1/144 KC-97L - Finished!

Hi Folks,

Well this one is finally done, my 1/144 Minicraft KC-97.  This is another rescue from the old shelf of doom.  I started it about 10 years ago - it's the Minicraft KC-97G kit with the fantastic Cobra Co. detail set, finished off with the excellent and fairly new Caracal Models decal sheet.  Minicraft didn't offer an "L" version when I started this build.  I knew I wanted to do a Texas ANG bird but alas no decals...

This kit was in a sad state for a long time collecting dust.   Kursad's new decals were just what I needed to finish this kit off.  It had sat so long that  one of the horizontal stabs had broken off.  Luckily I was smart enough to put all the same bits and pieces into a zip-lock baggie so nothing was lost over the years (including a move to a new house).  The fit of this kit was okay, with the nacelles being the worst areas by far.  Lots of filling and sanding session were needed to smooth everything out.

I used Tamiya AS-12 for the natural metal right out of the rattle can.  It's good stuff.  Model Master Classic White, ADC Gray, and Classic Black where also airbrushed on with my new Iwata TRN-1 that I really love (I used a single action Paasche H for 20 years!)

I was originally going to build this gear down but in the years it sat, I saw several of Carl Knable's magnificent builds using clear plastic stands and I had to copy that.  Painting 1/144 wheels and tires isn't too fun and this way speeds things up.  The Caracal decals went on well.  Several decals from the kit sheet were also used.  Each prop has 12 small bits of decal stripes on it for the black areas.  This was done over several sessions but I am pleased with the results.

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.  

-Derek

xZuRj43.jpg

pQX4gRk.jpg

TmtOp1C.jpg

hI0dEP2.jpg

dIlchaJ.jpg

neGBOlR.jpg

Edited by viking73

Out-friggin-standing Derek!  I'm trying to whip this puppy into submission myself and was ready to toss it on the shelf of shame but you've rekindled my desire to see it through to the end.    And your build is every bit as good as anything Carl has done.  :salute: