1/48 Kinetic F/A-18A 77 Sqn RAAF

Hi Folks

This is my recently completed 1/48 Kinetic Hornet.  It represents A21-7 as she was circa 2006 with 77 Squadron and finally gave me a chance to use my Afterburner Decals Hornet sheet. 

I added some extra goodies into this project.
Resin Seat, Resin wheels (Nose-AMS resin , Main - Attack Squadron), Resin burner cans (Attack Squadron).
AIM-132 ASRAAM from Airfix spares, Litening Pod from Tamiya spares and scratch modified TACTS pod.
Eduard etch set in the cockpit abd some epoxy putty intake FOD bungs. 

Paints used were MRP and SMS Lacquers.

Happily for me this model was awarded First place (1/48 Aircraft - Jet - Modified) and also Best Kinetic Model at Australian Model Expo 2019.

20190615-DSC_3713-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3714-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3715-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3717-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3719-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3722-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3728-XL.jpg

20190615-DSC_3729-XL.jpg

I hope you like her.

Cheers

Andrew P.

Thank guys.

2 hours ago, achterkirch said:

How did you do the lenses on the litening pod?

I punched some disks from self adhesive iridescent films. One side was over painted with Tamiya clear blue, the other with clear orange.  Under the studio lights it looks a bit funky.

Oh that's glorious! 

The Pod and the plugs are a very well executed addition. Nice work! And that in my opinion, is a well deserved first place. 

As an aside, I seem to see that A21-7 a fair bit flying around for displays and what not. Seems to be a good 'up' jet. 

Edited by Keroburner89
19 hours ago, Collin said:

Terrific build.  How was the nose and canopy on your kit...was it troublesome?  

Cheers

Collin

Thanks Collin

The nose wasn't particularly troublesome.  It can be a bit tricky in some areas but I think leaving off the bottom panel helps make sure the two sides of the nose line up with the main forward fuselage lower piece. The windscreen piece does require some removal of plastic from bottom of the front "fat lip" curved section to get a better sit.