Metallic paint

Im 13 and i live on Bosnia so i  dont have access to a lot of modelling tools and paints and dont have money for an airbrush

Does anybody know how to remove the brush strokes

And what is your opinion on Revell spray silver and aluminium colours

Edited by Nile

Hello Nile,

I am not an expert on brush painting, but what I have found so far is this:

- Use a good brush. By that I mean one that doesn't loose hair as if it was a doggo.

- Thin your colour. I use revell aqua acrylics and I found that they brush quite nicely if they are thinned with destilled or demineralised water. I thin them heavily and then brush several coats, each after the previous has dried. The first coat is going to be very translucent and subsequent coats are going to be a bit shaggy. But eventually, you'll get very even covering, and no brushmarks.

Now, with colour so thin you will likely experience some pooling. If that is the case you can just use a small brush and hold it to the offending area, it will suck up the excess.

I am sure there are colours that are better suited than revell aqua, but I have grown fond of them.

I have never used the spray, sorry.

Hope that helps a bit 🙂

Welcome Nile, let me add to what Shadrik has already talked about.  Definitely find a way to invest is some good paint brushes.  If you have access to a art store browse around and look for softer brushes made of something like sable.  You will probably want a couple of wider brushes to make painting larger areas easier and cut down on brush strokes.  I have used Lowe-Cornell brushes for over fifty years (yeak, I'm one of those really old guy model builders) and have never had a problem with them.  If you are carefull to care for the brushes properly, they should last you a number of years.  As noted above, paint in several thin coats instead of trying for one time coverage.  If you make it to a art store look for some acrylic retarder and flow enhancer.  Golden products makes some that are good and not that expensive.  Follow the directions for use and they should help with the brush marks going away.  I have not used Revel paints so no comment on them.  However, if you have a chance to pick up some Mr. Color metalic paints either at a hobby shop or online, they do brush paint very nicely.  Mr. Color makes a self-leveling thinner for their paints which acts as a flow enhancer and helps with brush strokes.  Again, go slowly and build your colors up using several thin coats.  It takes time and patience but you can learn to produce really nice finishes without using an air brush.  Not sure if you have explored other sites, but you might want to take a look at Britmodeller.com.  There are a lot of very good modelers in England who brush paint and you can find some really good information on that site regarding brush techniques.  Good luck and have fun.  HTH, Dave.

Nile,

If you live in the USA and can find a Michael's store near you, my son and I experimented with a couple of options for natural metal paint on his Monogram 1/48 B-17G kit.  Here is a link to the build album.  We ended up using Krylon Premium  Metallic Original Chrome spray paint for about $8.00 a can.  Michael's offers weekly coupons for up to 40 or 50% off one item, so we just waited for the coupon.  Michael's policy may not allow you to buy it at 13, so you may have to have your parent buy it.  Have fun storming the castle!

R/ Dutch

I was listening to the OTB podcast a few days ago and Ian suggests warming your paint bottle/tin in hot water before brushing it on. He says it helps level it before it dries.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, Nile said:

Im 13 and i live on Bosnia 

14 hours ago, Dutch said:

Nile,

If you live in the USA and can find a Michael's store near you, 

R/ Dutch

DOH !!! 

C2j

Agree that thinning is required. Also, the type of paint is important. I would avoid lacquers. Check out the videos on youtube for tutorials on brush painting. I searched for "brush paint models" and quite a list was provided. This is the first one in that list

On 6/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, Dutch said:

Can you send spray paint via international mail?

Maybe, if non-hazardous water based acrylics. Not sure about the propellants in the cans though. Enamels and lacquers, no way. Considered hazardous materials.

• 2 weeks later...