Q about early/late aftermarket options for F-16 block 25/32 tamiya 1/48

Hi,

I would like to build tamiya f-16C block 25/32.

Since I am not into F-16 that much, I was wondering which aftermarket should I get.

I would like to use brassin exhaust, this one here:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F-16CJ-Block-52-engine-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=f-16

It is indicated to be for block 52, but isn't it the same for 25/32?

Also, should I get early or late wheels (I suppose early)

So, this:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F-16-early-wheels-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=f-16

or this:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F-16-late-wheels-1-48-1.html?listtype=search&searchparam=f-16

And early or late seat:

So this:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F-16-early-seat-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=f-16

or this:

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F-16-late-seat-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=f-16

And I think that late radar goes here, am I correct?

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F-16-radar-late-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=f-16

Please help, I've searched the net and I am even more confused after that.

Thanks!

Edited by skuki

Certainly not the expert here, but I'll try.

The late Eduard radar is APG-68 supposedly (not sure if Eduard disclosed the exact subvariant it should represent?), so that should generally be OK for 25/32.

The nozzles between 25/32 and 52 are not the same. Aires makes separate sets for those so you can compare those for differences.

I think Block 40/42 got bigger wheels, so that might mean Eduard early wheels are the way to go here?

Both seats are Aces II it seems, so you could go with early then, but that might also depend on the exact airframe and the year you're trying to represent as I guess those might be reused and shuffled around.

Edited by ijozic
7 minutes ago, ijozic said:

The nozzles between 25/32 and 52 are not the same. Aires makes separate sets for those so you can compare those for differences.

Hi, thanks.

I did see that aires has both, but I would rather go for brassin since I've heard it fits better.

However I couldn't find differences when looking on the pictures of both nozzles. So I was wondering if brassin block 52 nozzle can pass for 25/32. Btw Tamiya  thunderbird F-16 block 32/52 gives the same nozzle in the box

Hmm, not sure. The engine is stronger so there might be something different. I notice the PE parts have different codes so maybe there's some difference there.

Here they mention the color of nozzles is different so I'm not sure if the materials or treatment was changed (presumably due to higher exhaust gas temperatures).

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14434

I'm just fishing here, hopefully someone with more knowledge would chime in.

Edited by ijozic
3 minutes ago, Matt Walker said:

From a modelling point of view, the engines are the same. Difference being, the 25/32 has "silver" exterior petals, and the 52 has carbon fiber (very dark gray) petals.

M

Great, thanks all

brassin add to cart

2 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

From a modelling point of view, the engines are the same. Difference being, the 25/32 has "silver" exterior petals, and the 52 has carbon fiber (very dark gray) petals.

M

Matt,

that´s not 100% correct: The carbon fiber petals have a straight trailing edge, whereas the metal petals have a slight cutout in the trailing edge. That said the difference is quite minor and most people will not notice it. There are nice pics of it in Jake's new book.

Joerg

Block 52 jets have the -229 engine with the the carbon fiber ‘feathers’ which are different in both shape and appearance from the -220 engines in Block 25/32 jets. 

The main (visible) differences in early/late seats are the seat cushions and the  air data probes. Early seats had the pleated OD cushions and extended air data probes. Later seats had black lambskin seat cushions and air data probes that were folded down, only extending as part of the ejection sequence. 

The pics in the Eduard links seem to get the cushions right but missed the air data probes. Also the later seats look to be sans seat belts. 

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

Block 52 jets have the -229 engine with the the carbon fiber ‘feathers’ which are different in both shape and appearance from the -220 engines in Block 25/32 jets. 

The main (visible) differences in early/late seats are the seat cushions and the  air data probes. Early seats had the pleated OD cushions and extended air data probes. Later seats had black lambskin seat cushions and air data probes that were folded down, only extending as part of the ejection sequence. 

The pics in the Eduard links seem to get the cushions right but missed the air data probes. Also the later seats look to be sans seat belts. 

Thanks a lot. I'll still go for brassin, somehow I want to skip aires and that fit to the fuselage. Still, is hard to notice difference in shape, especially in 1/48 scale. I'll try to enhance differences in appearance with color (on petals and edges).

Also, is there any producer that makes electronic bays, beside Black dog?

Thanks!

Hi!

While some Aires Stuff might have some fit issues, the exhaust nozzle for the P&W engines fits perfectly to the Tamiya kit. I used two sets, and both fit without any need for filler and sanding.

Cheers,

Markus

If you can get them the Sierra Hotel Models Seats are really nice. They also have (or had?) small cockpit upgrades with seat, IP coaming and some small parts, which are fantastic. Drop them an email. I have a couple and they are worth the money.

Hi, here are some dry fit pic of black dog set.

Since this is a black dog, fit is a surprise. Black dog has (or had) some issues with shrinkage of the resin

This main part is most important, if it is shrunk, it can easily go to the trash can. I don't care about the rest since everything is doable and adjustable.

The wheel bay part fits perfectly. I simply "clicks" and is attached without glueing.

IMG-20190612-190223.jpg

IMG-20190612-185350.jpg

IMG-20190612-185749.jpg

IMG-20190612-190042.jpg

IMG-20190612-191540.jpg

On 6/14/2019 at 2:55 AM, skuki said:

Hi, here are some dry fit pic of black dog set.

Since this is a black dog, fit is a surprise. Black dog has (or had) some issues with shrinkage of the resin

This main part is most important, if it is shrunk, it can easily go to the trash can. I don't care about the rest since everything is doable and adjustable.

The wheel bay part fits perfectly. I simply "clicks" and is attached without glueing.

IMG-20190612-190223.jpg

IMG-20190612-185350.jpg

IMG-20190612-185749.jpg

IMG-20190612-190042.jpg

IMG-20190612-191540.jpg

Where’s the PDU and LEF tubes?? Your LEFS aren’t going to work 😂

1 minute ago, ijozic said:

As commented already, the early Brassin radar is AN/APG-66 which wasn't used on the F-16C of any block.

Well unless you count the F-16N.  That was basically a early F-16C block 30 with some mods. 

3 hours ago, achterkirch said:

Well unless you count the F-16N.  That was basically a early F-16C block 30 with some mods. 

Good point, but I guess they downgraded the radar to AN/APG-66 to save some money.

17 hours ago, ijozic said:

As commented already, the early Brassin radar is supposedly the AN/APG-66 which wasn't used on the F-16C of any block.

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/f-16-radar-early-anapg-66

Hi, thanks

but I just wanted to be sure since 84-1250 is an early bird from 1985, 6 years after F-16 went into service, and was lost in 1995.

It has some old element like old wheels from A/B variants. I couldn't find information about the year they  started to install APG-68. If it was only 5 years after F-16 went into service, then I will use it.

In a lack of that information, and in doubt, I'll stick to the fact that it is C variant and put the later radar in.

OK, but I touched upon those concerns in the initial post.

Starting with F-16C (i.e. Block 25), the F-16's used the bigger AN/APG-68 set (except for the non-combat F-16N, as corrected above).

The "early" smaller wheels are not F-16A/B wheels per se, since they were also used on the Block 25/30/32 as the bigger wheels came with Block 40/42 (due to increased weight allowance).

You have the block changes described here, for example.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions.html

Edited by ijozic