Su-57 from Zvezda, completely new!!!

Here are some new images of the kit from the Zvezda official fake book, I believe the kit should be out in no time.

40CNs1P.jpg

obXH8Rv.jpg

SjypD0c.jpg

What can be seen on the sprues is that at last the fins for the R-77 missiles have been turned around. It was about time, on all recent kits the same weapons sprue was used where the fins were the wrong way around. A silly mistake but it was not corrected for a long time.

vUEl3uJ.jpg 

Here is one sprue which is new. Both the front of it

26awcsK.jpg 

and the back as well.

9aNzYEi.jpg

A good view of the new engine exhaust. It looks stunning I have to admit but it also brings with it a problem. Only the would be new generation engines will be on aircraft in the future. For now it is only a test and all the current ones use the “standard” engine. Some cross kitting could be in view with borrowing exhausts from earlier Zvezda Sukhoy kits.

umEfVLn.jpg

Some people are complaining that the weapons bay is not given as an option to be opened. Well there is absolutely no information on the innards. From photos it is visible where the hinges and the opening jacks located but nothing more than that. There is absolutely no point in providing fictitious bays. If it will be revealed I am sure some aftermarkets will make it in no time.

Some mask people already promised to make paint masks for the digital camo. OK, but for which version???  There are several . . .  :)  :)

Next week at the MAKS three should be flying but it is still a question if 57 will be shown in static. Well I am sure for the Presidential day it will be displayed but only to some VIP and the most VIP person. No prizes for guessing . . .  :)

Best regards

Gabor

The question of 48 th scale kit was raised so many times and not only in connection with the Su-57. I can only repeat that this is Russia and on its home market Zvezda is primarily interested in 72 nd scale. It is by far the main market.

Yes, they have made some other types in 48 th but I believe it will remain in the background and core business will still be in 72 nd.

The Moscow air show, the MAKS (well it is not an air show as such but an aerospace industry showplace / market) is starting this week and according to the preliminary information one 57 will be on static display also for the very first time. I believe it when it already happened. :whistle:

So the rivet counters will have a chance to look at it in flesh and compare to the kit. 

Some fantastic photos are already out by an excellent Russian photographer Marina Lystseva. Love  her work!  :worship:   :thumbsup:   :worship:

91FzjLb.jpg

KPt4wYc.jpg

3IaPfTG.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The question of 48 th scale kit was raised so many times and not only in connection with the Su-57. I can only repeat that this is Russia and on its home market Zvezda is primarily interested in 72 nd scale. It is by far the main market.

Yes, they have made some other types in 48 th but I believe it will remain in the background and core business will still be in 72 nd.

Thanks for the info Gabor. Perhaps someday they will look to expand their market, who knows. Seems that the popular scale in Europe and, as you mentioned, Russia is 1/72. In the US and Japan, perhaps even China, I think 1/48. I'm a 1/48 guy myself. 1/72 scale is just too small for my old eyes and hands. So, when I see a company like Zvezda making incredibly detailed 1/72 scale kits, I naturally hope they will think about releasing those kits in 1/48. Oh well...:dontknow:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Perhaps someday they will look to expand their market, who knows. Seems that the popular scale in Europe and, as you mentioned, Russia is 1/72. In the US and Japan, perhaps even China, I think 1/48. I'm a 1/48 guy myself. 1/72 scale is just too small for my old eyes and hands. So, when I see a company like Zvezda making incredibly detailed 1/72 scale kits, I naturally hope they will think about releasing those kits in 1/48. Oh well...:dontknow:

It is perfectly understandable.

I like 48th as well (but also would not refuse a 144), it has more scope for details but it has its draw backs too. The size of the kits and the price of the sets. Here is where we get to the Russian market, there is historic inheritance: smaller flats, smaller places to store the finished kits, less money, one can afford more kits from the 72nd range. Let’s not forget that wages are not the same (true for most of Eastern Europe also). Also historically 72 kits were the ones available for decades with only very limited larger scales.

It could be a business decision to influence the market and turn it into a 48th scale dominance. But for this you need a lot of time, a forceful and very dedicated company / head of a company. It takes years, but with good marketing it is possible. I am not sure if Zvezda has this after the death of its founder. Still they made few diversions into the bigger scale. I think it was a kind of testing of the market and of possibilities. Still if they want to have mass sells and I mean really lot’s of kits sold then for the moment it will be 72.

Not surprising that Eduard went for the perfect money maker with the Mustang in 48th scale selling in few weeks more than 7000 copies (including the overtrees) with what is it 50 or so USD, multiply that with 7000 and you already have (approaching half a million) most of your tooling, r&d costs returned. And production of the Mustang is only starting. . .

Yes this is a perfect business decision: one of the best subjects, the dominant local scale and introduce it at the biggest event. A perfect reach of customers, lots of money in the till.

One more thing, the r&d costs of a 72 or 48 scale kit are about the same, tooling is little more expensive for 48th, but the eventual price tag of a 48th scale kit is by far greater. The bigger scale will make more money for the company for a given investment in comparison with 72nd.

When will Zvezda join in this game is not clear but time will come. The infrastructure is there, they have all the latest in tool making, they have excellent designers producing fantastic CAD’s so . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Great insights. Thanks Gabor. I know that in the US, when the plastic model companies were first getting started back in the 50s, houses were starting to get larger, incomes we rising. Aurora was releasing kits that were 1/48 aircraft (or close to that) for about a dollar, sometimes less. All the kids in my neighborhood snatched them up and built them as fast as we could. There wasn't much in the way of detail, but the size of the kits was set in our minds. They were perfect for our little hands to build and play with (including blowing up with fire crackers). It is perhaps back then that the scale preference started in the US. I didn't see a 1/72 kit until years later when Airfix kits started showing up on the shelves of hobby stores.

Well, I've stolen this thread too long. Back to the Su-57!

21 hours ago, Mstor said:

Great insights. 

Well, I've stolen this thread too long. Back to the Su-57!

I dont really think it was an off-topic. A lot of people on different forums and in fake book posts are asking if there will be a 48th version of this or other aircraft from Zvezda. It is important to know the background to get to know what can be expected and in this case about the topic of this forum, the Su-57. It is an important part of the story and very directly connected to this new Zvezda kit of Su-57.

As for the real aircraft, as far as I know it was in static display today 057 and shown to Presidents visiting MAKS. It should be in the static for the rest of the week also. So rivet counters at last have a chance to look at it from close up.

A surprise arrival at the show is Berkut, Su-47 which was also put in the static. A decade or more ago I seen it fly several times and boy it was something special!

Once again photo by Marina Lystseva. I envy her very much this week!!!!!!

fTt773W.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

On 8/26/2019 at 6:03 AM, Mstor said:

In the US and Japan, perhaps even China, I think 1/48. 

Now there''s a statistical conclusion I didn't know existed. That buttresses the "fact" that 1/48 decals outsell 1/72, I suppose. 

I'm a 1/48 guy myself ... .

Well, since I'm a 1/72 guy myself, I don't buy your premise, but all that's has been hashed to death for a long time on these boards.  :cheers:

Long live Zvezda's outstanding 1/72 lines. Amen.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
5 hours ago, GeneK said:

Now there''s a statistical conclusion I didn't know existed. That buttresses the "fact" that 1/48 decals outsell 1/72, I suppose. 

Well, since I'm a 1/72 guy myself, I don't buy your premise, but all that's has been hashed to death for a long time on these boards.  :cheers:

Long live Zvezda's outstanding 1/72 lines. Amen.

Gene K

Just semi-informed guesses for the purposes of discussion. Not stated as fact. I've been wrong many, many times so this wouldn't be the first time :dontknow:

Cheers!!:thumbsup:

The recent 1/72 Zvezda kits of the big Sukhoi jet fighters are truly excellent. It calls for getting into a smaller scale mindset and taking more care as the detail is exquisite, and very good value. 

I'd love to see the Su-57 in 1/32 scale, but realise the most likely candidate is a Polish card model. In fact, 1/33 card models are probably the key reason there are so few home grown LSP kits in Eastern Europe.

But we'll see what Kitty Hawk do in 1/48. 

Tony 

On 8/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, ya-gabor said:

It is perfectly understandable.

I like 48th as well (but also would not refuse a 144), it has more scope for details but it has its draw backs too. The size of the kits and the price of the sets. Here is where we get to the Russian market, there is historic inheritance: smaller flats, smaller places to store the finished kits, less money, one can afford more kits from the 72nd range. Let’s not forget that wages are not the same (true for most of Eastern Europe also). Also historically 72 kits were the ones available for decades with only very limited larger scales.

It could be a business decision to influence the market and turn it into a 48th scale dominance. But for this you need a lot of time, a forceful and very dedicated company / head of a company. It takes years, but with good marketing it is possible. I am not sure if Zvezda has this after the death of its founder. Still they made few diversions into the bigger scale. I think it was a kind of testing of the market and of possibilities. Still if they want to have mass sells and I mean really lot’s of kits sold then for the moment it will be 72.

Not surprising that Eduard went for the perfect money maker with the Mustang in 48th scale selling in few weeks more than 7000 copies (including the overtrees) with what is it 50 or so USD, multiply that with 7000 and you already have (approaching half a million) most of your tooling, r&d costs returned. And production of the Mustang is only starting. . .

Yes this is a perfect business decision: one of the best subjects, the dominant local scale and introduce it at the biggest event. A perfect reach of customers, lots of money in the till.

One more thing, the r&d costs of a 72 or 48 scale kit are about the same, tooling is little more expensive for 48th, but the eventual price tag of a 48th scale kit is by far greater. The bigger scale will make more money for the company for a given investment in comparison with 72nd.

When will Zvezda join in this game is not clear but time will come. The infrastructure is there, they have all the latest in tool making, they have excellent designers producing fantastic CAD’s so . . .

Best regards

Gabor

They did a  wonderful job on their Yak -130 in 1/48th scale!

28 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

They did a  wonderful job on their Yak -130 in 1/48th scale!

. . . "Still they made few diversions into the bigger scale (48th). I think it was a kind of testing of the market and of possibilities".  .  .  

Best regards

Gabor

21 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I dont really think it was an off-topic. A lot of people on different forums and in fake book posts are asking if there will be a 48th version of this or other aircraft from Zvezda. It is important to know the background to get to know what can be expected and in this case about the topic of this forum, the Su-57. It is an important part of the story and very directly connected to this new Zvezda kit of Su-57.

As for the real aircraft, as far as I know it was in static display today 057 and shown to Presidents visiting MAKS. It should be in the static for the rest of the week also. So rivet counters at last have a chance to look at it from close up.

A surprise arrival at the show is Berkut, Su-47 which was also put in the static. A decade or more ago I seen it fly several times and boy it was something special!

Once again photo by Marina Lystseva. I envy her very much this week!!!!!!

fTt773W.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

I love this aircraft. I mean Su-47. What a design!! It is a shame we dont have one in 1/48 😐 

Anyone planning to visit MAKS this weekend don’t expect to have a unlimited access to that Su-57. 😊  😁  😊 It has been carefully cordoned off from three sides. All that will be visible is a front view, given that you don’t have about a million of other interested standing in front of you.

No surprise! After all how much was visible at big air shows of US new generation fighters in this stage of development.

Photo by Marina Lystseva once again.

RjZTOO4.jpg 

The good side of the story is that the Berkut is at least more viewable from all directions.

Also I believe Zvezda will use the opportunity and sell the brand new kit at the show. Well I would if I was Zvezda.

Best regards

Gabor

Saab recently let a select group of nerds (me included) get a close up, inside the barrier, meet and greet with the Gripen E prototype. I don’t think they will do such a thing ever again 😂

Little did they know that there are so many angles and ways to frame a shot, and so many details to photograph. They thought we’d be happy just to shoot it from the front. 

One photographer leaning on the pitot probe on an adjacent 39D while framing a shot didn’t make things any better. 😡

Did I have the view from behind? Dont think so. Here it is of the built kit. This is something you will not see on that 057 at MAMS which is only a non flying test bed and an early version. They had it labeled as Su-57E that is for export. Well you have to have something on that board next to it.  :)) 

Still I think the bigges attraction (for me anyway) was that Su-47 Berkut even if it is not the same by now as the one flown all those years ago at MAKS. Several things were changed on it including the addition of that big belly pod to test weapons bay doors for PAK-FA. And all the stencils were painted over with black to keep the "big secrets", so we dont know where the ultra secret "lift points" and such . . . :)))

Kotey,

Why Austria????? Are they so special? :)))  that they should get the first delivery of the new kit?

Best regards

Gabor

Zvezda Su-57 18.jpg