Looking for someone to do some PE production for me

I’ve emailed a bunch of companies looking for some custom etch works, but I haven’t gotten any replies.  

Have any of you been successful in hiring a firm to do your etch for you?

All of the artwork is done.

Thanks,

Chris 

21 hours ago, swimmer25k said:

I’ve emailed a bunch of companies looking for some custom etch works, but I haven’t gotten any replies.  

Have any of you been successful in hiring a firm to do your etch for you?

All of the artwork is done.

It would help an awful lot if you mention the parties that you contacted so far..

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of DIY how-tos online. It doesn't look too hard to do, other than working with and disposing of Hazmat like the etching acids. That might be the most affordable way to do it. The only one-off photo-etching service I've ever seen was Fotocut, but the owner passed away several years ago.

Ben

From looking at Ponoko’s minimum charges, you could get a photo etching system from Micro-Mark for about half that. I’d be considering one if I weren’t trying to avoid using PE on my models. 😄

Ben

Looking into this a few years ago I did find it cheaper to get the supplies and try the work myself.

It is akin to the way circuit boards are made and the tooling for that will work for p/e model production.

I did get all of the supplies but have yet to try it out, I went on a casting learning curve at the same time and got that sorted.

I was also lucky enough to chat with Fred from FotoCut on the phone once. He was a real craftsman and asked me enough questions to almost put me off, when I kept going he knew I was gonna do it so he really helped me after that.

Whenever |I see his stuff at shows in the vendor area I grab it , as it is all excellent quality.

Disposal of the used etch liquid is the real problem , but in a hobby situation there wont be much of it.