Mega Tucano in 1/72, mostly Airfix

My next build will be a modification of the Airfix 1/72 Tucano prop trainer. I already did something similar years ago, but this time I will add some more constructive changes (not too many).

Starting point is this:

nYLdssE.jpg

First stop: The cockpit!

2VULIjo.jpg

YNO1Oxj.jpg

HAJO

Here you can see my main modification:

VFTcYMy.jpg

TUZUqYU.jpg

I want to give the aircraft some bigger engine and prolonged the nose cowling by 4mm.

Putting the thing into shape:

tFcbgmE.jpg

And after some more sanding and the installation of the front end:

lXp2cBW.jpg

HAJO

Last build?? We have still more than two months left! 

I have at least one another project in the pipeline. 😉

HAJO 

Edited by Hajo L.

Sorry for not posting much, but with the summer on full swing and the holidays starting for my older daughter the days somehow don´t offer much modelling time anymore...

Anyway, that´s the way it looks at the moment:

G7yW5KX.jpg

I also added some pylons, my plan is to hang mostly A2G-stuff:

BqRtsYk.jpg

HAJO

Hmm, that would be a bit too much "what iffy" for me... Aaaand I don´t think they would fit under the wings! 😉

Got the first camo on:

3qiT5yh.jpg

MU4F9pr.jpg

Will continue on here, my idea is to get some subtle camo that resembles roughly the "Hinterhalt-Tarnung" of the German Wehrmacht.

I will also add a different prop:

Tc5ChYB.jpg

On the right side the original prop of the kit, on the left side my interpretation, using blades of a 1/72 Lancaster.

HAJO

Yeah, or I just use them as ventilator... Look at this!!

ejmsDP3.jpg

I´m looking forward to next week, although I´ll spend it on a training course and therefor won´t be able to build.

This is the current status of the model. It´s hard to see, but I added a couple of brown dots on the green patches along the demarcation line to soften it up. Same will be done with green on the brown patches.

a6eokv8.jpg

Or maybe I just go into the shower and "let it rain" until I have to go to bed...

HAJO

The spots do show faintly.

I like that idea.
And speaking of fainting, I just don't think of it ever getting that warm in Northern Europe.
Dang! That's hot even for here! 39C = 102.2F
Just for fun, here's a bit about the local climate and weather where I live, article says the nearby city is approximately latitude 39 north, so that would be something to compare to your location.

http://climate.missouri.edu/climate.php

TEMPERATURE - Because of its inland location, Missouri is subject to frequent changes in temperature. While winters are cold and summers are hot, prolonged periods of very cold or very hot weather are unusual. Occasional periods of mild, above freezing temperatures are noted almost every winter. Conversely, during the peak of the summer season, occasional periods of dry-cool weather break up stretches of hot, humid weather.

Temperatures over 100° F are rare, but they have occurred in every section of the State. In the summer, temperatures rise to 90° F or higher on an average of 40 to 50 days in the west and north and 55 to 60 days in the southeast. Temperatures below zero are infrequent, but have occurred in every county in Missouri. On the average there are 2 to 5 days a year with below zero temperatures in the northern counties, and 1 to 2 days in the southern counties, although there are some winters when temperatures do not go below zero at all.

Actually, I don't know why he says, "Temperatures over 100° F are rare" since we do have heat waves some years where temps can be in the 100F range for a week at a time.
Occasionally longer.

And, "although there are some winters when temperatures do not go below zero at all", there are some where like several years ago it stayed below freezing for the entirety of January, which, granted, is not below zero F, but that was a long time to be that cold.

Edited by southwestforests
On 6/25/2019 at 2:13 PM, Hajo L. said:

Yeah, or I just use them as ventilator... Look at this!!

And speaking of looking at this, I just saw this, 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48795264

European heatwave: France hits record temperature of 44.3C

7 minutes ago

France has hit its highest ever recorded temperature - 44.3C (111.7F)

Swathes of the continent are experiencing extreme heat. Germany, France, Poland and the Czech Republic have all recorded their highest-ever June temperatures.

In Spain firefighters are battling Catalonia's worst wildfires in 20 years. Eight provinces are on red alert while temperatures are expected to rise above 42C in many areas.

The Italian ministry of health has reported emergency levels of heat in 16 cities.

Edited by southwestforests

Yeah, great... We had the hottest day on wednesday, fortunately it went up to 36 degrees Celsius only. Today was nearly "cold" with 25... Sunday is scheduled again with 39... *sigh*

I show two pictures of the model as it looked yesterday, I´m already a bit ahead, just put on some decals!

khPps74.jpg

s7457Cm.jpg

HAJO

With decals, but still without matt coat, prop and weapons:

2xljbhB.jpg

But I added guns in the wings! (Some resin-leftovers of a set for my Lancaster).

bYd3CEd.jpg

Pictures of the finished aircraft tomorrow!

HAJO

It´s done!

3Rc8dUP.jpg

The camo-scheme is hard to grab with the camera, but I like the subtle way it´s working!

74eb5Yd.jpg

As you can see, it got some serious A2G-armament: Two small JDAMs and four Hellfire.

4OyM4gT.jpg

VMGnKSb.jpg

qtdnBT2.jpg

6V6zBpS.jpg

MAhEn5r.jpg

The pro-longed nose looks very natural, I have to say!

mxrsXa0.jpg

Ek8cxDW.jpg

And the comparison with my other Tucano, that got some additions, but had kept their original shape:

O97Ly6i.jpg

OaQuutn.jpg

dXzpLnS.jpg

HAJO

That extended nose does look like it should be there.  I really like the way that you used the dots to tie the two camo colors together.

Els