.  99% of modelers are happy to build them out of the box and are satisfied that they look like a ___________ (insert favorite subject) when completed and sitting on the shelf.

Edited by HeavyArty
2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There are a lot of us that do care. 

Oh, as far as accuracy goes - absolutely. Most shape mistakes in kits could've been avoided at no extra cost. And I'm all for having the most accurate kits possible.

I just think this point that "Kitty Hawk is just in it to make money" is somewhat nonsensical. Kitty Hawk wants to make money. So what? Which manufacturer doesn't? I'd venture even everybody's favourite Tamiya likes to see not just a break-even, but also a profit.

If enough people are okay with the product Kitty Hawk puts out, where's the problem? If the manufacturer is fine with amount of kits sold and if the modellers are fine with the product they get, whose joy is being stolen here?

Detailed engines that no one will see are stupid. Putting ejection pins on panel lines is stupid. No argument there. But this argument that manufacturers don't care about the product and only want the money is absurd if people are okay with the product.

1 hour ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Oh, as far as accuracy goes - absolutely. Most shape mistakes in kits could've been avoided at no extra cost. And I'm all for having the most accurate kits possible.

I just think this point that "Kitty Hawk is just in it to make money" is somewhat nonsensical. Kitty Hawk wants to make money. So what? Which manufacturer doesn't? I'd venture even everybody's favourite Tamiya likes to see not just a break-even, but also a profit.

If enough people are okay with the product Kitty Hawk puts out, where's the problem? If the manufacturer is fine with amount of kits sold and if the modellers are fine with the product they get, whose joy is being stolen here?

Detailed engines that no one will see are stupid. Putting ejection pins on panel lines is stupid. No argument there. But this argument that manufacturers don't care about the product and only want the money is absurd if people are okay with the product.

You make a good point but many of the issues flagged could be corrected at no / limited costs, by simply doing better research or listening to the team you already have onboard.   And if KH did this, one has to assume that even more people would be "okay" with their product and the end result would be even more revenue.    I don't see a downside to this.

They don't have to spend millions on state of the art moulding technology to achieve modeling nirvana, just do a better job on the small details.  

7 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

I wouldn't say a lot.  Probably closer to a few or some.  We are definitely the "one percenters" of modelers who are over-concerned about details and accuarcy.  99% of modelers are happy to build them out of the box and are satisfied that they look like a ___________ (insert favorite subject) when completed and sitting on the shelf.

Errr… that must be me..!:scared0016:

I for one like to build fast instead of detailed, most of the time. If I want detail on a model, I am perfectly able (well...to my taste that is :whistle:)  to add the details that I think are essential on a specific model. I built the KH Dauphin and found it overdone: engine detail and all the seperate fuselage panels are completely lost on me. To me, the kit could have done with halve of the number of parts...

To me what is essential on any kit model, is the shape: there's not much a modeller can do to correct a basically wrong shape of a helicopter kit fuselage. I am no Huey connaisseur, but after having read the threads on the subject I understand that earlier UH1- kits by other manufacturers all had shape problems (esp. the nose). Are these solved on the KH kit? I see the rotor system has its flaws in the KH Huey...

Important disclaimer that goes with my opinion as stated in the first lines above: I love to see you guys on the ARC forum build your stuff in your own way. Dave, perfect job on your KH Huey and the KH instruction sheets, keep up the good work!!!

Sorry for the eventual thread drift, just my 2 cts.

:cheers:

Reading some of the replies here, I think some are confusing the terms "detail" and "accuracy".

The buttons/layout on the center console of the UH-1N aren't quite right. The cyclic and collective sticks aren't correct for the UH-1N either, but they are very well detailed.

The main rotor blade and mast are well detailed, but are inaccurate for the UH-1N. 

Had Kittyhawk spent less time/energy/money on the detailed parts for the engine that can't be seen when the kit is completed and more time on providing the correct main rotor blades, cyclic's and collectives, this kit would have been a winner right out the gate. 

maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the 1/35 Huey changed to 1/48th...now there is some hope that when it does come, most of the accuracy issues and errors will be rectified and we get a beautiful kit. Hopefully..........

Edited by UH-1Mad
On 7/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, UH-1Mad said:

maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the 1/35 Huey changed to 1/48th...now there is some hope that when it does come, most of the accuracy issues and errors will be rectified and we get a beautiful kit. Hopefully..........

Given KH's current track record, I'd expect the 35th Huey to be nothing more than an upscaled replica of the existing kit, warts and all.   That assumes they will ever release a 35th scale Huey.   Not a huge sample size but three LHS owners I spoke with said the 48th UH-1D/H sold poorly.   I seem to recall a rep from KH stating that the 35th Huey would be along "shortly" after the release of the 48th scale Huey.   Still waiting....

It's a shame because even if they just opted to scale up the existing kit, at least we'd have a reasonably accurate base Huey to work with.   You'd have to invest a good amount of time / money to get it 100% (this depends mostly on your viewpoint on the "divots") but the basics would be there.   Only real issue I could see is if they didn't address those horribly over-thick access / reinforcing panels that cover the 48th scale model.  Those would be a major pain deal with.  

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

I finished it a couple of weeks ago. Pics of the completed model are in the Display Case forum.

Thanks Dave, I shall check it out, despite 'all' of the inaccuracies, I still think it is a great thing, and can't wait to get one and put my civilian spin on it.....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find a modicum of irony in the criticisms of KH and their apparent wanton disregard across the board for lack instructional coherency and legibility.  Note I didn't say ANYTHING about accuracy, as I believe accuracy, as several others have pointed out, is in the eye of the beholder and something many of us either don't understand or relate to, especially those of us who have no military background (yours truly).

I've personally decided that money talks, bullshit walks (is that the saying??) and will NOT purchase any further KH kits of any kind, as my very limited experience with them (2 kits) were rampant with incorrect and incomprehensible instructions and over indulgence with pointless detail of parts that will never see the light of day once installed.  

So, those of us who have repeated found KH quality lacking, I say, DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCTS.  Pure and simple.  I won't.