Rivet Joint Dorsal Antenna Question

I'm trying to find out what the dimensions are of the small dish antennas on the spine of the RC-135 Rivet Joint aircraft.  They carry five of them.   You can see them in this photo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signals_intelligence_operational_platforms_by_nation#/media/File:RC-135_Rivet_Joint.jpg

FlightPath UK calls them Sigint Antennas https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP72221.     I've done a google search and the only thing I can come up with is some type of Satcom antenna but no idea how big they are.   I'm looking for the diameter of the dish so I can punch out a bunch of the discs in 1/144 for all the RC-'s and other large elint types that I have in the pipeline. 

Edited by Drifterdon
58 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

I'm trying to find out what the dimensions are of the small dish antennas on the spine of the RC-135 Rivet Joint aircraft.  They carry five of them.   You can see them in this photo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signals_intelligence_operational_platforms_by_nation#/media/File:RC-135_Rivet_Joint.jpg

FlightPath UK calls them Sigint Antennas https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP72221.     I've done a google search and the only thing I can come up with is some type of Satcom antenna but no idea how big they are.   I'm looking for the diameter of the dish so I can punch out a bunch of the discs in 1/144 for all the RC-'s and other large elint types that I have in the pipeline. 

You could measure either the disc or its shadow (in pixels for example), and compare that to the fuselage diameter / width. I measured the first two and they are approximately 13.5% - 14.0% of the fuselage width.

Rob

15 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Can't help on the dimensions but I believe those are SATCOM antennas, not SIGNIT receivers.  Would love to see some nice EC/RC-135 conversions, good luck on your project! 

Completely agree about them not being Sigint antennas.  The Rivet Joints and Cobra Balls all bristle with these antennas down the spine.

Edited by Drifterdon
2 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

You could measure either the disc or its shadow (in pixels for example), and compare that to the fuselage diameter / width. I measured the first two and they are approximately 13.5% - 14.0% of the fuselage width.

Rob

Thanks Rob.   This gives me a starting point.  

Thanks Don! Good luck with yours

I should also add, I based my antennas on the ones in the Flightpath E-8 conversion set which is still to be finished

27943411649_575c860658_b.jpg

I thought they looked a little large so I reduced the size by about 1 mm for the E-3 scratch built ones as I recall.

20 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

I should also add, I based my antennas on the ones in the Flightpath E-8 conversion set which is still to be finished

I thought they looked a little large so I reduced the size by about 1 mm for the E-3 scratch built ones as I recall.

I have a package of the Flightpath antennas and thought they looked a wee on the large side as well.  I'll scale down like you did for your Sentry.

And your E-8 is looking great.   You're so close to having it done.

Edited by Drifterdon
9 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

I have a package of the Flightpath antennas and thought they looked a wee on the large side as well.  I'll scale down like you did for your Sentry.

And your E-8 is looking great.   You're so close to having it done.

Thanks Don,

You and Brother Dutch are driving me to finish my shelf queens! I know there are some paint issues and a couple of antennas that need refitting.

What the heck, it will be the next one to attack after a TSR.2 I am working on.

Edited by Trojan Thunder
6 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Thanks Don,

You and Brother Dutch are driving me to finish my shelf queens! I know there are some paint issues and a couple of antennas that need refitting.

What the heck, it will be the next one to attack after a TSR.2 I am working on.

Git er done!

• 4 weeks later...