Are there any companies that make decals to order?

I would like to build the RNZAF Corsair NZ5350 "STRUGGLE BUGGY", but no-one makes decals for this aircraft. All I really need are the serials and cowling number and nickname as I can use Ventura decals for the rest.

Does anyone know of a company which could design and print these for me?

Here are two lists of custom decal companies:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/decals.htm#custom

All will do the printing for you, a few of them also offer doing the artwork design (it's usually listed). And that latter part is the expensive part, since it takes time and skill. I would not count on the cost being similar to a regular aftermarket sheet.

Another factor: do you have decent photos of the aircraft? Working from vague low-res pictures is very difficult. I searched a bit for NZ5350 "STRUGGLE BUGGY" and found one photo.. I can hardly read the a/c name, let alone determine what type of lettering was used..

If you learn CorelDraw or Illustrator you can solve most problems yourself, that would be my best recommendation.

Rob

2 hours ago, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Dutch

I believe JBot is not longer in business due to health reasons. His website is up but he is no longer making decals.

Have fun modeling

Mike

Mike,  Do you mean William Burns of CanMilAir?  R/ Dutch

Hi Dutch

I was talking about Jim from JBOT decals. He has decided to stop working in the decal business due to health reasons. I doubt that he will return. Although I have ordered from CanMilAir in the past, I don't know William Burns.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

22 hours ago, Dutch said:

Mike,  Do you mean William Burns of CanMilAir?  R/ Dutch

I went with Bedlam Creations on a build I did for the Revell Monogram  GB. They pretty much nailed it.

Edited by WymanV
no preview feature

I did a handful of decal commission jobs. Soon realized that it was a ton of work with little return, other than to make somebody happy. The problem is most people are used to decals costing a couple bucks, as they are, as one guy told me, "just printed pieces of paper." So they don't want to pay much. True, but the hand drafted and layed out artwork is time consuming and keeping the old Alps printer stocked with ribbons gets expensive. So, a waste of time, from a business perspective.

Bob at (the now closed) Sierra Scale Models

30 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

I did a handful of decal commission jobs. Soon realized that it was a ton of work with little return, other than to make somebody happy. The problem is most people are used to decals costing a couple bucks, as they are, as one guy told me, "just printed pieces of paper." So they don't want to pay much. True, but the hand drafted and layed out artwork is time consuming and keeping the old Alps printer stocked with ribbons gets expensive. So, a waste of time, from a business perspective.

Bob, I could not agree more with you! The cost of custom decal work is almost always underestimated, as if it's the same as buying an aftermarket sheet. I find that attitude difficult to understand, and it usually stops me from offering the service - just like you.

Artwork drawing, sizing for the model, communication with the customer, preparation for printing, it all adds up. Recently I did the sheet below. I spent four hours or more. Multiply that by your favorite hourly rate and you know the cost.

pacificavenger.jpg

Rob