Paint booth surface - What should I use?

So last summer I built myself a spray booth. It works great, but I'd like to have a surface that I could remove and clean easily inside the booth. I was thinking something like a sheet of acetal plastic (Delrin) that stands up to solvents, even to lacquer thinner. But for the size I need (29"x29"), it would be prohibitively expensive. Ideally I want something I can clean off, to a white surface. Any other thoughts?

I dont know if it will do what you want or not... but Acytel (delrin) sheets are not cost prohibitive.  

A 24" x 24" x 1/32" sheet is $15.97 from McMaster-Carr.   MisumiUSA probably has them too. 

Here is a link to all of the plastic sheets available from McMaster.  There are a lot of different materials... some expensive, some cheap.  Not all Delrin is stupid expensive.  This doesn't need to be structural or anything like that, so you don't need to get the most expensive version. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-plastic-sheets

Nylon is another (cheaper) option.  It is non-reactive to most chemicals, including laquer thinner.  The pipettes we commonly use in this hobby to transfer paint are made of nylon.  

Edited by BaconRaygun
  • 1 month later...

I use a peel and stick cupboard liner, easy to clean off after a paint session and easy to replace when it looses its adhesion to the material its attached to

My paint booth is 28" wide, `9" tall and 18" deep, made of white-painted (house paint) plywood.  It runs an old 80 CFM bathroom fan, behind two layers of cheapie household a/c filters.  I just prop up spare pieces of cardboard, some brown, some white, salvaged from various shipping boxes, to test spray pattern and thinners on, then discarded when no longer usable.  If you have an adequate fan, the paint should never hit the walls of the paint booth.

If you don't have a fan at all, then I second the Melamine  surface noted above, as it's pretty much impervious to most model paints, and if not, who cares?  After all, it's inside the paint booth...

Ed

" How about some Melamine surfaced particle board? You can get it at the Big Box DIY stores. I got some that was surfaced on both sides with white Melamine. I got the 2x4 foot size and it was very reasonably priced. "

What Bob said.

Really you should have just made the booth out of melamine to start with.

Steve

Any paint booth Will do the job even disposable cardboard/foam from school supplies, either from trash in super market , just improvise, a China electric fan or (recycle an old unit) even a couple of electronics cooling fan from PC will make job done . Safety first wiring properly cover and Wala. A working painting booth a foam rubber will work for filter (those used in air conditioner) making a dust free environment .

I just got a sale event in a hardware store and got a bargain for $35.00 a hole set of an old speedy airbrush with a piston compressor built for ever Is a simple air pump with a 50cc piston all metal electric motor and a bleed screw to adjust pressure that I closed. What I add to system was a valve with dial of pressure to regulate volume and a water/oil filter in hose cartridge, my air pump compressor have an air filter built-in .  Also you can buy a cheap units in a hardware store .

I seen a chamber with ultraviolet light home made to cure paint faster your worst enemies in paint is water ,oil, dust